Need help identifying a knock

John_piv

Reaction score
One thing that's nessicery if you run a heavy mix of WMO like us Florida guys can do is a monthly blow out. I have to get hay once a month and it's a 60-70mile round trip with some steep hills and good pulling opportunities to get the EGTs up and clean out the precups, valves, and such. So if you've just been casual driving for the last 8mths, you need to GET ON IT!!!
I am one of those Florida guys! I run 100% most of the time

bumblebeer

Reaction score
How are the clearances and engine mounts? Could be part of the turbo piping or transmission housing contacting the frame or firewall?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@John_piv may want to look the harmonic balancer over and make sure it isn't coming apart.
You must be registered for see images attach

I just dealt with this about a year ago on my 84 302. Before I found this I was fairly sure the timing chain had jumped. Ran like crap, and was shaking the entire truck apart at everything above an idle.

James

John_piv

Reaction score
How are the clearances and engine mounts? Could be part of the turbo piping or transmission housing contacting the frame or firewall?
Engine mounts are brand new, put them in like 2 weeks ago. Turbo piping clears by a hair to the cab, and clears the trans fine. I've had the turbo kid in for a while with the piping in the same spot near the cab with no issues.

John_piv

Reaction score
@John_piv may want to look the harmonic balancer over and make sure it isn't coming apart.
You must be registered for see images attach

I just dealt with this about a year ago on my 84 302. Before I found this I was fairly sure the timing chain had jumped. Ran like crap, and was shaking the entire truck apart at everything above an idle.

James
Any good way to see that without pulling the balancer off? I'd sincerely doubt it's that, but it wouldn't hurt to check

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any good way to see that without pulling the balancer off? I'd sincerely doubt it's that, but it wouldn't hurt to check
Truthfully I'm not sure. I wasn't honestly looking at anything when I started disassembly. Until that came off broken, it was just a part that needed removed to access the timing chain.

James

bumblebeer

Reaction score
I read through your ZF5 install thread. Specifically:

All right, so the shifter ordeal is solved. But the sh*t soup keeps getting thicker. Fired her up to get it moving, and that thing rattles like it's trying to disassemble itself. My guess is the flywheel that I used in the conversion has 7.3 weights on it (Flywheel is for a 90 so all the clutch parts match). I did notice the flywheel had a weight of some type on it that my original one did not. Can I put a 7.3 harmonic balancer / counterbalance on the front to balance it out? Or have I got to start all over again?

My original transmission that was in here was also solid flywheel, I know they make noise. This isn't noise. This is shaking. It feels like it's going to throw the trim off of the radio bezel.

Yeah, gets worse with speed; but it's still pretty rank at idle

You mentioned you had the knocking before the tranny swap, but I wonder if it could be two unrelated issues? Does the knock that's happening now sound and act the same as before?

I could be totally off base, but it sounds like you may have the engine very out of balance. With these engines being externally balanced, ideally you'd want to take both the new and old flywheels to a balance shop and have them matched. It sounds like that was what had been done to the used flywheel you picked up since you said it had some weights on it. It may have just been bad luck that the new (used) flywheel is "balanced" near the opposite of what you'd need it to be.

Or, another thing to think about. I know the SMF kits for the 7.3 come with bolts because the bolts for the old DMF wont work with a singe mass. I'm not sure though how that works when swapping from a t-19. Do you have any play in the flywheel with the clutch disengaged?

Sorry if you've already covered this. Just trying to throw some ideas out there.

John_piv

Reaction score
I read through your ZF5 install thread. Specifically:

You mentioned you had the knocking before the tranny swap, but I wonder if it could be two unrelated issues? Does the knock that's happening now sound and act the same as before?

I could be totally off base, but it sounds like you may have the engine very out of balance. With these engines being externally balanced, ideally you'd want to take both the new and old flywheels to a balance shop and have them matched. It sounds like that was what had been done to the used flywheel you picked up since you said it had some weights on it. It may have just been bad luck that the new (used) flywheel is "balanced" near the opposite of what you'd need it to be.

Or, another thing to think about. I know the SMF kits for the 7.3 come with bolts because the bolts for the old DMF wont work with a singe mass. I'm not sure though how that works when swapping from a t-19. Do you have any play in the flywheel with the clutch disengaged?

Sorry if you've already covered this. Just trying to throw some ideas out there.
Knock was Heard before, that's honestly the main reason I decided to pull my trans. I thought it was something related to my gears.

It's not a used flywheel, it's a fresh one from summit for a 7.3 and I think the 7.3 may have different balancing.

No play.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
Knock was Heard before, that's honestly the main reason I decided to pull my trans. I thought it was something related to my gears.

It's not a used flywheel, it's a fresh one from summit for a 7.3 and I think the 7.3 may have different balancing.

No play.

I'm not 100%, but I believe the 6.9, 7.3, and 7.3t flywheels were all balanced differently. That's why I figure it's always best to get them matched. But if the knock is just the same now as it was before the transmission swap then it sounds like that ain't the problem anyway.

Have you used a stethoscope to try and better determine where the knock is coming from? Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas. Or at least ones that don't lead to a rebuild, but I'm sure you done figured that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that it may be time for more details on the knock. Geos the knock change with RPM? Does it go away? Does the engine vibrate while it's knocking? Does the knock affect drivability? Is there smoke coming from the exhaust while it's knocking and what color is it? Can you describe the details of how the knock started? And several others that I can't think of right now.

John_piv

Reaction score
I think that it may be time for more details on the knock. Geos the knock change with RPM? Does it go away? Does the engine vibrate while it's knocking? Does the knock affect drivability? Is there smoke coming from the exhaust while it's knocking and what color is it? Can you describe the details of how the knock started? And several others that I can't think of right now.
Gets louder with RPM, doesn't go away. Engine is vibrating but that may be due to my flywheel. Smoke is light white while cranking and black afterwards.

Had just put a fresh fuel filter in the truck, I mean like maybe 30 miles. I was driving it back from work and about a quarter mile from my street, it just starts knocking. Drives all the way home without any serious problem, just sounds very concerning. Put fresh engine mounts in the truck, drove it into town. Sound was gone for a little while but came back shortly thereafter. Broke about halfway home from that trip and got towed back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online