notes and thoughts on my WMO filtration rig

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well.....it's one stop closer to portability.
Got BrianS to weld up a bracket to put in the bed of my PU. An unintentional benefit is the whole assy can fit in the back of a 'burb.;Sweet
here are the pics......

Attachments

• SL373237.JPG
    SL373237.JPG
    869.6 KB · Views: 39
  • SL373238.JPG
    SL373238.JPG
    871.6 KB · Views: 26
  • SL373240.JPG
    SL373240.JPG
    862.2 KB · Views: 38
  • SL373241.JPG
    SL373241.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 25

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that goldenrod is way to clean to have filtered any WMO:D

on a side not that burb looks clean rust wise, alas i am seeing it through my salty state.

been talking to the wifey about moving to TX, i liked the state for a while when i was staioned there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't deny that it is. but I didn't expect for it to fit in to begin with. It's kind of a added bonus that it can be transported by a smaller vehicle ;Sweet
now I need to find a large MBZ to see if I can cram it into the trunk:D
if it fits, the range on a large body MBZ would be unreal. even at a conservative 25mpg with a 50/50 mix, that's 825mi range to the last drop:eek: that doen't include the fuel tank already installed in the car.;p

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap talk about a road thats cheap. are you using a fuact pump to pump though the the filters and then into the tank? if so thats great setup you got there

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about synthetic oils? Can we still burn them?

PZ
problem with "true" synthetic oils is that most have a higher burn point than regular dino oils. it's what makes the product better since it is supposed to tolerate high temps. The bad part is you need higher temps for it to burn or it will coke up your valves. to solve the problem, you need to run a lower concentration of the synthetic oil and higher concentration of diesel fuel.

j2005

Reaction score
some might call me stupid for thinking about this filtering WMO before i get a truck but screw it...

my idea was to have the fill hose that you stick in the WMO tank at a shop or where ever be fed through a wiffle ball (like you get for little kids with the big ass bat) and wrap a tshirt around it. i am in the middle east and there is no possible way for me to make it here to show my crazy idea and my drawing is ****...maybe ill get on solid works.

any way...a question arises from this method...what do you suppose the micron rating is for a tshirt???

i have no idea but know the crap that ends up in the WMO tank this would help and not go into your pump.

wadya think?

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. Use a wiffle ball bat to hold a filter media and stuff it into a piece of tube the same size so oil can't bypass it.

If I was going to try that, I'd fill the ball with chore boy or something , then wrap it to keep that stuff in there. Pack it tight enough and it might actually do a decent job.

I'd not rely on it as the only filter, but it might be an excellent pre filter to keep the more expensive ones lasting a bit longer.

j2005

Reaction score
I get what you're saying. Use a wiffle ball bat to hold a filter media and stuff it into a piece of tube the same size so oil can't bypass it.

If I was going to try that, I'd fill the ball with chore boy or something , then wrap it to keep that stuff in there. Pack it tight enough and it might actually do a decent job.

I'd not rely on it as the only filter, but it might be an excellent pre filter to keep the more expensive ones lasting a bit longer.

well now i got to spend the work day thinking of a new "pre-filter" :rolleyes:

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a large supply of oil that has water in it. Anyone know of a way to get all the water out?

Haven't found a filter yet that does the job, and I have more that 2000 gallons to filter.
Suggestions please?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a large supply of oil that has water in it. Anyone know of a way to get all the water out?

Haven't found a filter yet that does the job, and I have more that 2000 gallons to filter.
Suggestions please?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
let it sit. Water will go to the bottom.

PZ

drain the bottom then heat it up to boil it off to take out any in suspension.

you could also freeze the water if you can get the oil in containers in the freezer and hide it from the wife. then just poar the oil out with the frozen water left behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance