parallel turbos

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking about running parallel turbos, trying to figer out about what size would work out. like how well would turbos off like mercedes 300dt, volvo 240, or audi tt work out.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was going to do it is do twin PSD turbos but a you'd need a fully built motor and tranny.theres a company selling exhaust manifold blanks to build custom headers are you talking twin turbos right?

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a guy on here that has a running parallel set up. dont think he ever said what turbos he is currently running

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
psd turbos have a slow spool up as a singe, so a pair of them would not work out. I plan on getting the j2 cam an runnig a 3208 pump, for the tranny Im going to get a fs6406a or fs8406a. my goal with the motor is to have around 500hp

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a 60-68 may work out, I am trying to figer how to claculate what size would be ideal

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your goal? Why do you want 2 turbos? What's the design boost / flow..... start with what you're looking to achieve and work back from there. Once you decide that, then you can look at what common turbos do and try to decide what would fit best for your needs.

For a ballpark, a turbo off a 3-4L diesel should work decently. Not sure what's readily available in that engine size though. Maybe a Mercedes. Most of the gasser turbos I can think of are small (2-2.5L) and they don't make much boost. (Volvo 240/760 is 2.1 or 2.3L and max ~7 psi) so the turbo would probably be way too small even for half a idi.

Probably when all is said and done, a single conventional turbo will get you what you want with much less hassle and cost though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two turbos that would spool well and meet close to your goal might be two Hy35s. If you want better flow a pair of Hx35s would work as well. Those turbos have 57mm inducers and would work decently and are cheap and easy to find. If you want to spend a lil more money, you could go with a smaller Borg Warner S300 type turbo. With as much fuel as a 3208 IP can make, your goal will be easily attainable. On top of that, the J2 cam would allow you to run more boost due to higher compression bleed. I too plan to do a 3208 pump eventually. But that will be later down the line after I save up some money on deployment. I am gonna run my J2 cam that still needs to be installed.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there were volvos from the 80s that got t3 Garrett turbos, the 300td's got stuff like TBO35/TBO359/TA0314, an I have found TT's with about same size (not for sure if they were stock). so I need to hunt for matching 60 trim turbos. I want to go twin cause I can get a faster spool up than 1 large vs speending a lot on one large turbo to get close to same spool rate at same flow. if was to speend money on twins with billet wheels I could have an unmatchable spoole up rate. that an get to have side pipes:sly

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177091

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do two hx30 set-up. Holset are durable diesel turbos found on Cummins 4bt & 6bt engines. Find rebuild for real cheap. Make about 18 on stock engine. That's about 36 combined. Saw a single hx30 on a p pump 4bt make about 40 psi with a lot of fuel and supporting mods

Last edited:

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to do two hx30 set-up. Holders are durable diesel turbos found on Cummins 4bt & 6bt engines. Find rebuild for real cheap. Make about 18 on stock engine. That's about 36 combined. Saw a single hx30 on a p pump 4bt make about 40 psi with a lot of fuel and supporting mods

When you put two turbos on you are not going to double the psi just because you double the turbo, you are only going to double the volume of air, and if you make 18 psi with one turbo connected to both banks, when you separate it to one turbo per bank, you are probably going to lose psi because you have less volume of exhaust going through it and what not. Also, I believe you mean holset turbos

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there were volvos from the 80s that got t3 Garrett turbos, the 300td's got stuff like TBO35/TBO359/TA0314, an I have found TT's with about same size (not for sure if they were stock). so I need to hunt for matching 60 trim turbos. I want to go twin cause I can get a faster spool up than 1 large vs speending a lot on one large turbo to get close to same spool rate at same flow. if was to speend money on twins with billet wheels I could have an unmatchable spoole up rate. that an get to have side pipes:sly

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177091

If you want twins for the quicker spool up rate, I would look into a compound setup with a relatively small turbo spooling a bigger one, that way you get quick spool with decent boost and a large volume of air. With twins I would thing if you go small enough to have quick spool and high pressure your going to have a relatively low volume of air, and if you go with relatively big turbos it would produce a lot of air but would probably take forever to boost it. I personally would go with compounds to get the best of both worlds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online