KansasIDI’s 1990 Ford F350 7.3 IDI Hypermax turbo - dismantled. Delete thread end of year

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well late 03 and 04 were probably the worst years of ford diesels, they were plagued with electrical issues. And add the brand new engine design, with all of the new emissions crap. It was a recipe for disaster.

James
Right on. For some reason he is convinced 6.9s are combine engines, designed to run at wide open all day and suck at variable speed. I’ve never heard of a V8 in a combine, or an IDI in something other than a road going vehicle.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not that anybody should care, but the Scottsbluff NE job that my company is contracted for got delayed,
Well that explains that. I've been meaning to mention it, but never do remember to
His concern being that the turbo will probably go out pretty soon, since it has been sitting. I don’t disagree, what do others think?
I don't see why it would. Maybe he's too used to Dodges?
the plug that goes into the light had all the connectors corroded off. New plug and all was good.
Not quite like that. I had bad luck with trailer plugs before. First I was hauling an old 1942 John Deere for a guy with his trailer. I left Salina right after dark. I filled up at the Flying J (now Pilot) in Salina. I double checked the trailer lights there and they worked fine. I got pulled over between Russell and Hays on I70 for not having trailer lights. I couldn't believe it. The guy agreed to let me go to Hays so I could pull into Wal-Mart and get the lights working again. For some reason, there wasn't any power coming out of the lighting plug so I bought another one, wired it in, and went on my way. Then, a couple of weeks later, I got pulled over a little north of there in a different truck while pulling my trailer for the trailer lights not working. I got read the riot act for being pulled over for that twice in two weeks. He let me try to get the lights working right there. Since I couldn't, I got a ticket. I tried to explain that the first one was a new to me truck and not my trailer, but it didn't matter. After I got to where I was going, I unplugged the trailer lights, sprayed some WD-40 into the plug, plugged the lights in and unplugged them several times and then the lights worked. If I only would have thought of that earlier, I could have saved myself a ticket.
he doesn’t seem to think I’m very smart for buying them.
I wholeheartedly disagree!
For some reason he is convinced 6.9s are combine engines, designed to run at wide open all day and suck at variable speed.
While they can be run all day at WFO, they are also fine at variable speeds.
I’ve never heard of a V8 in a combine
It seems like I have heard of that, but I may be wrong.
or an IDI in something other than a road going vehicle.
There was a marine application for our IDI engines. I don't think that it was a very high number of them that were used that way, going off of what little I've heard about them.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite like that. I had bad luck with trailer plugs before. First I was hauling an old 1942 John Deere for a guy with his trailer. I left Salina right after dark. I filled up at the Flying J (now Pilot) in Salina. I double checked the trailer lights there and they worked fine. I got pulled over between Russell and Hays on I70 for not having trailer lights. I couldn't believe it. The guy agreed to let me go to Hays so I could pull into Wal-Mart and get the lights working again. For some reason, there wasn't any power coming out of the lighting plug so I bought another one, wired it in, and went on my way. Then, a couple of weeks later, I got pulled over a little north of there in a different truck while pulling my trailer for the trailer lights not working. I got read the riot act for being pulled over for that twice in two weeks. He let me try to get the lights working right there. Since I couldn't, I got a ticket. I tried to explain that the first one was a new to me truck and not my trailer, but it didn't matter. After I got to where I was going, I unplugged the trailer lights, sprayed some WD-40 into the plug, plugged the lights in and unplugged them several times and then the lights worked. If I only would have thought of that earlier, I could have saved myself a ticket.
I was talking about the plug on the back of the light itself. Those 7 flat, 6 round, and 4 flat plugs can be troublesome too though.
There was a marine application for our IDI engines. I don't think that it was a very high number of them that were used that way, going off of what little I've heard about them.
Oh, I forgot about that. I’ve even seen a truck for sale that had a Mercruiser 7.3 IDI in it. Good sized turbo on it as I recall.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of the truck. Please excuse my crappy photography lack of skill.

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpeg
    IMG_2043.jpeg
    710.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    634.9 KB · Views: 9

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange that it would run with the fuel solenoid not wired up. Turns out that the cold idle switch wire was connected, and the fuel shut off solenoid wire is botched. Put a new one on. Runs way better now. :Thumbs Up Still won’t stay running but when it is running, it moves along pretty good. Looks like nature planted a garden in my gooseneck ball hitch.

In the third picture, you can see that many of the wires on the starter solenoid are disconnected because sparks fly if they are connected.

Fourth pic shows my missing up pipe.

Fifth pic is cab corner. Oh, and that is not surface rust on the frame it’s dirt mixed with oil. Of course, there is a little bit of surface rust in spots, but still really good as far as that goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 10

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the third pic on this post, you can see all the wiring hanging down… MINT!!! :rock:

The baling wire on the turbo is also real minty.

There is surface rust on the roof, I presume from having been rained on with the paint stripped off. I sanded down a spot, and it is perfect under there. Couple of dents in the roof too, nothing too bad though.

My truck has a setback rear axle. 60” from back of cab to center of axle. Bed is 8 1/2 feet long, but only 90” wide. 6” from side of cab to side of bed. I wish it was wider, but of course, the rear axle being narrow dictates that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 8

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the fuel tank out. Shower head pickup is in pieces in the bottom. Oh and the diesel fuel is yellow and smells funny

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there something I can put in place of the shower head? Or do I just buy another one?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there something I can put in place of the shower head? Or do I just buy another one?
I just used a piece of 3/8" brake line and a compression coupler to extend the line to about 1/4" off the bottom of my rear tank. I know there was some kind of a bend involved in the extention piece, its been so long that i dont remember exactly though. Wish I had pictures but I lost them when I flattened my last phone with the dozer. :Thumbs Up

I have been running it this way with no problems since around 18 or 19.

Only thing I wish I would have done differently is to have used a flare coupler instead of the compression. I have always had the thought that the vibration could possibly loosen the fittings up. Will probably never happen since it is steel line.

James

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo parts are supposed to arrive today, and the return line kit I ordered shipped. Also ordered hard line delete kits for lift pump to filter housing and from filter housing to injection pump. And a couple spare fuel filters

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll have that thing going and reliable pretty soon. A lighter wallet is just what comes from owning a 30+ year old truck. On the other hand, you could be using that much money and more to make payments on a newer truck.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His concern being that the turbo will probably go out pretty soon, since it has been sitting. I don’t disagree, what do others think? Looked like a turbo rebuild isn’t too expensive. Russ is probably going to get more of my money lol
It's likely that the turbo needs a rebuild, but it could also run fine for years... I'd say get the up pipe in there, max out the fuel screw then back it off 2 or 3 flats and give her a workout!
I also suggest running an oil change of synthetic for the detergents and cleaning action. But I'm sure many will disagree with that. :fight:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.