Pending Machine Work

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just curious, why would you reuse the pistons? just to save money or are the old pistons better quality than the new ones?
Better than new IMO, all other things being equal, Genuine Mahle are the best.

ihc1470

Reaction score
I made it to Lewiston today. The guy I had in mind is no longer doing diesels. The shop he worked at when I was using him is no longer in business. So I struck out for you, sorry. Pat did say that cylinders 6 and 8 were the ones that normally showed cavitation issues if that helps you any.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made it to Lewiston today. The guy I had in mind is no longer doing diesels. The shop he worked at when I was using him is no longer in business. So I struck out for you, sorry. Pat did say that cylinders 6 and 8 were the ones that normally showed cavitation issues if that helps you any.

If they are bad, you can Sleeve the Cylinders.

Give Justin a call at R & D IDI Performance in Gillette, Wy. a good 12 hr drive or so.
get your engine back and it will be done right.

Goat

THSIM9

Reaction score
I appreciate the follow through!

THSIM9

Reaction score
Little update on my situation here. The shop got the heads cleaned up and magnafluxed, no issues there. They were able to get me some stellite valves, and bronze valve guides, I left my brand new set of Comp springs with them for install. Should be getting completely rebuilt heads back this Friday or first part of next week.

Am I completely off my rocker to leave the damaged piston in place? I’m having some heart burn about having any work done to the block or buying any new pistons. I am currently considering compression testing all cylinders once I get the heads back and if everything tests good just running it as is. If I have any bad cylinders then I’m going to be looking at getting new pistons and having the block checked/machined accordingly.

Open to suggestions/ verbal abuse for being a dummy.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Leaving a damaged piston in a block is NOT a good idea. You are spending money on rebuilding the heads but you don't want to build the block? Not a good idea from my position. You maybe building a bomb!
I agree. I would, at the minimum, replace the one piston and re ring the others. Have the cylinders honed and have the rod checked out to make sure that it hasn't been bent. You actually have two damaged pistons so I would highly recommend taking care of that. I don't like telling people to spend money, but, as Dave said, you're probably looking at a time bomb here.

THSIM9

Reaction score
Leaving a damaged piston in a block is NOT a good idea. You are spending money on rebuilding the heads but you don't want to build the block? Not a good idea from my position. You maybe building a bomb!

I agree. I would, at the minimum, replace the one piston and re ring the others. Have the cylinders honed and have the rod checked out to make sure that it hasn't been bent. You actually have two damaged pistons so I would highly recommend taking care of that. I don't like telling people to spend money, but, as Dave said, you're probably looking at a time bomb here.

10-4 thanks for the advice.

I was pretty bummed out when I got the heads off and found this other damaged piston. I was already deep into the pockets in parts and didn’t budget for all the machine work. But I guess if you want to play with 30+ year old stuff you probably should assume you will need it. Rookie mistake.

Biggest heart burn I’m having is just finding someone reliable, I seem to have found a good cylinder head shop but they do not do anything for machining the actual block. They did give me a recommendation so looks like I might have to give them a call. Lots of folks on here seem to have words of caution/wisdom for getting machine work done.

Anything I need to tell the block guys? I know these are high nickel blocks and can be tough to machine, I also would love to avoid any sort of boring/sleeving if at all possible. Open to suggestions and or words of wisdom.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you're not in a rush to get the engine back, you could reach out to Justin at R&D for a build.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not in a rush to get the engine back, you could reach out to Justin at R&D for a build.
That’s my plan once I get a spare motor… not many that aren’t in trucks, in my area.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That’s my plan once I get a spare motor… not many that aren’t in trucks, in my area.
I would just send my whole engine, if it weren't that my engine only has like 97k on it, doesn't make sense to have the bottom end taken apart yet.

ihc1470

Reaction score
Call Pat at 208-305-4540 he is originally from Southern Idaho and he told me of 3-4 shops that he was aware of the day I talked to him. He may be able to steer you in a good direction.

At the very least I would pull the damaged pistons and have them checked along with the rods. Used pistons if you could find them would be OK in my book as long as they are within specs.

If you need a block or other parts the two yards in the Grangeville area have several sitting in frame. Even a couple of power strokes. Could not tell you if the IDI's were 6.9 or 7.3 as I was looking for cruise control parts just noticed the assembly's.

THSIM9

Reaction score
Heads should be done today. Hoping to pick them up tomorrow.

Went ahead and bought the tools to measure the block and check tolerances, everything is in spec and looks really good. So I decided to do all new pistons/rings which should arrive on Friday. Turbo/IC kit from CDD is in the mail as we speak. Should be assembling the engine starting this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online