Oils for the IDI

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Most say mobil. I'd say pick one you are familiar with (brand wise) or just close your eyes and toss a dart. Asking what oil to run gets pretty hairy. I run a "forbidden" brand most eye roll at, but no issues so far. My truck had mobil from the prior owner

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a few more inputs via email:

I can't get the Valvoline Premium blue (the only sell it with OEM engines) but where I asked they will ask Valvoline wich oil from Valvoline would be best.

Delo 400 is not available but they told me the Texaco Ursa Premium TD 15W40 (wich I can get here) is similar to the Delo.

I'm 90% sure I can get the Mobil Delvac. My father will ask at work (he works at a place wich is also a Esso dealer)

So that means I can get:

Texaco Ursa Premium TD 15W40
Mobil Delvac MX 15W40
Castrol Tection Global 15W40

Wich one would you choose?

Flip a coin. Any of those three would do an excellent job, assuming they meet the engine's API spec. I advise getting the one which, a) is the best price, and; b) is the most readily obtainable.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as those oils meet the need and API spec for the engine all three are fine.

It may be prudent to do some testing, as some oils in these engines tend to burn off quicker than others. I'd suggest starting a regime of documenting oil change/top up and at what mileages top ups occur if at all between changes.

Then at next oil change, try then next brand of oil, document it and so forth, after documenting the use, cost and top ups, you will be in an educated position to see what provides you the best product for your $$$.

Again you could look into Amsoil as well, and have your own supply that way. I'm not sure if available to you in your location however I see no reason it would not be.

Good luck with your choice....

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not look into an Amsoil preferred customer or dealer....then you have one of the best oils available to you and your friends...
The Germans Started the Synthetic oil craze in the 30s in preparation for the war and turbine aircraft, not a single aircraft uses Conventional lubricant, all use Synthetic, nothing else protects at high temps and low temps like Synthetic.
Failure in the air is the job of the ignorant. it happens...

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy what's on sale. its a 30 year old truck, NOT in mint condition. i'm not gonna spend a fortune on an oil change.

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run mobile delvac 10w30 in the winter and use Case Akela 15w40 in the summer. The Case stuff I get cheap at work and if it can stand up to construction equipment running full throttle most the time it should work in my IDI's.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chevron Delo 400 is good, but Chevron Delo 400LE is formulated for the newer diesel's with all the emission garbage on them. Stick with any CI4 you can get instead of the CJ4.

Is it bad to run the Delo 400LE ? That's what I've been running . I know it probably has a bunch of junk in it I don't need like detergents and so on. But it shouldn't hurt.......right?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack this thread , so I'll say one more thing then be quiet . I understand they need more detergents , and additives but these oils shouldn't hurt our old beasts should they?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The additive package in oil is a good thing. The stronger the additive package the better the oil. The additive package contains anti wear additives, detergents, anti foaming etc.

Because the newer engines run a lot of EGR the oil now has to deal with increased soot loading in the oil. This is why we have the CJ-4 oil spec. Everyone makes it a point to mention the CJ-4 oil has lower ZDDP an anti wear additive witch is true, but they didn't lower it very much. Certainly not enough to cause any increased wear.

The new oils work well. They are certainly a step above what these trucks were originally speced with.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detergents are a good thing. Any cj4 oil made today is leages better than what our trucks need.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The additive package in oil is a good thing. The stronger the additive package the better the oil. The additive package contains anti wear additives, detergents, anti foaming etc.

Because the newer engines run a lot of EGR the oil now has to deal with increased soot loading in the oil. This is why we have the CJ-4 oil spec. Everyone makes it a point to mention the CJ-4 oil has lower ZDDP an anti wear additive witch is true, but they didn't lower it very much. Certainly not enough to cause any increased wear.

The new oils work well. They are certainly a step above what these trucks were originally speced with.
It is well documented lowered ZDDP is death to flat tappet motors.

All-

When reading this thread, do keep in mind the OP is writing on sourcing an oil for his IDI located in Europe. Personally, I don't care what oils goes into the motor as long as it is consistently used. If you are using a product consistently that itself is the key to the longevity of your motor.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Correct Answer!

CJ-4 oils are backwards compatible to CI-4 applications (in all but a few specific cases). The CI-4 oils have a slightly stronger ZDDP package (it's not the volume so much as the type of ZDDP used) but the CJ-4 oils have a better dispersant/detergent package. If you compare a CJ-4 oil to the oils for which our engines were originally rated, you will find them to be far, far (did I say FAR!) superior. There is much more to ANY oil than how much ZDDP is in it and CJ-4 has more than enough. Plus, there are other additives now that do the same or similar things. Moly for one. In our engines, the ZDDP is mostly necessary for the rockers and based on my studies of oil formulas, there is more than enough ZDDP in a CJ-4 rated oil to cover that hot spot. Beyond that, the IDIs don't really have many tricky areas as far as wear goes. Since they are sooty engines with lots of blowby, more so when they get tired, my opinion has been that the CJ-4's vast improvements in the detergent/dispersant area is a great benefit. Plus, CI-4 has become harder to find and not usually on sale anywhere. The final convincing for me came with long term testing. I've been running CJ-4 oils in my 6.9 since they appeared in '06 and the truck has several good UOAs... as good or better as any with CI-4 test I've seen. I've also been running CJ-4 in both my farm tractors (one IH and one Ford) since '06 and have stellar oil analysis from them as well... with two and three year OCIs! What's not to like? Nobody can produce any testing that shows markedly inferior results with CJ-4 in applications like ours either, so most of the arguing between the two is akin to bench racing.