Newest Project, 6 door Powerstroke

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought myself two trucks, a rust bucket of a 96 f250 ext cab, with a 7.3l 5 spd 4x4 and ttb front end. And the second truck that will be the keeper is a 93 crew cab extended to a 6 door crew cab. It has a 7.3 idi, 5 speed, 4x4 ttb.i will be swapping the powerstroke to the 6 door and also doing some upgrades as well as maintenance on the 7.3 while it is out.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
so far I have the motor mounts unbolted, the drive shafts are out, all but one bolt left in the turbo y pipe, the engine harness is unplugged at the main harness, battery cables unbolted, starter out, and all but one top bellhousing bolt. I still have the cross members to remove and take the shifter out. I also have the a/c condenser unhooked because the compressor is deleted..... for now lol.

My biggest thing is that the cab on the 6 door is lifted in the front with body spacers to account for the hump in the back, I'll be taking those out and leveling the truck back to the frame, by notching the back of the cab under the bench seat for the frame rails to clear. I'm also on the hunt for a solid front axle and all steering components. So far I have $1200 in the powerstroke, and a ar-15 in the 6 door idi. Once I get the idi drivetrain out, it will be for sale.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more pics of the 6 door please!
youre going to have to cut out quite a bit of the floor to do so.
mine does not have a body lift, and that's what I had to do.

does it have the front tank still?

IMO, since its done, I would leave it.
it will make future GTP-38 swap easier!
not to mention the downpipes are a pita.

im currently putting a powerstroke in a brick nose.
keep posting, maybe we can help eachother out.

Last edited:

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool! On mine, the frame is originally a ext cab long bed and has been crosscut and welded in the belly to be extended, I'll post a lot more pictures later today. The donor truck had a recently rebuilt turbo, and a new clutch and slave cylinder, I plan on rebuilding the injectors this summer and upgrading the hpop. I'm gonna cut the roof support out of the donor truck and add it to the 6 door. The only reason I don't like the front body spacers is when I go to lift the truck it will probably give it a rearward rake when it should be level.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a brick nose front end that galvanized aluminum. Looks brand new apart from the old paint lmao!

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That truck looks nice, did you make that hood and front bumper? Those tires are Bout the right size, what size are they?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you! she needs paint, but a few more things to do before then.
tires are 285 70 17's
i made the hood. grafted a 64 Tbird scoop to my 87 hood.
bumper is about to go, it came with a parts truck and looked better than my stock one.
an aluminum front end hua?
wanna sell it?
my next truck is gonna be a drag truck!

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool on the hood, it goes with the truck really good. Yeah I'd sell it, I have a good hood and new driver side fender for the 92 body style all I'm missing is the diesel radiator support and a passenger fender to have another front end for this truck. I'm in eastern ky, where are you. It's an entire front clip, and looks flawless apart from one small dent in the hood that had to be pointed out. I still have to go get it, about 30 min away, but I'll upload pics when I get it.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's how the previous owner fabbed for the rise, I'm not real crazy about it and will be taking measurements as soon as the outside temperature becomes a little more agreeable lol

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ouch, yea that has to go.

make sure you have a total of 6 body mounts on the cab.
i used the stock front two.
and added 2 in the middle and re-did the rear 2.
with the sheet metal being that big and long, i didnt wanna chance it getting screwed up.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great minds think alike, that's exactly what I was thinking, I was gonna rob two off the donor truck lol. Undo the motor mounts and the idi will be coming out. I'll pull the zf5 and transfer case with the powerstroke, but I'm gonna split the tranny and engine once out and reuse the zf5 and transfer case that is already in the 6 door. I was looking, the previous owner has cut on the back of the cab already for clearance on the rails. Not sure why he stopped there and raised the front of the cab only. I have lots of clearance in the back too. If anything I may set it back down and add a very small body lift to get it the rest of the way in. But it will be on all the mounts not just the front two of the cab.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
two beers later I have the donor trucks dash out as I am after the inside wiring harness and pcm lol. What else you wanna see, not real sure on what to upload and not to.