KansasIDI’s 1990 Ford F350 7.3 IDI Hypermax turbo - dismantled. Delete thread end of year

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is completely trashed? What’s not working?
Nothing works. Starter does. Fuel solenoid is wired open. Ignition switch is stripped out. That’s it. And it’s because 70% of the wires are cut or disconnected poorly. It actually needs entirely rewired. Not sure if it is worth it, but these trucks have few wires.

There are lots of wires that appear to have once been used, but are now abandoned. Seems to be a collection of different kinds of electric lift pumps on the frame. None of them work, one is hooked into the fuel system. The wiring needs redone on the flatbed, and many lights need replaced. It is a mess.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing works. Starter does. Fuel solenoid is wired open. Ignition switch is stripped out. That’s it. And it’s because 70% of the wires are cut or disconnected poorly. It actually needs entirely rewired. Not sure if it is worth it, but these trucks have few wires.

There are lots of wires that appear to have once been used, but are now abandoned. Seems to be a collection of different kinds of electric lift pumps on the frame. None of them work, one is hooked into the fuel system. The wiring needs redone on the flatbed, and many lights need replaced. It is a mess.
I’ve rewired them. Let me know if you have any questions either route you take.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m replacing every fuel line. I want to fight the fuel system once, not every day. The bed mounts are kinda small, I’d like to fix that as well. Might just be easier to pull the bed to fix some of this stuff, just use a skid loader and some chains.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have one Edelbrock Diesel lift pump plumbed into the fuel system, but not hooked up to power. Holley Red further up by the engine, and Facet on the outside of the frame just ahead of the drivers side duals.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Have one Edelbrock Diesel lift pump plumbed into the fuel system, but not hooked up to power. Holley Red further up by the engine, and Facet on the outside of the frame just ahead of the drivers side duals.
Apparently somebody thought that they needed a lot of fuel volume.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently somebody thought that they needed a lot of fuel volume.
Only the Edelbrock is hooked up, it appears that maybe they went bad and rather than remove them, they just abandoned and rerouted.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renamed the thread for the truck, I’ll keep it for a little bit. Needs lots of work to be roadworthy though. I’m picky about no burnt out lights, even unnecessary add on lights. You have to see and, sometimes more importantly, and always just as important, be able to be seen.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Renamed the thread for the truck, I’ll keep it for a little bit. Needs lots of work to be roadworthy though. I’m picky about no burnt out lights, even unnecessary add on lights. You have to see and, sometimes more importantly, and always just as important, be able to be seen.
Amen to that. I learned in driver's ed over 20 years ago that people driving with lights on during the day get into 20% fewer accidents. I've driven that way ever since. Reading up now, it's closer to 10% average, with the 20% bonus during dawn and dusk. But still.

I have to admit I'm not as dedicated about the box lights on my trailer and such but I should be, it looks a lot better.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that anybody should care, but the Scottsbluff NE job that my company is contracted for got delayed, which means I have more time to work on me derelict trucks! Oh, and my grey truck has a Hypermax turbo back exhaust. Wonder what it will sound like after she’s all sealed up.

My dad seemed less than pleased when he saw my newfound derelict rig. His concern being that the turbo will probably go out pretty soon, since it has been sitting. I don’t disagree, what do others think? Looked like a turbo rebuild isn’t too expensive. Russ is probably going to get more of my money lol

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm not as dedicated about the box lights on my trailer and such but I should be, it looks a lot better.
Safer too. All the guys that run around with no trailer lights in the dark are asking for it. Some lights not working isn’t as big of a deal, but you couldn’t pay me to pull a trailer with my truck that doesn’t have functioning tail/turn/brake lights. Or with any truck. The other day my buddy needed a load of hay hauled, he had a trailer behind his truck and we put the other behind my Dodge. 2 hours west to deliver hay. Drivers side turn signal didn’t work. Took 5 minutes to find the issue and fix, the plug that goes into the light had all the connectors corroded off. New plug and all was good. That 5 minutes can be life saving. Pass somebody with people behind you, and somebody tries to, and they could rear end your trailer. Lights save lives.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad has not had the best experience with Fords, he doesn’t seem to think I’m very smart for buying them. His first one was an 82 half ton, 300 six snd 4 speed. Rusted out firewood rig. It was free, but the motor was locked up. He was hauling the motor in the bed of his brown 89 GMC, and it fell over. Broke loose, he put it in the truck and ran it 50,000 miles.

Several years later he bought his first brand new truck, a 2004 F350, 4WD dually 6 speed. 6.0 Powerstroke. It was in the shop every week. He had it tuned up something crazy, which didn’t help. Sold it 7 months after he bought it, traded on a brand new 04 Dodge with a Cummins. He has owned Dodges ever since, and is broken against Fords. He has owned over 20 Cummins powered trucks and a few Hemi trucks.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well late 03 and 04 were probably the worst years of ford diesels, they were plagued with electrical issues. And add the brand new engine design, with all of the new emissions crap. It was a recipe for disaster.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.