'91 F350 7.3IDI N/A CCLB RWD DRW

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new truck
You must be registered for see images
Just parking this thread here because I got a 6.0 to finish and a lot of other stuff to get done before I can give it much love and do a restoration thread, but someday,,,,

The truck has 180k miles, it's from SC for most of it's life which saved it, because it spent the last 6 years in Wildwood, NJ which if you've ever been there is one of the most corrosive places on earth. The floorboards are Flintstone style, the only thing between the cab and the road is the super thick mats they put in back then, but after that it's not unsavable. The outer rockers are ok, as are the doors and most of the cab, little in the usual places but mostly grindable, looks like only the lower fenders actually need cutting off.

The engine is the jewel. It's got 36k, was in a brand new international schoolbus that sat on a lot until it got scrapped, but not before somebody saved the motor. It is purrrdy. Got put in the truck in 2012 with 13 miles registered on it. I'll get pics soon as it gets delivered.

I bought this because I have a 6.0 that I'm rebuilding (I think the only other thread I started here), and it's not done and I need something to tow stuff with so I got this thing, and as much as I loved learning the 6.0 motor and doing the rebuild this thing just captivates me. It could not be simpler. The motor spins, the fuel pump arm flaps, pumps fuel to the injection pump, the pump spins and squirts fuel down the lines to the spring valve injectors that pop open when the pressure gets high enough. Literally, you connect the tank to the fuel pump and the throttle cable to the injection pump. No turbo, no fuel pump, no intercooler, no PCM, FICM, IPR, no nothing. One wire to turn it on and off and that's it. Mad max woulda killed for this thing, it will survive EMPs and will run on practically any greasy **** you pour in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I like it over here. The powerstroke forum is great, but even my 6.0 is starting to feel old over there and fugedabout IDIs. I don't miss skipping over threads like "Does the Ford Works Service Inclide DEF Fill Up" either :peelout

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's mine! :D Bought the guys whole rig, '06 Forest River Cedar Creek 5th Wheel and 1991 F350 7.3 Dually. The truck will never pull this RV again, that's what my 6-oh is for but it WILL be seeing a complete resto somewhere in the near future.

Just took delivery as it was getting dark, still have to go over it with a fine tooth comb, but from what I've found so far it's not that bad except for the Flintstone floor pans. I'll get better pics when I have some sunlight and a real camera but for now... here's my toys.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would so love to have a crew cab dually. I think you're lucky.

Thanks IDIBRONCO! I've been scouring craigslist for months looking for one, the only thing I didn't get was it has a E4OD and not the ZF 5 I was hoping for, but I can rectify that somewhere down the road after it gets the rest of the love it needs.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a day decent enough to go outside so I did triage on my new '91. I'm glad I read @laserjock build thread before I got a good look at it or I'd be more intimidated than I already am. This thing needs a bit more than the Maaco special the Craigslist ad said it needed, but nothing like the Frankentruck he dragged back from the grave.

I yanked the seats and mats to see what was lurking underneath. Not much under the mat on the driver side but a big hole. The bottoms of the A and B pillars are rusted away, not sure if that's part of the rocker or the pillar or what. The tops of the rocker and/or floor pan ridge that the molding rides on is gone.

It was all full of sand and I'm sure lot's of salt. It's a shame it went to live right literally on the water (he parked it at the bulkhead where his boat was tied) for the past 6 years, I'll bet it was nice when he got it from SC. I think I got my hands on it just in time before it did look like laser's truck before he started, it's ugly but still fixable. Ironically the cab corners and outer rockers are fine, just inside where sandy salty feet went is a mess.

Anyhoo, I'm gonna need a lot of help and advice on this I can tell already so thx in advance to all :D

P.S. I have a really cool horn for sale that I removed today. It was just kinda laying in the corner under the hood, if anyone is interest hit me up. :rotflmao

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad we have very little rust problems here. Every once in a while will find one rust out but not very often. So what are your plans, rebuilt it, find other cab. Or parts.

Jake60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one got the double-whammy of getting to live in the northeast which is bad enough cause they like to spread salt in what seems a 1:1 ratio to inches of snow around here. I get the feeling it's more about OT for the county workers than keeping me safe, but I digress. It also lived inches from the bay in Wildwood NJ, which is one of the saltiest places on earth. I'm sure it would be a pile of rust by now if it didn't get to spend it's first 20 tears in SC, a place that gets no salt or snow ever.

My first thought not long ago would have been to scrap it and find a new cab, but after reading some of the threads on this forum and seeing the kinds of major surgery some are doing on theirs I'm inspired to at least give cutting and welding a try. Worse case I butcher it, go find another cab and chalk it up to practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88