Transmission issues- rumble strip & hunting OD

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Zf swap can take a few hours. Isn't hard to do.

What exactly is the memory stick for the e4od?

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
That’s the series I watched last night!
I made it through 4 last night and I watched one at breakfast this morning. I’ll order from him and get the memory stick.

So it all went well?

Did you upgrade any of the parts to improve performance for towing?

I’m for sure going to diy after finding his video series last night.

Like I said earlier no fluff and very clear instructions
Yes. Tranny is in and have been driving last couple of months. Shifting is much more firm than when before the rebuild. I did not do the Trans-go Kit, I just did the Superior Shift Kit he includes, as a must have upgrade. I did do the center support repair which he outlines as mine was hammered out, (the large snap ring trick). The hub bolted to the center support on mine was wallowed out and I replaced that with the upgrade/update repair kit I got from him also. I also replaced my early E9 pump assembly with an F5 casting number pump. They were available 1995 and up. I got mine used off of ebay and did the normal rebuild on it. The pump produces higher fluid volume than the earlier E9 casting '89-94 pump which were less than optimal. I like the fact he points out areas to inspect and what to look for as far as potential issues. He's a regular Mr. Rogers for transmissions. Very thorough.

I also replaced my torque converter with a triple disc unit. The torque converter was my real problem. I wouldn't rebuild this tranny and use and old converter. Those things are a real pain as far as I am concerned.

Even though, I am still messing around with my FIPL/TPS trying to get it shifting better. That's been a challenge. I am actually looking at Transcommand and US Quickshift 4 to be able to have some control of how and when it shifts. Never the less, tranny is doing just fine otherwise.

Last edited:

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s great to hear. Did you consider a manual swap at all or just happy with the auto?

I keep thinking about swapping as there is a full set not to far away and for about the same cost and the rebuild parts.

I figure $1500 ish for the auto rebuild if I diy. Was that about on par with yours?

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
Personally, I would have liked this truck to be a 5 speed. But the fact is it is very clean, meaning not butchered. I am only the second owner of it, so I figured it best to leave it as originally delivered and just get it mechanically correct. It's a 1994 Vin K truck, 4 WD standard cab long bed. So it is kind of a rolling restoration of sorts. If it had been chewed up, I probably would look to switching it over to manual. Probably have like $1200 into it. I own a machine shop so I probably have a bit of an advantage on doing some of this work to the transmission.

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I was set on no new projects for awhile and was going to just rebuild my auto..but looking a the cost of a triple disk torque converter made the choice a bit harder.

Looks like billet triple disks are around $1200 alone. I just want minor upgrades for regular towing.

I like the idea of upgrading the pump.

But with all this I could easily pay for the clutch and full swap parts. I just hope I don’t end up taking weeks to manual swap if that’s what I do.