Opinions needed! Ford factory IDI turbo kit

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ohm out the wire for the plugs that are burning out fast, it may be your harness has too much resistance and is tricking the controller.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, Guys! I replaced the glow plug harness a few years ago with a brand new OEM GP harness that I got from Uhaul, so that "should" still be in good shape. I got one of the last OEM GP harnesses that Uhaul had. While No. 7 has gone out 3 times, No. 5, No. 4 and No. 2 have also burnt out, so it seems more or less random. No. 7. along with 8, are the hottest cylinders, so that may be why No. 7 is more susceptible to burning out. Plus, No. 7 is under the turbo and difficult to change out, so for that reason alone, it will be more susceptible to burning out just due to the general contrariness of things. Timing is good at 8.6 degrees timed with a Kent Moore meter. I am thinking the controller is the culprit, and I will see how the replacement controller does and report back after a while. Again, thanks for the input!

RetiringColt

Reaction score
Tbrumm great post! Did you replace your head bolts with studs? Also have you considered changing out your camshaft to get more potential out of the turbo?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbrumm great post! Did you replace your head bolts with studs? Also have you considered changing out your camshaft to get more potential out of the turbo?

Thanks! Yes, I studded the truck a couple of years before I turbo'd. Here is the link to that thread:
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/7-3-head-gasket-replacement-arp-head-stud-install.76304/

I considered doing a torque cam, but the potential issue of valves kissing pistons concerned me enough that I decided not to install a cam. It was just more than I wanted to mess around with at the time. If I would have had more time, and had a better understanding of valve train geometry and valve clearance issues, I would have done the cam. I certainly would not discourage anyone from installing a torque cam - but you have to do your homework and make sure that you have the proper valve to piston clearances to run the torque cam. I don't do a lot of heavy towing with the truck, so I am not trying to wring out every available HP out of the engine. As it is, the turbo makes this truck, as large as it is, very fun to drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin