Need Some Opinions on Dealer Possibly Blowing Engine

91FORD7.3

Reaction score
I have a 1991 7.3 IDI with a bucket/boom/utility body used to make my living. About two weeks ago I was driving to work and all of a sudden the oil gauge started going crazy and then showed no oil pressure. I immediately pulled over and noticed massive amounts of oil leaking onto the ground under the truck. The only shop around was a Ford dealership. So I had them tow it in and look at it. They told me the oil cooler failed and needed to be replaced. So they fixed that and when they were testing it out for proper operation, they told me that one of the injectors was bad and not outputting the proper pressure. So I had them fix this. Now upon putting the engine back together and testing it again, they told me that it threw a rod and it would need a new engine. So they want $2200 for the work they did before the engine blew and if I want to replace the engine. I will not be. My question is...Should they have noticed a problem while they were fixing the oil cooler and injector? The truck only has 112,000 miles. Is it probable that they screwed up and made this happen? I sure as hell do not want to pay the $2200 that they want. I'd rather throw it in the toilet. What would you guys do? What rights do I have when it comes to this? Thanks in advance for your help!!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Sounds a little fishy, but the fact that the oil pressure gauge went to 0 leads me to believe there was no oil pressure. It very well might of damaged a rod bearing w/ no oil pressure. The injector thing doesn't sound right, but they can argue that the rod was damaged due to no oil pressure. Good luck.

John

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
a bad injector can make a knocking sound. Now they may have thought that the knocking was the injector then when they removed/tested the injector it showed low pop off pressure so they figured they found it and swapped in a new one then the knock was still there so they investigated further and have come the conclusion that the rod is the culprit...

But it sounds like to me that the lack of oil killed it or that would be my best guess.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I've thrown a rod it's created a hole in the oil pan....

It's entirely possible that your original problem was a loss of oil pressure followed by a thrown rod, and they didn't catch it right away.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Highly doubt it "threw a rod", I think its still running. Sounds like it spun a bearing. Either way, it doesn't look good.
John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off, nobody can tell you that an injector is low on pressure till they remove it and do a pop test on it out of the motor. Now if they tell you it threw a rod (their quote, not yours) then is the motor now not able to run because it has a broken rod? Yes, you may have run the motor without oil to the bearings but.... You sure would have heard a lot of lifters running dry long before the bearings went dry or low on oil. What does the motor sound like now? The reason I ask this is to help determine if you or they "threw a rod". What is their determining reason for telling you it threw a rod.....

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The reason I ask this is to help determine if you or they "threw a rod". What is their determining reason for telling you it threw a rod.....
ICAN & 91FORD7.3, I been watching this thread & I've certainly had a suspicious feeling. Anything/several things are possible in this chain of events, but in todays "hi-tec" world it's soooo easy for them to talk lots of fluffed & puffed factual babble & have customers dazzled & believing they did it to themselves! Especially where $$$$ are involved! Especially if it's the dealer's/shop's $$$$$! Especially if they put an inexperienced "Tec" on it & he messes up!
(I notice many shops no longer have mechanics...they're all Technicians, and this alone sounds big....makes customers feel secure)

Ican, should have been lots of noise early on before bad things happened....unless 91FORD7.3 drove it farther than he realized trying to get off road, or loud radio.....
Either way, seems lots of $$$$2200 fiddling & diddling round before they found the "real problem"....if that's really it!!

just my 2cents....

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Yup, everyone want to blame the dealership for their own problems. It's the whole "I'm not responsible for MY actions" thing. Personally, and I am a technician at a dealership, I'm sick and tired of being blamed for other peoples screw ups.-cuss -cuss -cuss
Rant off. sorry

lgettler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rant off

There is a difference between a Technician and a mechanic. A technician will replace parts and hope one of those parts will fix the problem, where a Mechanic will diagnose the problem and replace the defective part and fix the problem.

An example of a Technician that changed an injector for me said the rail pressure at the injector was low and I asked him what is it reading and he said 1800 lbs and said the IP needs to be changed as it has low pressure. I told him 1800 lbs pressure is normal and he said it should above 20,000 lbs and I said thats for Powerstrokes and other diesel systems and he wanted to argue. I asked him whats the diffference between a 7.3 IDI and a 7.3 DI and he said none. Non the less I left and scratched them off the list.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
a bad injector can make a knocking sound. QUOTE]

I Agree!, I purchased F450 that the dealership put new injectors in, and then told the customer that there was a rod knock. IT was just air in the injector line.

Theck that out first!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
There is a difference between a Technician and a mechanic. A technician will replace parts and hope one of those parts will fix the problem, where a Mechanic will diagnose the problem and replace the defective part and fix the problem.

Ummm, u got it backwards. A technician will properly take the time to diagnose the problem, using all the tools and resources that they have access to.

A mechanic will throw parts at it until they give up or get it right. You ever hear of a "Shade tree technician"? Don't think so.

Go on, keep slammimg my field that I work in. :backoff Go buy $40,000 or so worth of tools and beat your hands to death, work for rediculous warranty times, and read all the time what a cheat and liar you are. Makes you want to get up and go to work every day. geeeez. -cuss -cuss -cuss
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
Dang John! The ride home was that bad, eh? You enjoy spending 3 hrs chasing a "no 4wd" condition only to discover the owner installed two wires in the wrong place when they swapped transfer case shift motors!:LOL

BTW-I like how you shut the door on the Honda today!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
What Honda???!!!!;Really :rotflmao :rotflmao
Punk a** CRX. Saw himcomming up fast and I figured I better put the pedal to the metal.

It took a TECHNICIAN to figure out your wiring concern. haha

Yea, Matt cried until about 5 minutes from home. Stress level was on the rise.......

Oh well, its all good.:thumbsup:
John

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I have a 1991 7.3 IDI with a bucket/boom/utility body used to make my living. About two weeks ago I was driving to work and all of a sudden the oil gauge started going crazy and then showed no oil pressure. I immediately pulled over and noticed massive amounts of oil leaking onto the ground under the truck.

Was the truck making noises at that time?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Technician or Mechanic. Doesn't matter. Technician is just the upscale term for Mechanic, like somewhere along the way Mechanic just didn't seem good enough. Like "Trash Man" became "refuse collector". All just political B.S. We've all heard of incompetent doctors, and those guys have degree's and spent more than 40K on tools. LOL All I'm saying is, it doesn't matter what the title or the field, there are good and bad in all. When I bought Lady Moose, this Ford "Technician" who was maybe 25 years old, tried to tell me that the hose to the coolant recovery bottle should go to the top of the bottle and not the bottom. I put my arm around him and borrowed a line from hollywood, and said "Son. I had 10 years of experience with these trucks, when your idea of a good time was watching bugs bunny, and knawing on a fudge sickle." I then proceeded to use logic in basic physics to get him to change his own answer. It was obvious to me that there is very little experience or training required to wear a Ford uniform in that shop. So, compared with my own experiences at MY Ford dealer, which has a guy who can run circles around most places, I've seen the bottom and the top of what these places can offer. The question is, where does this fellow who has diagnosed your thrown rod fall into?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online