neutral safety switch

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck s getting so I need to occasionally jam the clutch into the floor and also put the shifter in reverse in order to get the switch to release. Otherwise it just clicks and no start. This morning was the last straw as it stranded me. I want to disengage it (more dangerous for me not to be able to start the truck quickly in an emergency than worrying about an idiot starting it in gear). OK, maybe I will just replace it. I took a look around above the clutch pedal and it is not obvious to me where to find it, I see bundles of 5 or 6 wires when I expect 4. How do I find this thing so I can fix it without wrecking something?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 5 speeds its located on the clutch rode before it goes through the firewall. Mines been starting to act up as well, i funk i may go back to a push button start just for the novelty of it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
What shape is the clutch pedal bushing in?

Sounds more of an issue with the bushing bwing worn versus the NSS.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with the ZF5 NSS issues, why not just unplug the harness off the NSS and jump its connector 9instead of running new wiring for push buttons and such)? That's what we did with someone's Jeep that uses that same style of NSS, there was even a jumper taped to the NSS harness from the factory and that's what we used

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What shape is the clutch pedal bushing in?

Sounds more of an issue with the bushing bwing worn versus the NSS.

How can I tell? I suspect jamming the clutch is probably a vibration thing on the NSS. Or maybe it really has nothing to do with it. Good point though.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
neutral safety switch or clutch safety switch? i feel like youre talking about the clutch safety switch.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean there is an NSS on the trans as well? Cause the ZF5-equipped truck I get to drive every once in a while starts just fine with the trans in gear, but needs the clutch pushed in regardless of the position of the shifter - in other words for that truck CSS and NSS are the same thing, unless there is a separate NSS on the trans and it ain't doing its job.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is what happens to me. Normally I depress the clutch all the way. The gear shift knob can be in any position. (Usually out of habit I put it in neutral so if I let my foot of the clutch for some reason it will not lunge.) Most of the time it starts. But sometimes not. I was told by somebody else who had the same problem that they had to jam the shifter in reverse to get it to start. This is what happened to me yesterday. I have no way of knowing if putting it in reverse really helped me to start or not. If I turn the key to start and then depress the clutch all the way in and out it will give a loud "click" every time so clutching is doing something. My guess is that the clutch activated switch is faulty. Maybe I am wrong. But clearly there is some electrical safety mechanism that is preventing starting sometimes but not all the time.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean there is an NSS on the trans as well? Cause the ZF5-equipped truck I get to drive every once in a while starts just fine with the trans in gear, but needs the clutch pushed in regardless of the position of the shifter - in other words for that truck CSS and NSS are the same thing, unless there is a separate NSS on the trans and it ain't doing its job.

I think you are right there is one clutch activated safety switch.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, that loud click you hear suggests to me that a big relay up front is energized, likely the one that triggers the starter - why your truck is not turning over tho I dunno...

Black dawg

Reaction score
A couple years ago a guy in a local shop was working on trailer wiring at the back of a pickup and asked another guy to reach in and turn the key on. Well the key was already on and the truck was in reverse. The truck backed him into another truck parked directly behind. this truck had the switch bypassed.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is why when I bypass the NSS for a friend I don't directly bridge the two wires but install a momentary switch instead, I "sell" it to them as an anti-theft device so they don't complain about the extra hassle of having to push it while cranking, but it is actually just so such situations can be avoided - seems to work good. The guy with the Jeep I mentioned before didn't trust his girlfriend to operate two switches at the same time, so he chose the permanent bypass instead...