Opinions needed! Ford factory IDI turbo kit

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Ford oem turbo kit. The guy wants $400.00 for it and says it is complete except for the cross over pipe. It is about a three hour drive for me and I am thinking of going to take a look at it tomorrow. I got him to send me a pic of the intake side of the turbo. He says there is no play in it, but the intake vanes look bad to me. What do y'all think? The thing of it is, even if the turbo is toasted, the rest of the parts he has included could still make this a decent deal. He has two heads off a turbo motor (which I don't need and who knows if they are any good though), two oil coolers which I could resell, complete set of injector lines and some other misc. idi parts. Thanks for the feedback guys.
You must be registered for see images attach

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Worth it, the exhaust elbow alone is worth 200+ bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a Ford oem turbo kit. The guy wants $400.00 for <snip>

Usually there's a catch with deals like this, but if all you need is to build a crossover pipe and replace the compressor wheel, its a good deal. Go get it. Use any damage or missing parts as a bargaining chip.

Here's a copy of the parts list to take with you. Feel free to nit-pick some more if you notice other critical parts that are missing:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be really surprised if it truly was "complete."

Post some pictures of the kit and we'll help you determine if it is all there.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the input, guys! I am not going to be able to make the 3 hour drive (each way)to go and look at the parts today due to other stuff going on. The guy has this listed on CL, so if he still has it when next weekend rolls around, maybe I could get it for less. He says he "wants the parts out of the garage" and to "make him an offer". I will have to consider the cost of sending the turbo out to Russ to get rebuilt into the cost, as well as the cost of any missing minor parts. Again, thanks for the input on this!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy pretty much all the idi parts that show up locally to me, just to have and to share with if anyone on here that needs hard to find parts, it really takes a lot more time than you think especially if you live far from town like me, so dont go into it expecting to make out with a huge profit. That being said, if the turbo and hard to find parts are all there, the price is right and I would buy it if it was local to me.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'd be all over that too if it was in my neck of the woods. There is an IDI turbo engine in my area right now, but it has the 088 setup. Been there, done that LOL.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that compressor wheel looks like it had a small rodent for lunch.
Russ has all the 093 consumable parts. he might even have new crossover pipes for sale soon too. if you can get the seller to bite down at $300 you got a screamer.

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my stock Ford turbo I just tossed this into it and it works fine. Haven’t noticed any issues. I’d say haggle down to 250 and that should be a nice setup!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I would love to get a cheap turbo kit like that. I’d need serious helping installing it though. Namely since I’d want to also do valve stem seals (etc) while the heads are off for the head studs. I just don’t trust myself for such deep work. Plus everything is bloody heavy!

petey93

Reaction score
This might sound dumb but has anyone done a turbo and supercharger build on there engine like Detroit did to there engines. Would and could it be done

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'd be all over that too if it was in my neck of the woods. There is an IDI turbo engine in my area right now, but it has the 088 setup. Been there, done that LOL.

What is an 088 setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online