Turbo kit mfg's

Black dawg

Reaction score
Was just on Hypermax's site and they have a kit without exhaust. I think I know the answer to this one but I'm gonna ask anyway--stud it or no. The 7.3 is a ******. Never been opened up. Runs like sewing machine. I don't have a garage or lift like I did up north so pulling the motor to stud it would be tough. Keeping out of the weather would be tough.
I dont know at what power level studs are needed, but it isnt with a stock 7.3 fuel pump and any of the standard turbo kits.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've always heard that anything over 12psi of boost and you want to strongly consider it...

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend money on a hypermax they leave a good bit to be desired

Idiperformance.com also sells new turbo kits.
If r&d is too much I would look for a used turbo kit and depending on condition have the turbo rebuilt.
Used kits can be had for about 1000
My preference is ats 093 or factory turbo kits as they are almost identical. The most prevelant and have the most aftermarket support available

Yes Nero is accurate anything over 12 psi studs should be highly considered
Under it especially on a 7.3 don't worry about it

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have heard that many times also. From what I have driven personally and with the number of these trucks I have been around/worked on, head gaskets are a non issue on a 7.3 idi........aside from coolant leaks around the corners.
I've always heard that anything over 12psi of boost and you want to strongly consider it...

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't spend money on a hypermax they leave a good bit to be desired

Idiperformance.com also sells new turbo kits.
If r&d is too much I would look for a used turbo kit and depending on condition have the turbo rebuilt.
Used kits can be had for about 1000
My preference is ats 093 or factory turbo kits as they are almost identical. The most prevelant and have the most aftermarket support available

Yes Nero is accurate anything over 12 psi studs should be highly considered
Under it especially on a 7.3 don't worry about it
Definitely agree to skip the hypermax. IIRC the turbo platform is proprietary and non-upgradable.

Wes at CDD also has full kits. Not sure what your budget is but new hypermax kits are $2700+. Same coin with Wes gets you better everything and especially a much more efficient and modern turbo.
Also comes with a 3" downpipe that will wake up the beast. Stock DP hurts it even at low boost levels due to restrictions.

From what I've read Justin has an equivalent setup at R&D.

I would recommend you re-torque the head bolts, it was actually a Ford factory service adjustment at around 50k.
But it's a great idea for running boost. I've gotten up to 15psi, 14 sustained and aftercooled. Gives great peice of mind to know they are torqued correctly-- I had a bunch of coolant weeping at the back corners and this all but fixed it. I lose almost none these days.
As I re-torqued I found some of the head bolts were nearly loose and didn't take much to break free. (You break them loose 1/4 turn then torque to spec. Then go back over everything again, all using the correct sequencing pattern.)

Bear in mind that 4psi of boost on any stock style platform-- Banks, Hypermax, or ATS-- will have no real gain over a well-running N/A. The OE Ford turbo (made by ATS) system gained like 5hp/10ft-lbs over stock at 5psi of boost.

FWIW a turbo with 3" downpipe is the best mod ever. Next best is charge air cooling. It takes the same compressed air and makes it more dense so more fuel can be used, without making more danger to blowing head gaskets.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
To add onto adding a charge air cooler... It also helps lower overall Egt's, same with putting a bigger exhaust on it.

Wes at CDD is also good at answering any questions you may have if you have any hangups with install, diag, or fine tuning.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all . I've been working so I haven't had much time to research. From what I've seen Banks sells a complete kit--exhaust which I don't need. I haven't seen any other variation for sale. Wes' kit is complete-oil lines, gaskets and all? I see the turbo needs an oil line but didn't see it on his site, unless I overlooked something. I haven't messaged Russ. Don't want to bother with questions about prices. So stay away from Hypermax, correct? my budget is around 3k

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yes, I can say from experience that Wes's kit has the pedistal, oil feed line with fittings, and the exhaust pipes. You'll have to pick the turbo you want.

As a warning, if you have AC, you cannot use his 4" cold air intake, but he has factory air boxes he can ship instead, give him a call first and discuss it.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That r&d kit looks good, but it's a bit out of my price range. Going to go back and check Wes' site. I haven't put the prices together.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
CDD's kit with turbo is $2750, but like I said if you opt out of the 4" intake, you'll save about $400.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online