Opinions needed! Ford factory IDI turbo kit

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it came to connecting the oil feed line for the turbo, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my N/A block had been drilled and tapped for the !/4" npt fitting the turbo blocks use - it just had a brass 1/4 npt to 1/8 npt adapter fitting installed. I removed that fitting and was good to go!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impact and map torch do wonders on those studs. The shock seems to help and seems Lee’s likely to round it off.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Impact and map torch do wonders on those studs. The shock seems to help and seems Lee’s likely to round it off.
Yeah, I had not yet brought out the air impact gun. That is next on my list, after I have soaked the studs more and done some heating/cooling cycles with the torch. I am getting a little bit excited now that the turbo is actually on - only the studs are holding up progress now!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got lucky. The studs soaked in Kroil overnight. I heated them up with the torch tonight, let them cool a bit, and then I thought I would try the breaker. Both of them broke loose easily and they are out! Nothing is stopping me from finishing up the turbo install now - well, except for the lack of free time that is. Thanks for the help, guys!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
PICS OR IT DID NOT HAPPEN!!!!
Finished up the turbo install today. Brought the engine up to temp. a couple of times to check for leaks, but test drive won't happen until tomorrow. Also installed new R & D injectors and she idles SMOOOOOOOOTH!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I can see that having a turbo is not going improve fuel mileage at all! I can't keep my foot out of it. This is another one of those mods (like hydroboost) that I wish I had done much sooner. The cross over pipe was leaking at the connection to the "Y" part of the up-pipe, but even so I could hit 8 lbs under heavy throttle and I haven't touched the fuel screw. I tightened the crossover pipe and hopefully that will take case of the exhaust leak.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I can see that having a turbo is not going improve fuel mileage at all! I can't keep my foot out of it. This is another one of those mods (like hydroboost) that I wish I had done much sooner. The cross over pipe was leaking at the connection to the "Y" part of the up-pipe, but even so I could hit 8 lbs under heavy throttle and I haven't touched the fuel screw. I tightened the crossover pipe and hopefully that will take case of the exhaust leak.

Why don't you ditch that belt vacuum pump and install a small electric? You will be very happy with that cheap upgrade also. You have hydroboost so you are already 85.7% there!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you ditch that belt vacuum pump and install a small electric? You will be very happy with that cheap upgrade also. You have hydroboost so you are already 85.7% there!
I have considered the switch to an electric vac pump and will probably do that in the near future. Did you figure out a correct serpentine belt length when the belt driven vacuum pump is deleted?

I still have an exhaust leak at the cross over pipe connection to the "y" part of the up pipe. I think I am going to have to take the cross over pipe out and re position in the flanges.

Overall, I am happy with the added performance the turbo provides, and the drop in egt's is is a great added benefit. I don't have to have to watch the pyro like a hawk on hills now. The pyro never goes beyond 1050° now, but I haven't towed anything heavy yet either.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have considered the switch to an electric vac pump and will probably do that in the near future. Did you figure out a correct serpentine belt length when the belt driven vacuum pump is deleted?

I still have an exhaust leak at the cross over pipe connection to the "y" part of the up pipe. I think I am going to have to take the cross over pipe out and re position in the flanges.

Overall, I am happy with the added performance the turbo provides, and the drop in egt's is is a great added benefit. I don't have to have to watch the pyro like a hawk on hills now. The pyro never goes beyond 1050° now, but I haven't towed anything heavy yet either.

Sorry for the late reply! Yes I use a different belt size (6K 1105). If my picture looks a little weird to you it is because I mounted the CDR where the vacuum pump was... made for a clean install when I added the turbo.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got the darned cross over pipe to seal. It must have gotten a little bit bent when transporting the motor and the passengers side flange would not seat tight to the end of the pipe and wye due to interference between the studs and the bolt holes in the flange. I opened up the bolt holes in the flange a bit, and then the flange could seat up tight to the pipe and wye. Now building 9lbs of boost at heavy throttle and we have whistle! By the way, it appears R & D is no longer selling their replacement cross over pipe - don't see it on their website anymore at any rate. Russ is making one though. I was looking just in case I needed one.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, not everything is rosy in turbo land, sportsfans. I got in the truck to go home from work Thursday night, and the wait to start light went out after about 7 seconds, and the voltmeter needle was swinging rapidly left and right. Uh-Oh - I know what that means - at least one glow plug has died an early death. I had put in new gp's during the turbo install. Fortunately, it was about 35° out so the truck started okay, but ran like crap until the cold cylinder finally started firing. Anybody care to guess which plug went dead? Of course, you just knew it had to be No. 7 under the turbo. Well, it took me a couple of hours, and combination of 1/4" drive extensions, u-joint and magnetic pickup, but I got it changed out without having to pull the turbo. I gotta tell ya though, that is not an easy job! That did the trick though - I have full GP burn time again. I also found that the return caps on 1 and 3 were weeping, so took care of that while I was in there (hopefully). Even though maintenance operations such as these are way more complicated with the turbo on there, I still would not go back to N/A!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After about a week, I could tell from the swinging voltmeter needle that another glow plug had died. Sure enough, old No. 7 was dead again. My bad, but when it died the first time, I installed one of my many used (but tested good) glow plugs I have on hand. This time, I put in a new one, and got one cycle of the plugs (didn't even start the truck)before the voltmeter told me another plug died. I was pissed because I thought for sure the new plug in No. 7 was smoked. I was pleasantly surprised to find that No. 7 was just fine. No. 2 died this time, and that one was an easy change out. When I had installed the new plugs during the turbo install, I installed a used plug in No. 2 because I was short one new plug (thought I had 8 new ones on hand but had only 7 - must have used one of 'em somewhere along the line). So now No. 2 has another good used plug and we will see how long the plugs live now.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update - I continue to have glow plugs burn out prematurely. I think I have changed the No. 7 plug 3 times total now, and also had to change out No. 5 and No. 2. I finally investigated the controller and changed it out for another controller I had on hand. The old controller was glowing the plugs for a full 18 seconds:eek: at an ambient air temp of 5 below. It also did not appear to pulsing the plugs after the initial burn. It seemed to give the plugs full burn for 6 seconds again right after the initial burn. This observation is based on watching the voltmeter needle. The new controller does about a 14 second initial burn at 5 below air temp and then will slowly pulse the plugs on and off. We will see if this controller change lengthens glow plug life. My question is: what typically fails on these controllers when this happens? Is it the electronic components in the board under the relay?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it almost has to be the electronics since the unit is functioning but the times are "wrong". Although 18 seconds doesn't sound way too long if it's -5F, the six-second reglow is weird.

What is your injection timing set to? I've read that too much (?) timing can eat glow plugs.

This has been a great thread. so far I bought my "complete" turbo kit for $700 in the fall.
(Narrator: It was not complete.) and after buying a few things like the stock airbox and a Banks downpipe, still was into it less than a grand, and the turbo did not need a rebuild :) The most tedious part was redoing the wiring harness to move it in front of the intake and relocating the GP controller. I just got it finished last week.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm biting the bullet on a motorcraft controller. Been warranting our my BWDs from orielys and everyone acts different and dont last but a couple monthes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online