Ordered the license plates for E3 today

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Everything went pretty smooth other than the lady at the BMV couldn't see the VIN number - the windshield is from a different year so the non blacked out portion wasn't in the correct spot so I had to take the dash pad off so she could see it and verify that it wasn't stolen....

Then she informed me that it qualifies for the Indiana Historic plate program so I ordered those.... Sweet.... It's over 25 years old so I figured why not....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So the windshield was from a newer truck then?

And did you get a normal plate? Or custom one?
And what's the historic plate look like?

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Too bad Crapafornia doesnt have that program,
I bet the lady at the DMV that did my vin check want to give a GROSS POLUTER PLATE!!!!!!:rotflmao

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then she informed me that it qualifies for the Indiana Historic plate program so I ordered those.... Sweet.... It's over 25 years old so I figured why not....

Did she say if there was a mileage limit by having the historic plates? Not that they'd have any way to check how much you drive but i had heard that historic plates limited you to a certain amount of miles.

/Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend who heard it from a yeah you get the idea. Just curious if this had any level of truth to it.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Fla some years ago, some genious got the bright idea to just issue Historic plates automatically to every vehicle over 20 years old. Boy was there a lot of historic crap driving around before someone finally realized the problem.LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Nope - they didn't say a word about it and reading on the BMV site I don't remember seeing anything to effect... now if you have antique or historic insurance then some policies will limit you on when and how much you can drive. Which I have normal insurance so no issues there.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup Jason that sucks. When I moved from Kentucky to Ohio, I had to take the written test to get an Ohio license! What a PITA. I passed, but still, that was really unnecessary.

I hope Indiana doesn't have a law like that. I know Kentucky doesn't. When I moved back here in 2007, they just took a picture and gave me a new one.

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about out there, but in MD there is a 7000 lb limit on standard historic plates. As I'm sure you guys know, most rigs with two guys in them are overloaded without anything in the bed. They have a 10,000 lb historic tag that is essentially reserved for antique military equipment for parades and stuff. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
California is the only state that sucks and blows at the same time.. No matter what... We have laws here that kill business and any other idea fit to be nice to people. My 79 chevy C30 1 ton camper special was 1 year away from never having to be smogged.. Then the law changed.. Made me mad as hell too. The truck came without a cdr valve but the intake manifold has the hole covered with a plate. Plus it has factory dueal exhaust. So many smog inspection stations have tried to tell me there needs to be a cdr or an egr valve in that place or they wont smog it... Some of those guys are well past the stupid area of evolution charts.. How they got a license is amazing but then again... This is California..

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
California is the only state that sucks and blows at the same time.. No matter what... We have laws here that kill business and any other idea fit to be nice to people. My 79 chevy C30 1 ton camper special was 1 year away from never having to be smogged.. Then the law changed.. Made me mad as hell too. The truck came without a cdr valve but the intake manifold has the hole covered with a plate. Plus it has factory dueal exhaust. So many smog inspection stations have tried to tell me there needs to be a cdr or an egr valve in that place or they wont smog it... Some of those guys are well past the stupid area of evolution charts.. How they got a license is amazing but then again... This is California..

Hey, at least our old diesels are exempt from smog (for now)
And annual safety inspections.

At least we are not Utah... In that regard. LOL