My arduino gauge project

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im doing the same thing your trying to do though I’m going to be monitoring a lot more things and I’m working on getting a layout figured out for a 3.5” lcd as the character display is just to blah for my liking. I may use 9 separate oled displays instead of the lcd for better daylight viewing.

This is using ford sensors,
You must be registered for see images attach

Version 1 still on the 3D printer

Version 2 made out of abs on the 3D printer

Oled display that I may use

Look up the chip below, it’s a 8 channel in to 1 channel output analog switch, these are cheap and allow you to expand your ADC inputs.
MC74HC4851A

That's some cool stuff you're doing...Any chance that you will be making some of those "digital dashes" available for the rest of us, in the future...possibly?
Really diggin' that "version 2"!!!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes, what’s the difference between boost pressure and drive pressure. I’ve heard this term, but don’t really understand what it is. I get what boost is,....
Just like boost pressure is the pressure ahead of the compressor wheel feeding the intake, drive pressure is the opposite so it’s the pressure of the exhaust gasses ahead of the exhaust stroke pushing against the turbine wheel. Drive pressure ratio is the ratio of boost/drive pressure, and ideally you want it to be 1:1 in a perfect world, but under 1.5:1 is pretty good as far as turbo efficiency.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think of it like this. Drive pressure is what turns your turbo. Boost is the result of the turbo being turned. I tried to make it simple enough for me to understand.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just playing around with some display ideas, this is a small 1” oled display, what do you guys think?

Night shot

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Looking good. I wish I had the patience and the knowledge to build something like this. Since I don't, I don't let it bother me. I'll just appreciate yours.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's some cool stuff you're doing...Any chance that you will be making some of those "digital dashes" available for the rest of us, in the future...possibly?
Really diggin' that "version 2"!!!

What he said. Depending on the display size, more than likely, I'd buy a kit if you offered one.

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not intending to hijack this th thread...hoping to add to the conversation.

hang on ...gots to git up on me soap box...ahh thets better...

I must say that I am (and maybe others) somewhat enamored by the sweep of an analog tach...;Really...and the factory zpeedo seems to work well for me too.
However, WE ALL KNOW that the rest o' the factory offerings to the left of the cluster...are lackluster.
Seems that a drop-in left side...upgrade....would be...just like that V-2. Thanks fer lettin me share!
Til next time...:bail

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a analog fan! Having a multi function digital display solves the space problem. Also, my aging eyes have difficulty quickly reading my autometer gauges. Especially since they have the nasty habit of fogging up :(

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. Depending on the display size, more than likely, I'd buy a kit if you offered one.

I’m not sure how well the lcd would work in bright sun light if it would be all washed out and unreadable or if it would project glare back at you. The other problem is cold weather, lcds get really slow and ghost badly which would make it useless till the cab warmed up.

The oled I’m playing with above does come in bigger sizes and full color which I would like to get and try out. I believe with the size I have above, I could get 9 displays to fit where the 4 gauges are, each display could show 2 sensors giving a lot of info to the user.

I have seen his work, but besides for accurate gauges, your not gaining anything over stock. Nothing wrong with what he’s making but it doesn’t fit the bill for me.

Not intending to hijack this th thread...hoping to add to the conversation.

hang on ...gots to git up on me soap box...ahh thets better...

I must say that I am (and maybe others) somewhat enamored by the sweep of an analog tach...;Really...and the factory zpeedo seems to work well for me too.
However, WE ALL KNOW that the rest o' the factory offerings to the left of the cluster...are lackluster.
Seems that a drop-in left side...upgrade....would be...just like that V-2. Thanks fer lettin me share!
Til next time...:bail

I'm a analog fan! Having a multi function digital display solves the space problem. Also, my aging eyes have difficulty quickly reading my autometer gauges. Especially since they have the nasty habit of fogging up :(

It wouldn’t be hard to make analog gauges but there isn’t enough room to add more than the stock 4 and I’m trying to get a bit more info out. The other problem is trying to make the plastic overlay and back lighting the overlay to work properly, that’s a huge undertaking just in itself. Could always do what the newer trucks do and make most of the cluster a lcd that displays analog gauges but now we are talking 32 bit micro, display driver, external memory and more that I don’t know about.

Here’s another version of the display, changed the icon so it looks more like a thermometer and added the degree and F to the icon giving space for another read out below. Any input is welcomed.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that with my dash and the 20x4 reflective LCD(with backlight), even down to freezing it was usable. Sure, you get some ghosting, but as long as your refresh rate is reasonably slow(every second or so), or the data doesn't change much very quickly, it's still readable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online