notes and thoughts on my WMO filtration rig

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Arizona.... where it is presently 96 degrees and soon will be 110 in the shade.;Really... freezing 2000 gallons of oil is out of the question. Getting it to boil off the water is not going to work either. The tank is a "fill from the top, pump from the bottom" situation so even when it settles to the bottom I need to pump it through some kind of device to remove water. [my superman Xray vision is a little weak lately so can't see into the steel tank].

Since I have more than one of these tanks to work with, my plan is to fill one with collected oil, run it through a ground filteration rig, then pump the cleaned oil into the "clean tank" and premix diesel/WMO so all I have to do is pump it into the vehicles.

I have a pump rig set up using a power steering pump driven with a 1/2 HP electric motor and a bank of filters to take out the "chunks" down to 5 microns [looks like I'll be adding one more at 1 micron] .... the problem is.... water isn't being captured to my satisfaction.

I would like to find a pump with a 1" inlet/outlet to get the volume of flow up and reduce the pump run time. If I get it sorted out there is lots more oil that can be collected and cleaned.

I'm hoping someone here has a surefire way to get the water without going to an expensive centrifuge. I would like to pull the water first step, then progressive filter to get the rest. Once it's clean, then do acidity tests and treat it to make it neutral acidity.

Anyone?:hail

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a water block filter should be able to get the water out. I have a goldenrod filter for that purpose. If I need something more rugged, a hydrochem filter for hi speed pump systems will keep it out too.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if its that hot there in AZ paint the tank black and set it outside, that might be enough to boil it off for free.

brentdh187

Reaction score
Towcat thats quite the setup. I have a couple of Mercedes 300D's and am going to start blending a little. I have just researched a bunch on "topsider" oil changes and am thinking of building a rig that would do the same but filter it at the same time and run it into the fuel tank. So one tube would be sucking out the old oil and after all your filters just run it right in my tank. Thoughts?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat thats quite the setup. I have a couple of Mercedes 300D's and am going to start blending a little. I have just researched a bunch on "topsider" oil changes and am thinking of building a rig that would do the same but filter it at the same time and run it into the fuel tank. So one tube would be sucking out the old oil and after all your filters just run it right in my tank. Thoughts?
I'd like to run the oil through the system more than once so the contambinants have more of a chance to get caught in the filter. but if you don't have the container or the time, a single pass is better than none. I've seen mechanics from many trucking fleets pour drain oil right back into the feul tanks without any filtering.cookoo

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen mechanics from many trucking fleets pour drain oil right back into the feul tanks without any filtering.cookoo[/QUOTE]

that dont sound good

brentdh187

Reaction score
Why do we need to heat the WMO while we are filtering it? To make it thinner? To steam some water off? If you mixed in some diesel before that would make it thinner right? If you used the golden rod that should take the water out right?

Armo

Reaction score
I think to make it thinner and some do it to help remove some of the residual fuel and it helps seperate the water during filtering.

You can thin it with fuel a few on here use fuel to cut it to accomplish better water seperation and to help it flow through the filters easier. Personally im going to try the heat route since id prefer not to build 2 filter rigs just so i could fuel my road vehicles and farm equipment.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I think to make it thinner and some do it to help remove some of the residual fuel and it helps seperate the water during filtering.

You can thin it with fuel a few on here use fuel to cut it to accomplish better water seperation and to help it flow through the filters easier. Personally im going to try the heat route since id prefer not to build 2 filter rigs just so i could fuel my road vehicles and farm equipment.

Why do you need two filtering rigs to cut if you are cutting before filtering.
PZ

Armo

Reaction score
Why do you need two filtering rigs to cut if you are cutting before filtering.
If i were to cut with fuel id use 2 rigs one for dyed and the other for road diesel. Partly cause my filtering rig holds a supply of oil that gets bag filtered to 1 micron and doubles as a second round of settling before going through 2 more filters and into my tank The laws are a bit annoying how they are written so even if i wanted to i cant claim it as a fuel cause i dont meet the specific gravity requirements(unless i cut with expensive jet-a1) and its also not biofuel. Leaving me to resort to claiming it as an additive. Id rather not make what im doing questionable just in case i get dipped and have to fight a wrongful fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.