Need help with troubleshooting a fuel issue

94f350

Reaction score
So I've got a 94 f350 7.3 NA that I bought a few months ago, on the way driving it home it died, thought it was the FSS, so I deleted it, didn't fix my issue, I've replaced a fuel filter, some of the lines, mech fuel pump, i have fuel at the filter housing but when I screw the filer on and try to run it, it'll run off of what's in the filter really good for a minute or two, then die, when i take the filter off, its half empty, is the new fuel pump bad? or is my tank pickup bad? Or could it be something else I am running a mix of diesel and WMO btw, any help would be great

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The classic way to do the diagnosis is to run a hose from the pickup side of your fuel pump to a bucket of diesel fuel. If it runs fine off of that then you got air intrusion farther back. Which could be a compromised coupling all the way to rusted pinholes in the fuel sending unit. If still continues to die, then you might consider a bad pump.

94f350

Reaction score
Well it is a carter and I've heard that they're good so thats why I was wondering

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is a carter and I've heard that they're good so thats why I was wondering
We actually had a thread about this not too long ago and it appears as though that Carter is probably just "chinabrand". Unless it actually has "Carter" cast in the pump, even if it was in a Carter box, we're suspecting shenanigans.

I run WMO and currently prefer a mechanical pump myself. I have whatever O'Reilly sells on my truck.

bumblebeer

Reaction score
How much diesel is in the tank? There is a plastic end on the fuel pickups that like to fall off. My rear tank is that way. Works fine as long as it doesn't go below 1/4 tank. If it does get below 1/4 might as well be empty.

94f350

Reaction score
I just tried a Jerry can and it ran a lot better, doesn't Rev up but it's got a leak from the fuel pump outlet, I suspect it's from that. Thanks for the help guys

94f350

Reaction score
I took out the plunger that shuts off fuel from the injection pump because I thought it was the issue but it wasn't to shut it off I just put it in 5th and stall it