more hypermax turbo questions

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i finally got to see the truck i was trying to buy the hypermax turbo off of. The boost guage only showed vacuum when I took it for a short drive. The line for the guage was in good shape. So i pulled the inlet hose off. It spins easily by hand. Now the farmboy in me went and got the pliers. I had a kid start the truck I was going to try to grab the shaft to slow it down, but at light contact it compleetly stopped the turbo. I would guess that the exhaust fins are burnt or the shaft is broke. The guy that owns the truck thinks this truck is worth a fortune and doesn't want to part with the turbo. He wants a pile of money for the truck. I made him a low offer,before messing with the turbo. If he comes back at the low offer, is it worth trying to rebuild the turbo for my 89 f-250 or should I be looking at a new hyper max. What would it cost either way. I would like to put on a turbo then later an aftercooler.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...not sure stopping the turbo is a good idea when its moving. If you buy a new hypermax kit you'll spend 1750 bucks+around 50-100 bucks shipping, then you'll need to spend a couple hundred on gauges and mounts. For an overhaul of the turbo, depends on what it needs if its just bearings and shaft seals, you're looking at $100-350 and if more is damaged it could be as much as 500-750 dollars.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok i finally got to see the truck i was trying to buy the hypermax turbo off of. The boost guage only showed vacuum when I took it for a short drive. The line for the guage was in good shape. So i pulled the inlet hose off. It spins easily by hand. Now the farmboy in me went and got the pliers. I had a kid start the truck I was going to try to grab the shaft to slow it down, but at light contact it compleetly stopped the turbo. I would guess that the exhaust fins are burnt or the shaft is broke. The guy that owns the truck thinks this truck is worth a fortune and doesn't want to part with the turbo. He wants a pile of money for the truck. I made him a low offer,before messing with the turbo. If he comes back at the low offer, is it worth trying to rebuild the turbo for my 89 f-250 or should I be looking at a new hyper max. What would it cost either way. I would like to put on a turbo then later an aftercooler.

Interesting diagnostic method. Having never done that to a healthy turbo, I wouldn't know what to expect, but I agree that it doesn't sound like something I'll be doing to my turbo's any time soon. Perhaps a better option is to hold the shaft with your fingers and prevent it from spinning when the truck is started.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Fingers heal by themselves, but turbos don't. :D

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
My cousin purchased a used Hypermax kit from a guy on here or Diesel garage. The shaft was definately NOT broken, but the local turbo shop in Nashville still charged him $500 & change to rebuild it.:rolleyes:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you busted it by doing that or not...but I would check it for play. I was told that there should be no end play at all. Some of these guys have said that if there will by some play one direction or another(help me out here is that side to side or up and down)? just from having oil in it. I'd defer to them...since I have yet to educate myself on the ins and outs of turbos. If it didn't have excessive play and I could get it for a decent price I would go for it in a heartbeat.
J.D.