Oil Cooler Rebuild, tech article?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I did a search and couldn't find a tech article on how to rebuild an oil cooler, so I was wondering if we could make one here. So anyone with experience with doing these please chime in and give your 2 cents. How do you clean out the vents, how do you press it back together that sort of stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What do you mean by "clean out the vents"??? Use plenty of lubrication on the o-rings and install them on the bundle. The book tells you to install them in the headers. That don't work. It cuts them. I use a large wood clamp and some 2x4s as a support. On the other site Dreamchief has a very good writeup with picturs on what he does. I did mine the same way. You really should air test it to 35 lbs so you know there aren't any cut o-rings. Make sure things are clean and smooth in the headers so it slides together easy. Things need to be lined up so there isn't and binding when you press it back together.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Please detail how to air test. Can you test the water side and the oil side independently?
Can you check the oil pressure relief valve in the header this way?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Go here and look at catalog page 2655. On either that page or the previous few pages you will find something that will work. I would use brass instead of stainless as it's softer.

Michael it would seem to me that in order to test it for pressure you would have to fabricate a piece of flat bar to bolt it to. That would hold it together and then you would need to put a couple of fittings in the flat bar to pressurize it and release the pressure from. One in each flow path (water or oil). You could use a gasket set to seal it to the flat bar if it were smooth/flat enough.