Automatically priming fuel system hack

bumblebeer

Reaction score
I finally managed to fix all my fuel leaks, but I'm still dealing with an air intrusion issue. After sitting for a while, usually overnight, she starts and then dies after a couple of seconds. Then I have to crank for a while to get it started again. Afterwards it runs rough for a minute, then settles down and runs just fine for the rest of for the day. Classic air intrusion / fuel drain back issue. The correct thing to do would be to chase down the problem and fix it. But... I don't have any actual fuel leaks, and other than the rough starting, it runs just fine. And I'm planning to do a WVO conversion on this rig when winter come around. I'll take the time to actually track down and fix the issue at that point, but in the meantime, I wanted to do something to prevent the starting trouble.

I know some folks will run an electric fuel pump in parallel with the mechanical pump and run it to a momentary switch in the cab. But I didn't like the idea of running a switch, drilling the dash, etc, just for a temporary hack. So I present to you "The Auto-Magically Self-Priming Fuel System Hack"

You must be registered for see images attach

Electrical diagram on left, fuel diagram on right.

I put a cheap ~$20 fuel pump in line with the mechanical pump with a couple of check valves to control flow. Then, instead of running a switch to the cab, I pigtailed a relay. Fed the hot for the control from the ignition switch lead on top of the GP relay, and then grounded it out to the control terminal on the GP relay where the white wire is connected. Pulled hot for the pump from the hot side of the starter relay and used an inline fuse. Grounded the pump out to the passenger fender. Zip tied the relay and everything together on top of the passenger wheel well. If you wanted a cleaner or more permanent install, I reckon you could use a spare relay slot in your fuse box.

Connected like this, the electric fuel pump only runs when the glow plugs are running. Works like a hot damn! If the engine is cool enough to need to run the glow plugs, then it may have lost prime, so you'd probably want to run the prime pump. The cooler the engine, the longer the pump runs. If the engine is hot enough not to need the plugs, then it probably hasn't lost prime, so no need to run the pump. Once the wait to start light (glow plugs) turns off so does the electric pump, and you're good to start.

Basically you're only running the prime pump when you'd most likely need it, and running it proportionally to how much air may be in the fuel system. And it's turning off before the mechanical pump takes over. And it's all being done automatically. :Thumbs Up The only time I could see there being an issue is if you have a serious leak back issue, or if the truck sits for an extended period of time. Then the electric pump may not run long enough to restore prime, but in that case you could just cycle the glow plugs a couple of times.

Anyway, figured I'd share what I thought was a pretty neat hack. Cheers y'all!

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freaking brilliant !!! I have bypassed my GP controller and now I can give it a job !

Excellent thinking...! Now I gotta dig up a pump and maybe a regulator...

What do I use for one-way check valves..?

bumblebeer

Reaction score
Freaking brilliant !!! I have bypassed my GP controller and now I can give it a job !

Excellent thinking...! Now I gotta dig up a pump and maybe a regulator...

What do I use for one-way check valves..?

Since the pump relies on a functional GP controller, it may be less that ideal to hook it up to one that has been bypassed. It would be difficult to know if the pump was running or when it has shut off if the wait to start light has been disabled.

Since this is intended to be temporary, I used some cheap fuel checks from Amazon. If you want this to be a permanent mod I'd get some nice brass diesel rated checks, maybe from McMaster.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally managed to fix all my fuel leaks, but I'm still dealing with an air intrusion issue. After sitting for a while, usually overnight, she starts and then dies after a couple of seconds. Then I have to crank for a while to get it started again. Afterwards it runs rough for a minute, then settles down and runs just fine for the rest of for the day. Classic air intrusion / fuel drain back issue. The correct thing to do would be to chase down the problem and fix it. But... I don't have any actual fuel leaks, and other than the rough starting, it runs just fine. And I'm planning to do a WVO conversion on this rig when winter come around. I'll take the time to actually track down and fix the issue at that point, but in the meantime, I wanted to do something to prevent the starting trouble.

I know some folks will run an electric fuel pump in parallel with the mechanical pump and run it to a momentary switch in the cab. But I didn't like the idea of running a switch, drilling the dash, etc, just for a temporary hack. So I present to you "The Auto-Magically Self-Priming Fuel System Hack"

You must be registered for see images attach

Electrical diagram on left, fuel diagram on right.

I put a cheap ~$20 fuel pump in line with the mechanical pump with a couple of check valves to control flow. Then, instead of running a switch to the cab, I pigtailed a relay. Fed the hot for the control from the ignition switch lead on top of the GP relay, and then grounded it out to the control terminal on the GP relay where the white wire is connected. Pulled hot for the pump from the hot side of the starter relay and used an inline fuse. Grounded the pump out to the passenger fender. Zip tied the relay and everything together on top of the passenger wheel well. If you wanted a cleaner or more permanent install, I reckon you could use a spare relay slot in your fuse box.

Connected like this, the electric fuel pump only runs when the glow plugs are running. Works like a hot damn! If the engine is cool enough to need to run the glow plugs, then it may have lost prime, so you'd probably want to run the prime pump. The cooler the engine, the longer the pump runs. If the engine is hot enough not to need the plugs, then it probably hasn't lost prime, so no need to run the pump. Once the wait to start light (glow plugs) turns off so does the electric pump, and you're good to start.

Basically you're only running the prime pump when you'd most likely need it, and running it proportionally to how much air may be in the fuel system. And it's turning off before the mechanical pump takes over. And it's all being done automatically. :Thumbs Up The only time I could see there being an issue is if you have a serious leak back issue, or if the truck sits for an extended period of time. Then the electric pump may not run long enough to restore prime, but in that case you could just cycle the glow plugs a couple of times.

Anyway, figured I'd share what I thought was a pretty neat hack. Cheers y'all!
That is badass

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems a lot of work and effort to try and retain the mechanical pump. Why not just use the electric pump 100% of the time? Much simpler. Abandon the mechanical pump.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
That seems a lot of work and effort to try and retain the mechanical pump. Why not just use the electric pump 100% of the time? Much simpler. Abandon the mechanical pump.

Don't talk about my friend the mechanical fuel pump like that! Lol

But yeah, it's a bit of a niche situation for sure.

The main reason is that I plan to convert this rig to burn WVO, and I want to keep the mechanical fuel pump because I know it will work well for that.

The other reason is this was installed with the intention of being temporary. I wanted to do it cheaply. The pump was the only thing I had to come out of pocket for. Everything else came from the scrap pile. I doubt my $20 pure chineasum transfer pump would keep my engine satisfactorily and reliably supplied with fuel.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine china pump does. Bought it off Amazon. I would buy two china pumps, one for WMO and one for pure diesel. That way you could switch back and forth, sort of like your original plan with the mechanical pump. You could run a heater hose along the pump and the wmo line, and let the coolant warm the wmo system so it flows a little better in cooler weather. Run it initially on diesel to warm it up and then switch over.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My holley red wont restart the eng when I throw the fsv from tank 2 tank before I come to a stop....
F U B A R
Might be reinstalling the mechanical...

And cuz I'm that guy....
A family friend who had racked up + 500 k towing a tractor with a 6.9 did so on a mechanical pump.

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the mechanical pump myself. The hack sounds fine, but as long as the check valve in the mechanical pump is good you should be fine. An additional inline check valve might be good insurance.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a cool idea, I was going to do something like that once, but that truck is gone n when I converted this one from gas I just left the in tank pumps the mech pump pull thru them normally but I can use to prime if need be. Or switch a hose around and run them alone if need be.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some reading lately on E-pumps, mostly the Carrier/Facet pump, and I noticed that some people encounter problems with these in when the engine turns at higher Rpm's, I'm not sure if it has to do with the flow capacity?
also I've read that the fuel pressure on those pumps is 9-11Psig, which (according to what I read) is influencing the timing of the IP.

For the what I suspect is a flow capacity problem, the mechanical lift pump would have the most natural solution, better than the e-pump; When the engine is turning at higher Rpm's, the mechanical lift pump is automatic (due to be driven from the camshaft) pumping with a higher frequency as well, thereby providing more flow.

Maybe many people overseen this benefit?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some reading lately on E-pumps, mostly the Carrier/Facet pump, and I noticed that some people encounter problems with these in when the engine turns at higher Rpm's, I'm not sure if it has to do with the flow capacity?
also I've read that the fuel pressure on those pumps is 9-11Psig, which (according to what I read) is influencing the timing of the IP.

For the what I suspect is a flow capacity problem, the mechanical lift pump would have the most natural solution, better than the e-pump; When the engine is turning at higher Rpm's, the mechanical lift pump is automatic (due to be driven from the camshaft) pumping with a higher frequency as well, thereby providing more flow.

Maybe many people overseen this benefit?
I like simplicity as well as anyone else. But you can't fault the track record of electric fuel pumps. Yes they fail, but tell me of a vehicle made after 2000 that has a mechanical pump? My wife has a 1994 Honda, has the original electric pump in the tank, and is now hitting 250,000. It may fail tomorrow, but electric pumps are running the world right now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin