parallel turbos

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what i plan on doing for the return, drill two holes in the block off for the fitting. not for sure how well it will work out, but will make it happen

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Are you still wanting to do a Cat pump? Just wanted to make sure you know about our 205cc Super Moose pump.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i still plan on the cat pump, i will go through it an try an get around 250cc out of it. so that is latter on down the road, first is getting the twins on then it head work an oring + lager bolts.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the way you think on the oil return. I may do mine that way since it's going to be a hodge podge anyway.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh...you got TWO of my turbos. holy ****! I still really want twins...twice the fun!

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for any delays, got a second project that is mobile a 71 f100 with a rebuild 390 so can alternate witch one is getting work done. then thinking I could be content with one milwaukie tool a 1/2in impact, that proved wrong an fell down a rabbit hole an could not stop there so nice. got one more on its way a 3/8in impact so think i could be content for a bit with a full bag plus one straggler, that magic bag snuck around $1500 out my pocket but i aint complaining. I will now start buying up more gizmos out the tantalizing mail order catalog for this project

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thought they switched from the F100 to the F150 in 67.
either way, if its a short bed or even a step, im jealous...
i need to work on my 71 camper special!

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no its a sport custom with full size bed

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only glanced at the first page of this thread real quick... But for what it's worth, I know that the turbo on my 2000 Saab 9-5 is capable of 18 lbs with a boost controller..... It's a 2.3L B235R engine... Mitsubishi turbo. Can't remember turbo model name or # off the top of my head.

Figured I'd mention it. Everyone forgets Saab usually because they tanked... But there's usually plenty of em at yards to pull from.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
what i plan on doing for the return, drill two holes in the block off for the fitting. not for sure how well it will work out, but will make it happen

My Holset drains thru a fitting like that into the pan on the 6.9. When I was changing to the 7.3, I used a galley plug in the head. I can't find a photo of it, but there is one on each end of each head that joins the drain hole from the rockers to the basement. Better than drilling the pan...Usually a dual turbo set up is comprised of a low pressure and a high pressure pair to cover the RPM bandwidth with out sending overboost to a blowoff or wastegate. This gives low end power quickly from the small one, and the larger one takes the top end. These engines have boost limits that are easily reached for durability, and easily exceeded for impracticality purposes. I'll be watching your progress with interest...

71 Highboy

Reaction score
I only glanced at the first page of this thread real quick... But for what it's worth, I know that the turbo on my 2000 Saab 9-5 is capable of 18 lbs with a boost controller..... It's a 2.3L B235R engine... Mitsubishi turbo. Can't remember turbo model name or # off the top of my head.

Figured I'd mention it. Everyone forgets Saab usually because they tanked... But there's usually plenty of em at yards to pull from.

One of these would be good for the low side in his two spool system. I would plumb both banks exhaust to a dual plane collector, with both big and small turbos being driven from both banks. A lot of heat will be generated, and a lot of room will be needed.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
no its a sport custom with full size bed

This 1971 truck had all the sport custom trim on it when I bought it in 1974. It was a little beat up from the woods so I took it all off.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but there is one on each end of each head that joins the drain hole from the rockers to the basement. Better than drilling the pan...

Thank will keep that in mind when I get back to this

Usually a dual turbo set up is comprised of a low pressure and a high pressure pair to cover the RPM bandwidth with out sending overboost to a blowoff or wastegate. This gives low end power quickly from the small one, and the larger one takes the top end.

I am chossing this route for efficiency and ease of repair, I hate the thought of failed veins in a d-max. I would like to not subject my self to that type punishment for working on my own truck. Also with designe of layout for the pipes to the factory location, there would be a bit of heat loss from the drivers side. My thought is to split the heat load between two smaller turbos that would be near the heat for least heat loss, would also make it easy to work on.

Most OM617s got Garrett T0301 turbos. Some of them got *** turbos. The *** turbos have a more easily-adjustable wastegate, so they are more desirable, but I've never actually seen one, just read about them. Of the dozens of OM617-powered diesel MBZs I've seen, all of them had Garrett turbochargers. You can sometimes get these very cheap, but then you'll have to rebuild them in most cases. I rebuilt one off an '85 and I had to replace the compressor wheel.

That would be a good ideal if could find two in the junk yard for cheap, they do have a interesting mount that would not be too hard to replicate and like the bellow with swivel pipe that is included. I would mount more on the front since where the out puts would be for drivers side van manafolds.

Last edited: