New transmission time

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New transmission time update-NOISE FIXED see page 3

Looks like I have a little shop time ahead of me tomorrow...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it installed today. Started at 6AM, drove it to get a breakfast burrito at 9:00. Installation was straightforward, no issues. The good news? Vibration is gone, and I can use 2nd gear, both up and downshifting. The bad news? It still sounds like a coffee can full of gravel rolling down a hill at idle in neutral. That damn SMF clutch kit just flat sucks on my truck. Unless the noise is somehow coming from the transfer case, it's just caused by the clutch. I set the idle at 1000-1100 RPM to keep it from sounding so terrible. Surprisingly, it's very quiet at the high idle speed and nobody but me seems to notice. I'll start assembling the parts for a DMF clutch and eventually switch back. I drove it about 50 miles today, and noticed a fluid leak from the transfer case output, so I ran buy the dealership, and $30 later, I had a new seal in my hands. Got it installed in about 15 minutes, and all is well.

The transmission is a remanufactured unit from Zumbrota Bearing and Gear (www.zbag.com) and they were wonderful to deal with. The transmission arrived clean and bagged, strapped to a pallet as you can see in the photo. They included new shifter bushings (which I didn't need, mine were new 200 miles ago, attempting to chase the rollover noise from the SMF conversion) All said and done, the trans was $1600 shipped to me in Nevada. There was also a $500 core charge that should be refunded as soon as they get the old one back.

For now the truck is running fine, and shifting smoother than it ever has. I've had trouble with 2nd gear since I bought it, and after my fiasco with the SMF last february, I lost 2nd altogether. It's weird having 2nd right there when I need it- I've been used to driving "around" 2nd gear so I didn't have to grind in/out of it. I was really hoping a nice tight new trans would cure the awful rollover noise, but no such luck. At least it cured the other issues I had...

Ryan

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I did my ZF to C6 and gear vendors swap today also. I have a ways to go yet though, as my crossover pipe for the exhaust in no way will fit with the auto.
Thought you were going to go back to dual mass? I still need to bring 86 down to get it timed. I just drove a 1200 mile round trip with it a few days ago and it feels and sounds like it needs some advance.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna go dual mass at the same time, but funds wouldn't allow with the divorce and all.

Let me know when you want to set the timing on your 86. I'm glad to help!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans continues to perform ok, but I'm still extremely disappointed with the amount of noise at idle. It's not the "normal" rollover noise. It all started with the clutch replacement-, and I've replaced the flywheel due to being out of round, the disc, and the pressure plate with new Sachs equipment. I've installed a new transmission, thinking the noise was inside. Logic says the noise is caused by the clutch replacement since it started then. What I don't get is how 1000's of others have SMF clutches without the horrendous noise that mine makes. Are there not enough springs in the disc of my clutch? Is my IP somehow causing a couple cylinder to fire too late or too early and "shocking" the engine enough to create this noise? It's dead silent with the clutch depressed, but in neutral, at idle, with the clutch out, it's terrible.

I'm making educated decisions on this rather than throwing parts at it, and it did NEED a trans due to my 2nd gear issues, but I still haven't fixed the noise I originally set out to fix.

Comments, suggestions, questions, discussion is welcome. I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

Ryan

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Rollover noise is usually from injection issues. Mis firing or mis matched set. Even IPs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ive had 3 smf trucks. One only made noise when lugging it in first and second. One was noisy at idle till I put new injectors in and the other made a very slight noise at idle

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres the funny thing- the injectors are matched and the truck runs really really well. Im currently running my old DPS pump that I resealed and it SEEMS ok. Perhaps I need to talk to Mel.

I just hate chasing a problem that I know was caused by switching the clutch, and then put other parts on it. Either my old DMF was doing a great job of masking IP/injector issues, or this clutch really sucks.

Ryan

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah but hes changed it twice with the same sound. I doubt he has a factory turbo engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online