KansasIDI’s 1990 Ford F350 7.3 IDI Hypermax turbo - dismantled. Delete thread end of year

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it has the Hypermax boost gauge and pyrometer combo.

I only use high quality synthetic oil. Good stuff.
It's likely that the turbo needs a rebuild, but it could also run fine for years... I'd say get the up pipe in there, max out the fuel screw then back it off 2 or 3 flats and give her a workout!
I also suggest running an oil change of synthetic for the detergents and cleaning action. But I'm sure many will disagree with that. :fight:
Or, run a Pyrometer, so you don't melt your pistons :drunk:

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck needs injectors, plan on getting them from Russ.

@Nero
Didn’t you just get a new injection pump? Was it a moose? Thought I read that only Mosse had them, but can’t find that in the search feature so just wanted to verify.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Truck needs injectors, plan on getting them from Russ.

@Nero
Didn’t you just get a new injection pump? Was it a moose? Thought I read that only Mosse had them, but can’t find that in the search feature so just wanted to verify.
Yes I got a rebuilt set from Russ, and a pump from Moose.
I did have to send a core first to Moose, luckily I had one on the shelf ready to go. I don't know if they do a 'pay for the core' option, you could ask.

This is the one I got.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a couple of injectors out of my white 6.9 that do not seem to have metal in them that I will put in my 7.3 for now

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the injectors that was already in my 7.3 was a G code. The rest are B codes. :idiot:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One of the injectors that was already in my 7.3 was a G code. The rest are B codes. :idiot:
That probably doesn't matter these days. Each rebuilder sets them to his own specs no matter what's stamped on the outside. The only way that it may matter is if they're original and if they are, they're probably pretty worn so it still won't matter.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This injector was/is trash

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 10

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a set of new ones from Russ today. Finally got rained out, have enough time for my own projects lol. Got the afternoon off, was replacing input shaft and flywheel on a concrete truck this morning.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to say why I am not keeping this truck. It’s frame is really bent. One rail is pushed back. That’s why I decided to take the 7.3 turbo out of this truck and put it in my 86.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And here I thought it was because you wanted to have a 7.3 in your Bull Nose truck like the cool kids do. Silly me for thinking! LOL