notes and thoughts on my WMO filtration rig

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Has anyone tried centrifuging wmo to get rid of the particulates? Seems, theoretically like it would work.

not myself but more so because of cost. from what i have seen it is a great way to filter stuff out.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
You could find a used Mack or Mercedes oil "spinner" housing at a big rig junkyard for a closed setup....They whistle like a turbo for a while after the truck is shut off....LOL.....On a side note - we have 2 trucks at work that came in for "making their own oil" by leaking fuel into the base so I scored a free weeks worth of driving....:rotflmao I couldn't throw those 20L pales into the back of my Ford fast enough....Pre-dilluted for my filtering pleasure.cookoo :D.....Both are Cummins too...L10 and an ISM.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could find a used Mack or Mercedes oil "spinner" housing at a big rig junkyard for a closed setup....They whistle like a turbo for a while after the truck is shut off....LOL.....On a side note - we have 2 trucks at work that came in for "making their own oil" by leaking fuel into the base so I scored a free weeks worth of driving....:rotflmao I couldn't throw those 20L pales into the back of my Ford fast enough....Pre-dilluted for my filtering pleasure.cookoo :D.....Both are Cummins too...L10 and an ISM.
you lucky dog;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
that sure would be nice! what about small engines(b/s, kohler, tech) that stick a carb float and fill the case w/gas, do you think a little of this would hurt anything?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As per US military fueling manuals state...."amount of gasoline should not exceed 10% of total filled volume" The same was stated by MBZ in the older diesels for winterizing fuel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I have a few days to myself and I am not running on company fuel, the project got a swift kick forward at $4.60/gal for straight #2:eek:
So...$28 in brass fittings later and BrianS's aluminum welding, this is what I have so far..... keep in mind I am at a total of $96 into this whole deal;Sweet
The "T" connection before the secondary filter is for a pressure gauge. That way I can attempt to monitor the filter restriction so I know somewhat when it's time to change it.

Attachments

• 05-15-08_1819.jpg
    05-15-08_1819.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 05-15-08_1820.jpg
    05-15-08_1820.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 05-15-08_1821.jpg
    05-15-08_1821.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 66

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have a few days to myself and I am not running on company fuel, the project got a swift kick forward at $4.60/gal for straight #2:eek:
So...$28 in brass fittings later and BrianS's aluminum welding, this is what I have so far..... keep in mind I am at a total of $96 into this whole deal;Sweet
The "T" connection before the secondary filter is for a pressure gauge. That way I can attempt to monitor the filter restriction so I know somewhat when it's time to change it.

What is the micron raiting on the filters your using? I like the pressure gauge idea

RJMorrow

Reaction score
This is exactly the info i was looking for. I am also starting a filtration setup. I received about 150 gal of MTE oil which is quite thick and i will have to cut with some diesel to make it filterable. I bought a Tuthill pump which will do about 9 gal per min, but the pressure gets too high so i may have to add a valve after the pump to throttle it down so i dont blow right through my filters. Did you get a chance to try your system yet ?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im liking this setup a bit better... I have set up at home a large sock off ebay... such as this... and just hang a filter in a bucket and pour my oil into it... then swap out the sock with a 1micron filter sock and pour again... Its not fast system. Takes about 15 min to drain thru the sock. I only run about 25% WMO in the truck... started this week...

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
I thought I posted on this one but guess I didin't

here is my set up a 55 gallon drum... with a cloth strected across it (hold about 10 gallon of oil) I add 5 oil 5 desiel.. this catches alot of grit at the bottom of the barrle I have a outside facuet built in it... leads to a pump from a travel trailer (the water pump) from there it leads to a factory ford 10 micron filter (off old 6.9 truck) then through a house water filter (2.0 micron) then through fram g-2 dont know the micron level but it will not let water through at all then into my truck or my 80 gallon holding tank.... works good only 2 problem algie breaking lose and water in the oil clogged one filet within 30 gallons of filtering...
cost was
$7 for a barrel
$20 house filter
$10 hoses and clamps
$9 for the water snout..
$46 total

the pump was free

Reece

Reaction score
I am new to this alternative fuel stuff and I have been seeking to get a diesel for the purpose of saving money using the wvo. My interest is peeked in the wmo in that you do not have to convert the engine. Am I correct in understanding that no conversion is needed? Only filtration? I am looking at puchasing a 1999 Ford F250 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel and was wondering if there are any concerns with burning your recommended wmo 50/50 or greater?

Last edited:

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
personally, filtration is key... and I have heard that older IDI's are best for WMO WEO because the elec injectors are more delicate... I have seen people on the board with new and old that do use. So take that for what you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin