i.p. tech question

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok lets do some diagnostics ' sssss
93 in my sig
I live @ sea level , shy of 1 trip to Alaska this has only run up to Yosemite ntl park for altitude 2x...
ats 093 aftermarket turbo (not ferd)
bought it in 2012-13 iirc it had 37k on a verified dmv clock...
best mpg was from L.A. to the gaybay area on the first 2 tanks of fuel I was totally babying it mighta got 14 mpg. crs is involved but weren't 15 empty
fast forward 2023 aint broke 60 k yet.
average mpg keeps dropping to today 8 on the same route we take often towing the same 6k 5er...
I have found the snake oil I add makes a difference in the spoolup but not really mpg wise...
so @typ4
@Agnem
@Thewespaul
lets add justin
and anyone so inclined with tech/input

so I realize setting as much as it does don't help the calibration much but Ive tried every otc snake oil easily available here and run 2 dose's per tank of power service algae treatment stuff.
it runs great just sux it barley beats my 1 ton 91 quad cab 4x4 chebby with a mouse pulling

SO THE 64$ QUESTION
what is the probability that the original ip is ******** the bed?
I put new bb codes in it way back before idiots first west coast g2g **** was like 38k???
So the mpg deal really gives me a red ass, the fuel system is stock
it will suck down to sub empty both tanks
the fsv works fine, back blew both lines when I put the e pumps on.
the holley red is right after it (I rue the day I read the faccett group buy thread @snicklas )
its all stock bumper 2 bumper shy of the holley and 093

whatcha got?
throw some idi wizzdome at me please
lets do a tech 101 on antique i.p.'s

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you Automatic or Stick?
What`s your rear end gear ratio?

Maybe that high priced ******-Fornicate fuel is water down....:sly

Dang my tire old 86 with 333K miles can get 20 MPG.

You know where Hwy 88 is. I hauled on my heavy old car trailer 2 cords of split Almond wood, from Escalon, Ca. to Gardnerville, Nv. and got 11 mpg. That road goes up to 8K FT.

Gaybay, that made me laugh.

Goat

Reactions: Clb

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang my tire old 86 with 333K miles can get 20 MPG.
Dang. I haven't been able to get more than 13 mpg out of my '87 with no load on it. :-(
Maybe I need to turn my fuel down some more and mess with the timing some more.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new meter from bosch
checked timing x eleventy times
played from 7.5 to 9.5 degrees
zf 5
4.10;1 stock tires
fresh fluids annually
clean wix
clean k/n
both air filters same thing no differences
pyro maxes out @ 1125
boost will hit 11-12 psi
governor will kick in tween 35-3800 depending
pin the governor and it slows down take a gear it might climb (no chitt)
only pulls a grade tween 2600-and governor
shift above 2200 its all good for power so I use 2k-3500 as pullin rpms , Ballz out 2500-governor works...
its a weekend warrior mostly
it just hurts my feelers its a g o d d a m n h w a g
but she is purty

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 14 mpg in the negative temps and I hit 16-18 in the summer in an 87 6.9 F250 4x4 with a 4 speed and high mileage everything.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it dialed. What else can it be besides injectors or consumables in the IP? You don’t have any symptoms of anything else being off.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. I haven't been able to get more than 13 mpg out of my '87 with no load on it. :-(
Maybe I need to turn my fuel down some more and mess with the timing some more.

You have an automatic trans., so that doesn`t help with mileage.
Being 4x4, do you have the 4:10 Diff.,? that does not help with mileage.

20mpg that has been in the summer, some times 18, did hit a high of 21. something .
But generally around 20.

Now with this hard snowy winter that hit us, been using the Cables on the rear tires, and driving in 3rd gear etc... that definately will drop the mileage. Also with winter fuel (Diesel #1) that is suppose to drop mileage.

If I hit 13 mpg, then Iam dragging around my boat anchor, my 22 ft flat deck Car Trailer.
6.9, T-19 Trans. and 3:55 Diff., zero to 60.....
eventually. No Turbo, just Naturally Exasperated.

Have no idea what my Timing is or how old the Pump or Injectors are, were on it at 192K when I bought it and now up to 333K.
Do have R&D new Pump and Injectors, but runs good and don`t want to screw it up.
Probably had them 4 years.

Goat

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not been inside an ip nor studied it yet to figure out if it has the capability of causing my issues.
That is kinda my point with this thread, does there existin an ip with sub 60k from the factory, components that can be attributed to crappy mpg?
Mind you' it's sucked almost from day 1 (mpg wise) a best of 14 once, then towing a best of 11 down to 8 in a span of 15 ish k miles....
Thanks for looking

I was hoping that the builders would chime in....

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not been inside an ip nor studied it yet to figure out if it has the capability of causing my issues.
That is kinda my point with this thread, does there existin an ip with sub 60k from the factory, components that can be attributed to crappy mpg?
Mind you' it's sucked almost from day 1 (mpg wise) a best of 14 once, then towing a best of 11 down to 8 in a span of 15 ish k miles....
Thanks for looking

I was hoping that the builders would chime in....

It’s going to be tough because people who know the pumps well don’t use the forum.

I don’t offer speculation unless I try and do something hands on. A lot of people just repeat what other people told them or they read online.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pumps can get gummed up if they sit without moving for too long. I don't have a specific thread of post to reference, this is based on what I've read here and been told when inquiring about purchasing a pump to keep as a known good spare. A spare is fine, but it was recommended to rotate it every month or so if sitting.

Perhaps yours has something similar going on because it has spent plenty of time sitting with such low miles.

If you haven't done the fill the filter with ATF thing, might be a good time to try it to unstick some things. Also add some cheap Walmart two stroke oil to your fuel to add lubricity as a regular habit.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there, sold the tee-shirt LOL
It set run 5-6 times a year.
Atf the filter each time @ reg. Intervals.
The 4 gurus have forsaken the masses 1 atta time, as is history.
First mel,(shop owner) next russ (life/family) we never had justin, less looks to have jumped ship also.
Bummed that the factory guys ain't reputable.
My kingdom for an old school injection mechanic

Fwiw
Mine runs hot (egt) with 2 stroke/atf

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be tough because people who know the pumps well don’t use the forum.
RussRepair stops in here regularly. @typ4
And he has replied to my messages here. (not instantly, he's a busy guy)
That's why I got my fuel injection parts from him.

Reactions: Clb