Parts source

71cc

Reaction score
Since I have my engine stripped down I am going to reseal everything and paint.I will need probably everything short of head gaskets.All the parts stores have to order the gaskets. Is there a brand or source preference for them? It appears that Felpro is all that is available.The prices are double that of most applications. Is there a kit that will save me money from piecing together what I need? Right now my local O'reilly's Parts store is looking good..

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
there is this from rockauto for a little under $90...

"FEL-PRO Part # CS8891 More Info {Conversion Gasket Set - Gasket set for the lower half of the engine block. Typically includes oil pan gasket, front and rear crankshaft seals and the timing cover gasket.}"

Cannot help with which brand is best much but I know RockAuto has a pretty good history for prices with me. Also maybe check ebay; I have had some good luck with "engine gasket kits" for motorcycles. Not sure about the bigger applications though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you want better quality gaskets instead of consumer grade, you can get the Victor Reinz gaskets at Car Quest. Should be one in your area.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Navistar (International) has a complete kit for you. That's what I used.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you have the engine out and on a stand you really should change head gaskets now and make sure the valve guides and all related components are in excellent shape. No need to have to do this twice. Also, definitely, definitely do the oil cooler, it will always be harder. I don't want to brag on my Victor-Reinz gaskets but I used them with some fear as everyone was recommending Fel-Pro. I had bought a set of Fel-Pro but ruined the first set lowering my heads on.... and it was Thanksgiving weekend and only NAPA could have gaskets in a timely fashion so I used the Victor-Reinz and hoped for the best. They have been fine for the last almost 50,000 miles, but I know that could change anytime....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a comment here.... and I may have mentioned it before, but consider this. When I was working field service, one of my customers was Armstrong World Industries. One of their departments made gaskets for OEM's. They had a nice little building out back with an engine dyno. They were doing gaskets for Cummins at the time, but did most of the gaskets for many other builders. I got to be friends with the tech in there, as I was servicing PC's that were doing data collection on the engines they had running. One of the things he told me was that when they did a gasket for an engine, the customer would provide the engine and the specs. They would design and build the gasket, then put it in the motor and run the motor at its rated full horsepower and RPM until something gave out. He said by the time the gasket design was finalized for the given builder, the gasket was not the failure poiint anymore. I'm trying to envision in my mind how other companies that make gaskets go about testing them. Here you have a company, spending all this money with Armstrong, to build the best possible gasket for that particular engine, and they devote hundreds of hours to testing it. Then you have other companies that don't make engines, but just gaskets. I wonder how they can purport to be as good given the fact that they cannot possibly test hundreds of gaskets like that.