PICK A TURBO

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your gonna be single digit or low doubles then that is correct. More then that the IC helps keep egts lowered

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Go with Hypermax, In a few years, they are still going to be there for you. ATS will treat you like a doormat, I've never been treated so rudely by a company that I've spent money with before.
My turbo is non wastegated just like teh hypermax and with one of their cowl inductions on there it build boost FAST if I want it to, but most of the time Im towing and non wastegated shines out when pulling heavy. The folks at Hypermax are always helpful and have time for you, and they are the only company out there that is still actively developing products for our engines, while everyone else is burning up old stock until we go away.Hypermax also has a long history with the IDI engine, They probably know more about the things than anyone considering what they've accomplished

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so what is the turbo clearance of an ATS 088 turbo and a Hypermax turbo from the intake? I was wondering for a future project of mine. Lol. Also what are the up pipe sizes on those turbos?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have to take off anything. ;Really

You must be registered for see images

Hypermax all the way for me. Simplicity, symetry, and I feel like I'm sending my money to a worthy cause. Banks makes nice stuff, but Gale Banks has attitude, not always in the right direction.

Well thats definately a plus for the hypermax;Sweet

So what about performance? Will that setup keep up with a wastegated turbo?

I'll admit its worth considering that hypermax is still actively supporting the IDI engine, but I've yet to see a performance comparison to the others.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Well thats definately a plus for the hypermax;Sweet

So what about performance? Will that setup keep up with a wastegated turbo?

I'll admit its worth considering that hypermax is still actively supporting the IDI engine, but I've yet to see a performance comparison to the others.

It should keep up pretty well as the non-wastegated Hypermax turbo has the same size hot side as the wastegated ATS and Banks kits. I think it was .80A/R when I looked? I know my old Banks non-wastegated had a HUGE hot side 1.00A/R...:dunno

Go with Hypermax, In a few years, they are still going to be there for you. ATS will treat you like a doormat, I've never been treated so rudely by a company that I've spent money with before.
My turbo is non wastegated just like teh hypermax and with one of their cowl inductions on there it build boost FAST if I want it to, but most of the time Im towing and non wastegated shines out when pulling heavy. The folks at Hypermax are always helpful and have time for you, and they are the only company out there that is still actively developing products for our engines, while everyone else is burning up old stock until we go away.Hypermax also has a long history with the IDI engine, They probably know more about the things than anyone considering what they've accomplished

I absolutely agree. In fact, here is a little taste of the background with our IDIs...

Attachments

• dadiesel.jpg
    dadiesel.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 900IDI.jpg
    900IDI.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 28

jayel73

Reaction score
I'm in the process of working out how to best re-arranging my tiny engine bay to fit an intercooler in my van, doghouse is off so I took a looksee. The hypermax garret turbo is setup 0.70 cold and 1.15 exhaust.
With a stock pump I was seeing just about on 15psi and 1300 on the pyro.
I think an intercooler would be beneficial...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... oh, and the pulse pipes are 1 3/4in each with 2 1/2 in to the exhaust.

Wow those are small pipes too, but I guess they work. Also to clarify my other question, what is the spacing from the edge of the closest part of the turbo to the edge if the intake hole if the hat was off?

Same questions for the ATS 088 also.

jayel73

Reaction score
1 3/4 a piece... so 2 1/2 all round.

My fingers don't fit between the turbo and the intake... pretty tight.

here is some pics...

Attachments

• DriversideRear.jpg
    DriversideRear.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PassengerRear.jpg
    PassengerRear.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 30062011761.jpg
    30062011761.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 8

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 3/4 a piece... so 2 1/2 all round.

My fingers don't fit between the turbo and the intake... pretty tight.

here is some pics...

Damn I didn't know it was that tight. Hopefully, the ATS 088 has a lil bit more clearance. Ohh and thanks for the pics. That was really helpful.

2stroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
answer for 78fordf150 banks price now a special 2962.00 turbo+exhaust system and hypermax a special for this turbo+exhaust+intercooler+3"vacuum/egt meter in a housing for 3636.60

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online