3G alternator upgrade

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t even remember when I acquired this, but apparently I had a complete kit ready to go to upgrade the alternator to a 3G. Even had the wiring harness with fusible links still in it. Took about three hours because the pulley I have is apparently loose. I eventually found some shim stock to take up the slack and recenter it. The alternator is dimensionally smaller than the factory alternator, so I’ll probably swap to a shorter belt later on. Another bonus, since these belts are known to flop even when properly adjusted. The vacuum pump belt seems to be fine as is.

Attachments

• IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 12

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I don’t even remember when I acquired this, but apparently I had a complete kit ready to go to upgrade the alternator to a 3G. Even had the wiring harness with fusible links still in it. Took about three hours because the pulley I have is apparently loose. I eventually found some shim stock to take up the slack and recenter it. The alternator is dimensionally smaller than the factory alternator, so I’ll probably swap to a shorter belt later on. Another bonus, since these belts are known to flop even when properly adjusted. The vacuum pump belt seems to be fine as is.

You might try loosening the curved bar that the alternator tightens to and rotate it more to the passenger side. I'm running stock length belts with 3g on my 89 E350 and it's nowhere near the end of the curved bar.

edit: oh it looks like you did. Well i checked mine just now and it's similar to yours actually. but it's plenty tight. I like fleet runner belts, very tough.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still running the original size belt with no problems and plenty of room to tighten on the curved bracket.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3G alternator when someone here posted a deal on them a while ago. I figured that I'll install it when my current one fails.
Is there any reason that I should switch it sooner? What is the advantage to 3G? And is there a wiring conversion kit available or do I need to make one?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And is there a wiring conversion kit available or do I need to make one?
There's no kit needed. All you have to do is to cut the wires that go to your current voltage regulator and splice them onto the ones that come off of the 3G regulator. It's not to hard to do.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no kit needed. All you have to do is to cut the wires that go to your current voltage regulator and splice them onto the ones that come off of the 3G regulator. It's not to hard to do.
I just opened the box (that got delivered a year ago?). Here's what I've got.
I assume what's in the truck is OEM.

Attachments

• alt.jpg
    alt.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

You do need the harnesses that plugs into a 3g alternator

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the kit from Roderek Soest, at ididiesel.com

Hasn’t showed up yet, but hoping to get it before too long

This will be going on my 91 F-Super Duty, I have replaced the original alternator, and the second one acts a bit goofy after starting it up in the morning sometimes

Sounds like this 3G system is the most reliable system, which is the goal

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
He's in the middle of moving at the moment. I hope you get your kit soon. The 3g alternator setup is definitely an underrated upgrade for these ol turds

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
He's in the middle of moving at the moment. I hope you get your kit soon. The 3g alternator setup is definitely an underrated upgrade for these ol turds

I suppose it's very useful for setups with winches etc where you need power when idling. Or perhaps very short stop and go drives. I didn't have an issue really with old 1Gs on the F250 or RV. I did replace the alternator on the f250 later the same year i bought it, but that could happen to a 3g. Didn't have to on the RV at all.

I'm guessing ~1993 Ford Taurus alternator is a good 3g one to get, based on stock photos. It looks just like the one on my van. Hopefully I won't need to get one anytime soon. I say that because I'd probably have to go to a parts store to get one, and they want year, make, and model to look it up.