my dyno numbers are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your question....
or maybe you don't understand the function of the parts in question.
During a cold start, the idle speed is faster and the timing is advanced slightly.
These are two separate things. The idle speed is faster due to that lil solenoid that pushes up on the throttle. The cold timing advance is one of the two plugs on top of the IP (the other is for the fuel shutoff solenoid). It pushes the advance arm on the driverside of the pump. Btw, this is why your truck rattles more when you start it cold.

When cold, if you have the timing advanced too far and the advance mechanism on the IP pushes it further it can be bad. Feels kinda like when you start to run out of fuel, the engine gets random revs when it should not.
My solution was to unplug the advance on the IP as it is not needed.

I just wanted to say the word "advance" once more....

Drew

I understand what it does now. That's what I thought it did but I was confused why you talked about it. Lol. I thought you were inferring that it advanced timing throughout the whole rpm band. My bad. Haha

And as far as being bored .001 it was like that when I got it. I'm pretty sure that's what he said when I got it from him but back then I didn't know about cavitation.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Well, I suppose you *could* trigger the advance mechanism to run all the time. I don't know why you'd want to. I suppose you could hook it to a manual switch.

regarding the being bored .001 over, I just don't know that it is even possible (I guess it is, but again... why would you?). Maybe he meant .010 over?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is probably .010 I'm not too smart about this stuff. Haha. But anyway with the timing thing I was just thinkin about that cus Diesel JD mentioned the DPS pump staying advanced through the whole rpm range and I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Don't know what it would do to an engine though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also am loving that dash! ;Sweet Now that would be a great technical article, with no real room for debate on how great it is!

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Ken, no offense but from what I've heard previously of your products...I wanna see video of your injectors popping off.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Ken, no offense but from what I've heard previously of your products...I wanna see video of your injectors popping off.

I may be wrong, but I think he explained before that his sticks sacrificed a bit of spray pattern for increased fuel delivery. :dunno Seems to work regardless...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I think he explained before that his sticks sacrificed a bit of spray pattern for increased fuel delivery. :dunno Seems to work regardless...

i would sacrifice a rough idle for hp numbers. none of my idi's ever idled great anyways so it wouldnt be that big of deal

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
i would sacrifice a rough idle for hp numbers. none of my idi's ever idled great anyways so it wouldnt be that big of deal

Really? Huh, NEEDS MOAR DIESEL KLEEN! :rotflmao jk

I think at some point there is a trade off...but the question is where that may be. Expanding on the thought in my last post, I think Mel and Ken merely have different goals about the injection process completion. Each having their own approach if you will.

Mel's Moose products seem to lean toward delivering as much fuel as possible with atomization and consistency (spray pattern) being his goal. Smooth running an absolute necessity, but still packing a punch.

Ken's DPS products on the other hand seem to lean toward delivering as much fuel as possible as quickly as possible via increased injection pressure and fuel rate ability (no pintles to hinder the rate, in theory). The spray pattern isn't so much of the focus as is getting that fuel in the cylinder to burn faster to make the power. A little rough idling in some cases, but delivering on demand when called upon.

If that makes any sense... Same idea, just a different approach. ;Sweet

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score

I think at some point there is a trade off...but the question is where that may be. Expanding on the thought in my last post, I think Mel and Ken merely have different goals about the injection process completion. Each having their own approach if you will.

Mel's Moose products seem to lean toward delivering as much fuel as possible with atomization and consistency (spray pattern) being his goal. Smooth running an absolute necessity, but still packing a punch.

Ken's DPS products on the other hand seem to lean toward delivering as much fuel as possible as quickly as possible via increased injection pressure and fuel rate ability (no pintles to hinder the rate, in theory). The spray pattern isn't so much of the focus as is getting that fuel in the cylinder to burn faster to make the power. A little rough idling in some cases, but delivering on demand when called upon.

makes sence to me! I would love to have some of mels products! ive never heard anything bad about them! always something positive about them! my hats off to both of them for continuing making performance parts for idi's! :hail i currently dont have an idi but im working on getting another one. im tired of driving a gasser that with air on gets 12mpg :puke:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with this statement. I believe each of their products have a niche in the idi community.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure would like to hear about new DPS products to be released in the future.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ken mentioned something about being in an issue of Diesel Power and I just got the latest issue and it said soon that there will be a story about the rebuild of project 300 cus it had bad blowby. So, my guess is that might be what issue Ken was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.