New transmission time

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
The LUK kit has 10 damping springs in the clutch hub, 4 large and 6 smaller. The Sachs kit has 8 smaller springs. From what I can tell, the LUK disc just has a better ability to soak up the pulses from the engine.

The Sachs kit was fine functionally. Engagement was smooth and easy, it just sounded like hell at idle. It was like that from the moment I installed it. I should have just stopped then and got it exchanged. I knew better. But I chased other problems, including a new trans before I got smart and went back to what started it.

Ryan

Im very happy for you. Too bad it took you awhile and some money. Im sad to see the sachs clutch go back. I guess the german quality is gone in todays world.

I would consider sending a nice letter and this thread to them and see if you can get a refund on the clutch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that one was pretty new as well. I remember that because at the time I was in college and could barely afford to replace it and did so late at night in a car wash as it rained outside. Ahh, memories...
:rotflmao

Now that's innovation. :D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I heard from Sachs. Apparently, I got one of their HD clutch kits, which is intended for a MDT application. They offer a standard duty disc that looks pretty identical to my LUK disc.

Sooooo does anyone need a MDT Clutch? LOL

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I dunno how a medium duty clutch could bolt up to a light duty flywheel and a light duty small input shaft

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. Maybe F450 applications then? Either way, it's weird it would make so much noise regardless do what it goes in.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Yeah there was a different clutch application for f450s

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new clutch has been great! ZERO issues, and it's as quiet as it ever was with the DMF. It's back to where I enjoy driving it again.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Great! Ive been having extra noises with my DMF. I found a great deal on rockauto.... $293 shipped with 5% coupon code for a LUK smf and clutch kit. They dont offer them together on rockauto. The flywheel is 109 and the clutch is 169

The new clutch has been great! ZERO issues, and it's as quiet as it ever was with the DMF. It's back to where I enjoy driving it again.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Trans is coming out AGAIN tomorrow. It'd developed a pretty steady leak out of the input shaft seal. Its not over filled at all, just seems to dump oil out the front no matter what I do. It's going back to the remanufacturer for repair on their dime. I'm getting both really sick of pulling the trans, and really good at it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Update:

Trans is coming out AGAIN tomorrow. It'd developed a pretty steady leak out of the input shaft seal. Its not over filled at all, just seems to dump oil out the front no matter what I do. It's going back to the remanufacturer for repair on their dime. I'm getting both really sick of pulling the trans, and really good at it.

Well that sucks. But on a good note, the rebuilder is fixing it.

If the leak is steady the pump has issues. Most likely the pump bushing is bad.