Project Big Red

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw in one of the post the switches you used on the over head console where did you find them and how did you get the designs on them. And I quest I missed how you attached the console to the head liner. Thanks for all of your post on your build and the good information you found. Rodney

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question for you. I went through a whole bunch of your build, but there are a lot of pages to sort through and I couldn't find the answer. do you have a part number for your overhead console? I know it came from a f650 but when I search for one under that name I can never find one that matches yours. also what turbo did you end up going with in the end? i kinda lost track of that reading through everything.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quick question for you. I went through a whole bunch of your build, but there are a lot of pages to sort through and I couldn't find the answer. do you have a part number for your overhead console? I know it came from a f650 but when I search for one under that name I can never find one that matches yours. also what turbo did you end up going with in the end? i kinda lost track of that reading through everything.

This is the link to it with part number.

Rumor has it it’s on terminal backorder.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-console-asy-overhead-bc4z70519a70b

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just read all 190 pages of this build over the last couple weeks. Amazing work!!

I know the feeling about a build dragging on for years. I have an 84 Chevy K10 that I pulled in the shop in about May of 2013 for a squeeking wheel bearing. It is now complete stripped. Seems like life just doesn't want me to finish it! Most of the bodywork is done so hopefully I can get it in paint this summer but I'm not going to count on it, baby due beginning of next month so the house addition and family thing will probably take priority this year.

Hope I can get it done soon so I can get started on my 83 f250 though.

Keep up the good work.
James

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all thank you for the kind words. Second of all, you must have an awful lot of time on your hands. LOL

Big Red is hibernating till the salt washes away. I’ve got a couple more projects planned for early this year or as soon as I can peel myself off the couch. Stay tuned. We will resume shortly.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read this whole thread. Whoever said it's a museum piece, I agree I'd visit a museum that had stuff like your truck in it. This thread is basically the handbook of my dreams, excellent work on the truck your attention to detail is out of this world and that documentation is phenomenal. Thanks so much for taking the time to share all this!

This is me today --> https://www.oilburners.net/threads/91-f350-7-3idi-n-a-cclb-rwd-drw.84808/#post-1015955

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been a while since I’ve really done much to the truck. She’s been hibernating waiting for the salt to wash away. If you go back to last year, my big issue has been water temperature. I’ve pondered it a lot and the first thing to do after talking to a few other guys with new motorcraft clutches from Rock Auto, I changed the fan clutch for a Hayden. Not my first choice but it’s what I could reasonably get my hands on.

You must be registered for see images attach

I got it installed and as I put the shroud on I noticed there is a big gap between the shroud and the radiator at the top.

You must be registered for see images attach

I’M thinking that can’t be helping matters. I took it for a good drive. Seems to be running well. Of course it’s cool enough there’s no way the clutch would lock up now. So I stuffed cardboard in front of the radiator. The fan sound was different with the cardboard but I got the water temp to around 230 just sitting in the driveway. I think the fan locked up better but I couldn’t swear to it. I know it cooled down really fast when I pulled the cardboard out. I feel like I heard the sound change more as it cooled down. I dunno. Maybe with it not moving pushing heat at the clutch through the radiator it is slow to react. I don’t know. Guess I’ll find out when I hitch it up end of next month.

Several things to do before then.

1. Fuel pressure gauge - need to know if I’m starving it for fuel. I have it. Just need to install.

2. Spare tire carrier. Really want get that done to get the spare out of the bed.

3. Adjust timing- she’s set at 9.2-9.3 I’m going to back it off a little and see if I can build a little more boost down lower.

4. Probably do an oil change and send a sample off to see how bad my bearings are after the little oil loss hiccup.

That’s my my short list.