KansasIDI’s 1990 Ford F350 7.3 IDI Hypermax turbo - dismantled. Delete thread end of year

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I just buy the part from hypermax or does somebody have one laying around that they would sell me? Turns out my truck is only half turbo charged lol.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What, did you only have one up pipe? How did the rest of the exhaust go? So many questions... Lol

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rest of the exhaust is fine, but I missing one up pipe…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since they still sell them new, as far as I know, I'd bet that you can buy the new pieces that you need. Be careful though. Once you get that turbo on your IDI and get it performing right, you may be wondering why those Dodges are around.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the truck itself has zero rust, dent on passenger side door that could easily be pulled, and passenger side fender that could be pulled. Lower front valance is slightly twisted, seems easy to fix. The grille flew off in my gravel road cruising, landed in the ditch, plastic mounts are broken. Also partially destroyed drivers side headlight fell off and got… ran over. Passenger headlight is melted and destroyed as well. No front bumper. Interior is filthy, seats are torn, lots of auxiliary switches in the lower dash, and steering column cover is missing. Also window cranks are missing. Doesn’t start with the key, the auxiliary starter switch makes it clunk. Has the batteries out of my 6.9 in it right now, they are good, but the wire from the fender solenoid to the starter has zero resistance and doesn’t get voltage to the starter, has it at the solenoid with the starter switch engaged. So I have to pull start it for now. The starter might be bad, idk. Has a Nippen Denso starter, my 6.9 has a Mitsubishi starter. Air intrusion is a problem right now, it has been sitting for six months. It has some leaky injectors. I ordered new o rings and return caps and lines from @typ4 , just need a passenger side up pipe! :)

Wiring is axed throughout the truck

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they still sell them new, as far as I know, I'd bet that you can buy the new pieces that you need. Be careful though. Once you get that turbo on your IDI and get it performing right, you may be wondering why those Dodges are around.
No truer words are spoken, if ih out a decent turbo earlier even just like 8 psi cummins would’ve never gotten a chance

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dent on passenger side fender is worse than I thought. It crushed the core support a little bit, but I think that you could probably almost pull it out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 9

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So the truck itself has zero rust, dent on passenger side door that could easily be pulled, and passenger side fender that could be pulled. Lower front valance is slightly twisted, seems easy to fix. The grille flew off in my gravel road cruising, landed in the ditch, plastic mounts are broken. Also partially destroyed drivers side headlight fell off and got… ran over. Passenger headlight is melted and destroyed as well. No front bumper. Interior is filthy, seats are torn, lots of auxiliary switches in the lower dash, and steering column cover is missing. Also window cranks are missing. Doesn’t start with the key, the auxiliary starter switch makes it clunk. Has the batteries out of my 6.9 in it right now, they are good, but the wire from the fender solenoid to the starter has zero resistance and doesn’t get voltage to the starter, has it at the solenoid with the starter switch engaged. So I have to pull start it for now. The starter might be bad, idk. Has a Nippen Denso starter, my 6.9 has a Mitsubishi starter. Air intrusion is a problem right now, it has been sitting for six months. It has some leaky injectors. I ordered new o rings and return caps and lines from @typ4 , just need a passenger side up pipe! :)

Wiring is axed throughout the truck
So it's going to be a project. Welcome to the club. It will be worth it when you're done.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it's going to be a project. Welcome to the club. It will be worth it when you're done.
We will see. The motor won’t stay running, it needs new fuel lines and return lines. Already ordered. I put the Mitsubishi starter from my 6.9 on it. Wow. What a pain. It is wayyy harder to get a Mitsu starter on a 2WD ZF5 truck than a 4WD T19 truck. Nippen Denso was easy to maneuver. But at least now I have a core to get one at Napa. The Nippen Denso was locked up.

Truck has one rear 38 gallon tank, that’s all. Front tank is removed. Fine by me, one 38 gallon tank and no stupid fuel selector valve. My Dodge has a 35 gallon tank, plenty of range and its fuel mileage sucks.

I would just go with the grey truck, if it was 4WD. Jobsites get pretty gnarly sometimes. And the point of another truck was to have more cab space.

Maybe trying to find yet another motor for my white truck and keeping the grey truck is the way to go, idk. Have the title for it.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey truck has most of the paint stripped off, like someone was honna repaint it. Needs the roof sanded down, and the passenger side fender replaced. Then could be painted the dark metallic blue it once was.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Grey truck has most of the paint stripped off, like someone was honna repaint it. Needs the roof sanded down, and the passenger side fender replaced. Then could be painted the dark metallic blue it once was.
It sounds like you're planning to keep the gray truck. I think it's a good idea. You never know. You may find a good deal on a P O S F350 4X4 and then do a conversion in the future.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok ordered the up pipe, and a couple of gaskets for the CDR that are leaking.

@IDIBRONCO
Keeping the grey truck is sounding better all the time, but the wiring is completely trashed! Anybody on here who has rewired their truck?

@Jesus Freak
Now I just need a tow bed and stacks! Lol

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as rewiring the truck, if you consider a 3g alt, adding headlight relays, and a glowplug controller then yeah, that's basically rewiring the entire truck. If you made me an "offer I couldn't refuse" I have a IDI tow truck I can part with, LoL. It's got to be a good offer though, I'm almost making money with it now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online