Need help identifying a knock

John_piv

Reaction score
Hey y'all.
Finished a ZF-5 installation a little bit ago and went to go test drive the truck. Engine's knocking, hard. I was hoping it was fuel knock, so I cracked all the injectors; to no avail.

I run WMO, so I'm hoping its something gummed up; but I want to see what y'all think. Could be blown turbo as well. Tons of oil in the cold side, but that could be from the PCV.

What're y'all thinking?
(Fingers crossed it ain't to much to fix)

Video of the knock

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There was a discussion a few weeks back about how the dust cover saves feline cats, not catalytic converters. Jesus Freak is just trying to make a funny. I doubt it's the issue.
I don't know enough about wmo burning to really be helpful, except to hopefully eliminate that it's not the transmission.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long had it been since it was started before finishing the transmission install?

James

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought, I've been running it for about 9 months without any issues. My thought was maybe something could be gummed up and causing fuel knock.
One thing that's nessicery if you run a heavy mix of WMO like us Florida guys can do is a monthly blow out. I have to get hay once a month and it's a 60-70mile round trip with some steep hills and good pulling opportunities to get the EGTs up and clean out the precups, valves, and such. So if you've just been casual driving for the last 8mths, you need to GET ON IT!!!

John_piv

Reaction score
How long had it been since it was started before finishing the transmission install?

James
It started just before. That's originally why I did the trans swap, it I thought the clutch / trans gears had gone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online