New transmission time

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks. But on a good note, the rebuilder is fixing it.

If the leak is steady the pump has issues. Most likely the pump bushing is bad.

No front pump...this one is a ZF-5. I think they either forgot the oil slinger, or the input shaft bearing is a little loose. I'll know more when it comes out tomorrow.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not an input shaft seal...it's a case plug that is leaking.

You must be registered for see images attach

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans is back and reinstalled in the truck. Hard to tell if they replaced the plug or not, as they covered it in sealant. I sure hope they didn't just band-aid it with a halfassed repair. I needed the truck running so I chanced it. Time will tell...

RedTruck

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm the one that led you to this rebuilder. I'm within an hour and a half from them and if you need anything please let me know. I don't have personal experience with them except on the phone. I have an acquaintance that owns his own garage that used to work as a mechanic for a Ford Dealership. The dealership used them exclusively for ZF-5 transmissions and he still uses them for his garage. I've not ever heard anything bad about them. Looking at that fix though, I'd be inclined to call and talk to the mechanic that did the work.

I'm very sorry for your trouble.

Paul

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

uahhhh im not the smartest man in the world, but this expansion plug is installed BACKWARDS!
compare this pic to the one on the passenger side, that one is installed correctly.

the fact that the plug is in backwards and the dimples in the center tell me that the installer is either
A) a *******
B) theres an issue with that hole, and they had to jerry rig it.
C) they didnt have the correct plug (metric hole and standard plug)
my vote is on A and C, but first and foremost, A

no they didnt fix it, they smeared RTV.
since these trans dont create pressure, it should last... for a minute.
if it were mine, i would be pulling the plug out, and replacing with the correct plug. with RTV on the sides of it...
and i would install the expansion plug correctly.

if you really wanted to be a PITA, i would tell them to pull it apart and thread the hole, so you can put pipe plugs in it.
or tell them to give you another.

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
No I believe that the plug is installed correctly. One goes in that way The other is opposite.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is the reason for this?
ive installed hundreds of expansion plugs,
ive even installed them this way. everytime ive installed them this way (in coolant passages)
they have always leaked.
ive always been told that they are supposed to be installed so that you can get a drive tool ( or socket)
in the indention of the plug, to ensure a tight and undammaged seal.
now im curious! just does not look right IMO.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Its not a freeze plug so to speak.As we know, A freeze plug is so if water turns to ice in block it gives ice a path to expand so the block doesn't crack. In this case , no coolant in trans, It is used to seal the oil in the trans. It ,I believe it is the end of countershaft under that plug and is installed that way for clearance purposes.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qSZ1BP-h3WgFLg~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qSZ1BP-h3WgFLg~~60_57.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 54

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I heard from the transmission rebuilder this morning, regarding the sealant over the plug. I questioned wether or not the plug was replaced, and if they just smeared sealant over it. They confirmed that the plug was indeed replaced, and the sealant is an added precaution that they normally apply on all rebuilds over ALL case plugs. Indeed, there is sealant over the external plugs on my case as well. He stated that my trans missed that sealant on the first go-round, and apologized for the mistake.

I've put about 100 miles on the truck over the weekend, and it's bone-dry underneath, with no signs of any fluid leakage. (which on an old Ford either means it's all sealed up, or completely OUT of oil!)

Thanks,

Ryan

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Thats great news. I hope the bleeding is done. Now go enjoy it.
I think you said you were in a divorce. I know how that is. Do you know why a divorce is so expensive? BECAUSE IT'S WORTH IT! Keep your head up.