Old fuel for free?

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle has three 55 gal drums of off highway diesel. It has been closed up tight for 4 years. Do i need to burn it or is it still safe to run in farm equipment. If i do use it what should i do to it to make it " safe" to use?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My uncle has three 55 gal drums of off highway diesel. It has been closed up tight for 4 years. Do i need to burn it or is it still safe to run in farm equipment. If i do use it what should i do to it to make it " safe" to use?

I have ran fuel through my trucks that was a lot older than that with no issues.

If it worries you, then pump it out of the drums with a hand-pump, pushing the fuel through a GoldenRod filter unit before going into the tanks. ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
93f250idi,

I am not sure there, but I know in other parts of the country, the Farm plates would make it MORE likely that you would be checked. I know a guy here in Indiana that is a farmer, and at any "farm type auction" (land, equipment, livestock. etc) the "Tax Police" were there dipping ever diesel truck on the property. There have been a few nailed this way, in pick-up and larger trucks with RED fuel, in IN, it is something like a $10k fine and could have some jail time. These were "farm trucks" but being used on the public roads, (I understand they were parked somewhere, but they were on at the "home" address of the vehicle, so they had to be driven to where they were on public roads.) Also, if I remember correctly, even thought the fine was levied, they were not allowed to move the trucks until all the RED fuel was removed, or they had to be towed from their location. I know in IN, they do not play.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
4 years ain't nothing.I got fuel in my General(Clicky below) that is over 13 years old now going on 14 years.Still runs fine.Might not have 100% power but it goes boom in the holes.

TBAR

Reaction score
The stuffs no good..........send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :sly

Tbar

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some red fuel a couple of years ago that would not run worth a crap. I don't know what the problem was but a gal of ATF fixed it right up. I'm just say'n, give it a shot, if it doesn't work to well it can be fixed.