Oils for the IDI

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I know this topic is asked over and over again but it looks like I can't get Rotella (what seems to be the most used / best) here in germany.

I have to change my oil this month and maybe you can tell me whats the best to use (in my 7.3 idi).

I can get these oils for example:

Shell Rimula R6 LM (low SAPS) 10W40
Castrol Tection Global 15W40
Mobil Delvac MX 15W40
Mobil Delvac MX ESP 15W40
(and maybe) Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40

Wich oil would you choose?

I will use the FL1995 oil filter.

Thanks a lot in advance !!!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guten Morgen :D

Although Rotella is popular over here, Chevron Delo is also very popular and seems to burn off slower with most IDI users. Are Chevron products available over there?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beliebe the "esp" oil you mentioned has lowered anti wear addatives to protect the cats on newer stuff. I would not use that. Out of your list im familiar with the castrol and valvoline.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
I used to work at a cat equipment Dealer as a field mechanic, we used Mobil in everything. Never had any issues, been inside many engines all was very clean even after many thousand hours. Used mx oil in older stuff and 1300 in newer engines, mx is my personal choice of oil, seen many oil sample tests also. We even had one engine we took care of in a 785b truck with over 35000 hours on it always ran Mobil. 1300 mobil has less zddp in it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I know this topic is asked over and over again but it looks like I can't get Rotella (what seems to be the most used / best) here in germany.

I have to change my oil this month and maybe you can tell me whats the best to use (in my 7.3 idi).

I can get these oils for example:

Shell Rimula R6 LM (low SAPS) 10W40
Mobil Delvac MX 15W40
Mobil Delvac MX ESP 15W40
(and maybe) Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40

Wich oil would you choose?

I will use the FL1995 oil filter.

Thanks a lot in advance !!!
Asking what is the best oil...is like asking whats the best position for ***...

What ever works for ya...

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so far. I asked a distributor about the Chevron Delo yesterday via email. I'm waiting for a answer now.
Maybe I can get the Delvac cheap. So Delvac would be a good choice too?

If it would not be the thing that no shop arround here knows how to rebuild them and you can't get these engines here for a decent price (and it looks like noone has used ones) I wouldn't ask. I would use whatever I can find and is a diesel rated oil. But my ambition is to keep this truck forever so I would like to use a good oil ;Sweet

With 6.2 diesels it's no problem. There are many you can buy here. We have one guy here who has a big military equipment 'junkyard' called "Morlock Motors". He has tons of 6.2s.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What works for a GM 6.2 will work in an IH 6.9 or 7.3L engine. They had virtually the same lube recommendations. Forget brand names and concentrate more on the API specification. If you find an oil that meets API CI4 or CJ4, you are golden with whatever brand name. You might be a smidge better with the CI4 but CJ4 is also backwards compatible to our era. Anyway, first sort by that an THEN play the brand-name-game. In truth, there is little to choose between many of the brand name oils in terms of the end result. Some take a slightly different road but the destination (the end result and performance) is largely the same. Many of the Euro rated diesel oils are designed for high revving compact diesels and that's really a different animal than our Detroit big-iron diesels and that's why I suggest looking at the API recommendations. You might have to do some research in translating the Euro spec oils to find the one most compatible with the relevant API spec... but many Euro oils also list the API spec they are most compatible with.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevron Delo 400 is good, but Chevron Delo 400LE is formulated for the newer diesel's with all the emission garbage on them. Stick with any CI4 you can get instead of the CJ4.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not look into an Amsoil preferred customer or dealer....then you have one of the best oils available to you and your friends...

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys. Hes in germany. The oils that we have may be drasticslly different than what he can get there.Id sure like to see the specs and addatives in a german oil before he settles on any brand

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a few more inputs via email:

I can't get the Valvoline Premium blue (the only sell it with OEM engines) but where I asked they will ask Valvoline wich oil from Valvoline would be best.

Delo 400 is not available but they told me the Texaco Ursa Premium TD 15W40 (wich I can get here) is similar to the Delo.

I'm 90% sure I can get the Mobil Delvac. My father will ask at work (he works at a place wich is also a Esso dealer)

So that means I can get:

Texaco Ursa Premium TD 15W40
Mobil Delvac MX 15W40

Wich one would you choose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online

Members online