PICK A TURBO

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called ATS, Banks and Hypermax. I have a 89 F350 Ext Dully 7.3 with 106,000 on the clock. I found the hypermax turbo+exhaust+intercooler to be just a little more than the banks turbo+exhaust about 900. My question is sometime ago I read a article comparing these two for ease of install, quality, completeness, etc but dont think they compared performance. What does oilburners think?:dunno

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im a banks man even tho im building my own system but if i were buying one id go with banks its rlyy personal prefrance

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATS has decided to give the idi community a big :flipa so I would return the favor. Banks is wastegated so more boost down low and quicker spooling. Downside is nobody makes a bolt on intercooler for them. Hypermax still shows idi's and their owners respect and have great customer service. The big plus is everything is bolt on. Down side is it's not wastegated so it spools slower and has lower boost at lower rpm's, especially without a load. When loaded and all is said and done the power between all three will be close. If you factor in the intercooler with the hypermax vs no intercooler with banks and ATS, Hypermax wins. When all is said and done though, any of the turbos is going to be huge difference vs NA. Good luck;Sweet

Last edited:

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 3 brands get the job done. ATS is a pain to deal with sometimes as many members here will attest to. Banks makes some nice stuff for sure but i've never had any firsthand experience with their IDI gear. If I was in the position of having a N/A truck and wanted a complete and brand new turbo system with all the trimmings then I wouldnt hesitate a second with giving my business to Hypermax. Ive heard nothing but good things about them and have actually seen and ridden in a hypermax charged and cooled truck. It had gobs of usable power, sounded incredible, and ran like a scalded dog. The guy that owned it claimed it would walk a powerstroke at a moments notice. After riding in it, I tended to believe him......................plus they dont "stroke" you when you need service/replacement parts. Pun intended on the "stroke"..........

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hypermax intercooler should work with any turbo. I wish I could find that article to read again comparing these turbos kits.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Called ATS today, guy had nothing good to say.:backoff IDI stuff wasnt cost effective for them to carry anymore. Looking for a rebuild kit for my 093 right now-cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Called ATS today, guy had nothing good to say.:backoff IDI stuff wasnt cost effective for them to carry anymore. Looking for a rebuild kit for my 093 right now-cuss
get a hold of Typ4 for a rebuild kit.
I like ATS due to the sheer number of 093 kits out there and the fact non of the parts are proprietary like Banks. what does that mean? When it comes to rebuilding a 093, it's the easiest compared to Hypermax and especially Banks. If you need a cold side wheel for your wastegated Banks turbo, you are screwed. Hypermax is also a good turbo, but I like my turbo coming on wey down low in the rpm range. that's something Hypermax can't do.
All of them are good/bad/ugly, none of them outshines the other, it's the ******** you're willing to tolerate when looking for parts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Banks al the way for me. I have two of them. I keep a spare everything. When I needed to rebuild my first Banks wastegated turbo I found out it was nope... We don't sell parts but we can sell you a new bolton turbo for $1100.00... So I bought it and then went about rebuilding my other turbo. The hot side wheel was damaged and thats part of the shaft so.... It was very tuff finding the parts. Its a mistubishi turbo and the factory overseas will sell you anything you give them the part number for.... Crappy way to make a living I'm thinking. The rebuild kits for the Banks units are plentiful and cheap. The aluminum cold side wheel is easy and plentiful to find also. Just don't think your going to find the hot wheel and shaft combo anywhere easy.... BTW the hot wheel is inconel material too.... Really a great but expensive material. Don't try to rebuild these turbos at home. They need to be balanced. They spin higher than around 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second.....:eek::sly If I was spinning that fast I guess I would whistle too.:D
BTW ebay has a place listed thats selling new Banks turbo kits way less than the Banks factory is. They are in Torrance Ca too. If you install a turbo we don't find the need for a muffler because the turbo chops up the sound signiture so well. Most around here just run a 3 or 4 inch straight pipe and they are not loud at all.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Banks al the way for me. I have two of them. I keep a spare everything. When I needed to rebuild my first Banks wastegated turbo I found out it was nope... We don't sell parts but we can sell you a new bolton turbo for $1100.00... So I bought it and then went about rebuilding my other turbo. The hot side wheel was damaged and thats part of the shaft so.... It was very tuff finding the parts. Its a mistubishi turbo and the factory overseas will sell you anything you give them the part number for.... Crappy way to make a living I'm thinking. The rebuild kits for the Banks units are plentiful and cheap. The aluminum cold side wheel is easy and plentiful to find also. Just don't think your going to find the hot wheel and shaft combo anywhere easy.... BTW the hot wheel is inconel material too.... Really a great but expensive material. Don't try to rebuild these turbos at home. They need to be balanced. They spin higher than around 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second.....:eek::sly If I was spinning that fast I guess I would whistle too.:D
BTW ebay has a place listed thats selling new Banks turbo kits way less than the Banks factory is. They are in Torrance Ca too. If you install a turbo we don't find the need for a muffler because the turbo chops up the sound signiture so well. Most around here just run a 3 or 4 inch straight pipe and they are not loud at all.

i agree on the banks. IMO they are the best bang for the buck. theres a guy here in town with a bricknose cc dually 2wd with a 7.3 idi banks turbo and that thing will roll! he uses it for a work truck but man! he must of been late for a job or something but he took off like a bat out of hell. roasting tires, blowing smoke, and jammin gears. not sure what else is done to it but it flat haul a$$! would put any stock obs stroker to shame in a heart beat! just my thoughts on it. and i dont think a n/a engine with a straight pipe is loud. i have a 3" straight pipe on my n/a engine and its not loud at all!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I will say about mitsubishi, is they seem to know how to make a screaming turbo. I can't really prove it, but my feeling is pound for pound a mitsu turbo will out perform a garrett. I still can't get over how small the turbocharger in the diesel ranger is, and it will SING with plenty of boost even now that it could use a rebuild. Hang on to something with the wastegate disabled and fuel turned up...

On thing nobodys asked so far is:

How easy is it to access the top of the engine with each of these turbochargers?
I am able to replace all my injectors and glow plugs without having to remove anything more than the airbox on my 088 ATS (older, non gated).

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few ats 093 trucks and a few with early Banks. I myself prefer the waste gated models since I want now power over later. Also less smoke at lower rpms when using wmo. I totally agree with Towcat's post. I don't like to purchase expensive items new. I'd much rather buy a used 093 for $6-700or even a Banks sidewinter used then freshen up a turbo and away I go. Better yet buy a truck to part then get away for even less or a modest profit. An ats turbo is generic and rebuild parts are easily found. The only part that is proving difficult to find is the turbo drain grommet. Any "good" turbo shop can still get them but if you can't find them then figure out a way to make one. I bought 2 last year from Diamond Diesel and Turbo Service in Reno. They cost way too much but the guy acted like he can get them all the time.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On thing nobodys asked so far is:

How easy is it to access the top of the engine with each of these turbochargers?
I am able to replace all my injectors and glow plugs without having to remove anything more than the airbox on my 088 ATS (older, non gated).

I don't have to take off anything. ;Really

You must be registered for see images

Hypermax all the way for me. Simplicity, symetry, and I feel like I'm sending my money to a worthy cause. Banks makes nice stuff, but Gale Banks has attitude, not always in the right direction.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Hypermax may be the way to go, I called them today, very customer friendly, and can get turbo+exhaust+intercooler at a package deal. Banks has a sale now for turbo+exhaust for 2962.00. Hypermax only a little more with intercooler. I have an interesting question that came up through this. The banks sales person commented that a intercooler for these turbos (low PSI) is not very effective, they explained that the air is not compressed as much and then does not heat up as much making a intercooler not cost effective with little gain. What do you all think?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I think Hypermax may be the way to go, I called them today, very customer friendly, and can get turbo+exhaust+intercooler at a package deal. Banks has a sale now for turbo+exhaust for 2962.00. Hypermax only a little more with intercooler. I have an interesting question that came up through this. The banks sales person commented that a intercooler for these turbos (low PSI) is not very effective, they explained that the air is not compressed as much and then does not heat up as much making a intercooler not cost effective with little gain. What do you all think?

Personally I think that Banks is basing this off their 3-7psi of boost reccomendations and that may be true at those boost levels.:rolleyes: For anyone who wants to push the performance envelope, 15psi is more like it and an intercooler will absolutely be useful at that level.:sly I know I can approach 15psi with an ATS and figure Banks and Hypermax would be in that running with the fuel screw turned up. Can anyone attest to that?