No such thing as a quality after market radiator for

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No such thing as a quality after market radiator for diesels, at least that's how it seems. The copper and brass radiator I shelled out $538 for 15 months ago has a couple seeps where the top tank joins the core. And so far the manufacturer won't do a thing, not even a discount towards repair or replacement. It's 3 months past warranty. I posted on their FB page today which is moderated so they have to review and it likely won't actually get posted, and will call their main number (instead of local) tomorrow.

Fortunately the shop I ordered it through does "everything". For the short term he'll repair the 2 spots and maybe resolder the entire top tank. Long term he can rebuild the whole thing and put in a nicer/better core ($500-600 though). He told me he's seen problems with various after market radiators for diesels. He has nothing to recommend for replacement based on what he's been seeing, and my experiences seem to line up.

Moral of the story, don't toss your old radiator (like I did), get it rebuilt by a good radiator shop.

I already tried champion last time, and I'm not putting in an aluminium and plastic thing from the national auto parts stores. Did some research again today, and found no new/better options from my searching last year.

I so look forward to removing the radiator in the next couple days to have it worked on!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Seems like you have something "eating" at your radiators. What coolant are you running and what water are you using.. I found out many years ago the seems rupture because the tanks are not seated at or near the bottom of the lip. ALL the old soldier needs to be removed from the top of the radiator so the tank can rest on the bottom of the groove lip. Then the folded up edge has much more material to be soldiered to.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you should contact
brassworks/flowcooler
in socal.
My heater core weigh's in over 5#

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya what coolant did you put in it? My American eagle radiator and aluminum autozone heater are still working fine

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a copper brass radiator from NAPA that was made in China. The NAPA radiator had a lifetime replacement policy. The lifetime of the first three radiators was less than 2000 miles each. I was replacing radiators more often than oil changes. They all developed leaks in the top tank seam. Towcat mentioned using a 7# cap in place of the 13#, and radiator #4 has been hanging in there for three years and 20K miles. National Parts Depot claims their radiators are a higher quality than the parts stores, but I will replace the NAPA unit if needed rather than spend up front again.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to derail this thread but I'm about to buy one of these for my van..
For $160 shipped (eBay has a $20 off certificate promo right now), this seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350704451159?item=350704451159&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I know I may have to do some modification to fit my van,but it shouldn't be too bad. All the dimensions are lining up, I did a cross reference on Rockauto and they listed both the van/truck rads having the same dimensions?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Not to derail this thread but I'm about to buy one of these for my van..
For $160 shipped (eBay has a $20 off certificate promo right now), this seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350704451159?item=350704451159&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I know I may have to do some modification to fit my van,but it shouldn't be too bad. All the dimensions are lining up, I did a cross reference on Rockauto and they listed both the van/truck rads having the same dimensions?

I just installed the champion 4 row in the van just yesterday, looks about identical to the one you posted, both from california so might be the same. The 4 row is only a little more expensive than the 3 row... Only real mod you have to do to make it fit in the van is to make custom brackets for the fan shroud. It mounts differently on the truck. I will be posting a few pics of the brackets in a few days if you need to see. Also, the van core support has six holes, the old rad uses the top and bottom holes, new one uses the bottom and middle holes.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the champion 4 row in the van just yesterday, looks about identical to the one you posted, both from california so might be the same. The 4 row is only a little more expensive than the 3 row... Only real mod you have to do to make it fit in the van is to make custom brackets for the fan shroud. It mounts differently on the truck. I will be posting a few pics of the brackets in a few days if you need to see. Also, the van core support has six holes, the old rad uses the top and bottom holes, new one uses the bottom and middle holes.

You the man! LOL Thank you yARIC008
My suspicions were correct, ya I'm not worried about a little modification. Where'd you get the 4 row one at? I've looked and couldn't find one,I saw pics where someone was comparing the 2/3/4 row and yea it does look like the one to get.

That's a awesome van you've got btw,I was looking for a 92-94 IDI van for ages and finally gave up,they aren't easy to come by!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You the man! LOL Thank you yARIC008
My suspicions were correct, ya I'm not worried about a little modification. Where'd you get the 4 row one at? I've looked and couldn't find one,I saw pics where someone was comparing the 2/3/4 row and yea it does look like the one to get.

That's a awesome van you've got btw,I was looking for a 92-94 IDI van for ages and finally gave up,they aren't easy to come by!

Thanks!

I got it on ebay, but i see you can pay just a little more and get them right off champion's website. Amazon has them too i believe. Also, i see you are talking an 86 so it might be a little different than my 92. But i bet you can make it work.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I got it on ebay, but i see you can pay just a little more and get them right off champion's website. Amazon has them too i believe. Also, i see you are talking an 86 so it might be a little different than my 92. But i bet you can make it work.

Could you post the link where you got yours from? I for the life of me still can't find the 4 row one anywhere, I played with the keywords on eBay and now the 2 rows are coming up but still no 4 rows. Guess my eBay-fu is weak today. :D

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This seems like a ready to race setup. Kind of funny mentioning Ford idi and racing in the same sentence.. I did not read everything listed on this and am not saying this is better than that. Just found it and passing it along for others to decide...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROW-ALUMI...38a148d&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=350704451159

Haha yea, seriously.
That's basically the same one I linked to just with the 2 e-fans, apparently the 4 row is NLA or everyone is out of stock. I found it on Champion's website but it says they're out of inventory and they don't know when they'll get more. Before the day's over I'll probably just end up getting the 3 row. My biggest concern is all the sellers are saying "for Manual Transmission trucks ONLY" yet the stock photo clearly shows transmission cooler hook-ups.
;Really

The plot thickens..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a company out there that has a radiator that will last, look good, and cool even better.
MADE IN THE USA!

but most are cheap @$$'es and wont front the coin LOL

AFCO!!!
supurb customer service.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most radiator shops these days will not touch our original rads. They don't feel that they can guarantee them for the labor they put into them, and so most will source you an aftermarket instead. We do sell a brand not mentioned much here.... Performance Radiator. Our customers have had excellent luck with these, and I have 3 of them running in the Moose fleet and have had no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7