notes and thoughts on my WMO filtration rig

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been putting more thought into running WMO since WVO is starting to become prohibitively expensive to obtain. I'm going to talk about first my filter choices and the filter mounts followed with the ratings found on the stock filters. My engineering and data source for all this is from Wix filters and you can verify by going to www.wixfilters.com and entering the part numbers in their search engine.
The first item is a electric fuel pump. Currently, I'm using a rotary vane type pump out of a gasser putting out 5-7psi. It's used and didn't cost anything but when it does die, I will be switching over to a 10-15psi unit designed for thicker fuels. The filter bases I am using is a WIX 24770 due to the fact the nipple is a pretty standard 1"x14. My goal was to use items that avoided "specialty" parts, so I can get them at most places. The primary filter is a WIX 33439 which carries a 10 micron rating and has a water separator feature built in. The secondary filter is a WIX 33674 which carries a 2 micron rating. These four items has so far cost me $68.59 with tax. I have yet to drop in at the brass shop for the serious abuse on my wallet. Pics will be posted later after I sucker "BrianS" into welding up the framework for all this.
Now the second part....
Obviously there are some pretty serious concerns on running WMO in your tanks. Outside of the grit in suspension, there's pretty toxic chemicals also in the drain oil. Currently I am working on finding a filter for the acids present but that may be cost prohibitive. What the filter rig will handle is the water, and the grit down to 2 microns. The factory filters on our trucks have a larger rating than what I am working with. The WIX 33617(7.3) seperates the water and the grit down to 12 microns. the WIX 33811(6.9) filters the fuel only down to 6 microns. So, if all works the way I hope, the filtered WMO will be clean enough to used in the truck.
well....
that's all for now. I will post more later. Feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer the best I can.;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
so are you planning on doing all the filtering on board your truck then? if so i think that looks good. the first filter said it was a 12 mic rating but should be fine with the second filter. i like my seperate filtering rig to keep freshly unfiltered oil out of my rig. even if the oil is clean some "gunk" usually gets knocked in the oil anyway and that way it does not get to my truck tank.

i have been thinking of setting up a seperate tank and adding some heat to get it to flow a little better. this would help me two ways, i can look in the tank to see if it needs cleaned out for sediment build up and i want to run stonger mixtures year round. it dousent need nearly as much as WVO to get it to flow and should be easier on parts.

so where do you get pricing for the wix parts? did you call a local dealer? i am not sure about the acids but if they didnt eat the motor bearings why would it eat the injection pump?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the goal is to have the system totally portable. I have a 30 gal fuel tank off a Isuzu box truck for WMO storage. I will be running it through the filters and then into the tanks.
I figure I am going to cheat a little by adding a gallon of diesel to the WMO to thin it out a little, so I can avoid the heating issue for now. We'll see how that does in the meantime.
as far as the pricing goes, I already bought the parts from my local dealer. As a rule, I try to avoid going online for parts unless the local source is clearly inferior. Having worked in the parts business for 15 years, I'm pretty loyal to the local guys first. besides, they remember me as a result when they need to have a vehicle towed;Sweet

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I went with a 100 gallon fuel tank I run 2 water filter filters and then a regular diesel filter and it works fine I have never had any problems. I am getting 35 to 40 miles to the gallon at 80percent oil 5%trannyfluid 5%mineral and 10 Percent diesel. my next goal is no diesel with a little more mineral oil.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Towcat, I am all over this project as well.

Thanks for posting the filter information and your thoughts. I am going to try to use easy to obtain (and cheap) parts along the way as well.

I have two 55 gallon drums that I am going to use as my "home base", I am trying to get a 35 gallon drum for a portable transfer tank, I will most likely use a hand pump as it's quick and doesn't require power for the transferring, and then set up and electric pump with two filters for my home system. I figure if I end up with 80 gallons of dry, filtered oil that's two complete fillups, and I'll be "off the grid" which I like the thought of.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with a 100 gallon fuel tank I run 2 water filter filters and then a regular diesel filter and it works fine I have never had any problems. I am getting 35 to 40 miles to the gallon at 80percent oil 5%trannyfluid 5%mineral and 10 Percent diesel. my next goal is no diesel with a little more mineral oil.

Just wondering: what are you getting that kind of mileage in?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I started running my waste Shell 15w-40 tonight with a little furnace oil mixed in. It's probably a 30% mix in each tank...I hauled a trailer with a Suzuki Samurai on it and I must say it pulls better than regular diesel....I plan to keep going to a heavier mixture until I start to see smoke and poor cold starting -then I'll back off a little. My Filter station is totally portable and works great for what I need. I do it this way so I don't need any extra changes to my truck to burn it. I have an endless supply at work of WMO so I'll just bring it home as I need it....I already have 100L waiting to be processed in my garage...LOL...Towcat, your system sounds like it will do the trick....Cheap, simple, portable and effective. I can filter mine right into the tank to avoid the gas cans.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I am running 89 non turbo f250 4x4 68 miles of highway everyday. This week I have averaged about 31 not sure why yet. but I did find out if you get synthetic oil in your mixture its bad news it clogs your filters and my truck doesnt like to start on it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've been running 15w-40 this week, starts as good or better than straight diesel, runs great and no smoke...Time to richen up the mixture some more.....My buddy has some ATF for me too.....My special ingredient...cookoo :rotflmao

bull4545

Reaction score
I have run waste oil before . However not in my babies 2 rams His and hers. At any rate . I dumped a gallon of fresh oil in my truck just for trail . Check mileage. Within 30 miles of dumping in i notice a new smell to exhaust . A 400 horse truck. I notice that with change in smell come a thicker darker cloud of smoke when i dumping more fuel than it can burn. With ULSD the cloud has been lighter and not as thick.
So with a gallon of oil mixed in things seam better than before ulsd.
Filtering thoughts. I was thinking about a large fuel oil furnace filter with the felt filters. But i dont know how good or at what Micron level they filter down too.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
you need to filter it down to 1 micron I ran with it down to 5 microns for a long time before I knew better it slowly plugs your injectors and small metals enter if not screened down to 1 micron. I also use magnets on the side of my plastic filter housings to help with any metal particles

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to filter it down to 1 micron I ran with it down to 5 microns for a long time before I knew better it slowly plugs your injectors and small metals enter if not screened down to 1 micron. I also use magnets on the side of my plastic filter housings to help with any metal particles
the secondary filter I am running is 2 microns. What are you running for the 1 micron rating?