Moose Fleet Rally MPG Results

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just came across this old thread in a search and re-read it for old times sake. I thought I would update it with the comment that after upgrading the Moosestang to a 7.3 with ZF5 and 3.08 gears, that it now gets 23 MPG reliably.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Nice thread resurrection.LOL I would say that we have concrete evidence that a 20+mpg full size 1/2 ton truck can be had by most anyone with some mechanical skill and the desire to build such product. That would be a great additional vehicle.

Now my twisted mind is going to work, I wonder how an extended cab with like a 24" flatbed would look on a Bronco frame?LOLcookoo

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Lady Moose - 11.32 (towing the Moose Lodge 30' 5th wheel camper)/QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I got on my trip to Alaska in 2008, Towing a 30' Jayco 5er 15,000 miles and averaged 11.3, but it was with the 99 PSD in sig. Oh, and 250 miles was on gasoline :eek:, Whitehorse Yukon to Carmac Yukon round trip.

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my diesel Bronco does the kind of mileage that the Moosestang does (I also have ZF5 and 3.08 gears) then I will be hunting up a donor truck for my '91 F150 before long. It's currently got a 460 that struggles to get 13 mpg.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great update. My bronco with the 6.9 got just over 19mpg highway pulling a 16' foot boat. Unfortunately the bronco was wrecked so I can't do more ****** until I get the new one up and going.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Nice thread resurrection.LOL I would say that we have concrete evidence that a 20+mpg full size 1/2 ton truck can be had by most anyone with some mechanical skill and the desire to build such product. That would be a great additional vehicle.

Now my twisted mind is going to work, I wonder how an extended cab with like a 24" flatbed would look on a Bronco frame?LOLcookoo

Hate to say it but figuring its 90% highway any modern half ton can get 20+ my dad drives his like he stole it and still gets 23mpg highway 17-18 city

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
This is true but Matthias is breaking 30 at a fraction of the investment of a new truck. Also the gassers will nosedive much quicker when you load them down. Tacomas aren't even acheiving the highway mileage of the Night Moose.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
You only mentioned 20+ which almost any 1/2 ton can get. I will admit gassers nose dive milage wise more then diesels towing but with the same trailer my dads 1/2 ton get 6-8 while my truck gets 8-11. On the flip side back when I had the open trailer the 1/2 ton could easily get more mpg towing then my truck gets empty (3k lb towed plus 1k in the bed then, now 7-8k towed next to nothing in bed)

All that said Id love to have a 4bt small 4wd one day (either Bronco, 1/2ton or 1/4 ton) for winter DD duty vs my full size truck when it gets to deep for the sports car (these days its more a case of I don't want to risk damaging the sports car so take truck even though car could make it just fine)

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I give kudos to the manufacturers, 20+mpg isn't bad at all and the 1/2 ton truck of this era are very capable. I do however feel that 23mpg out of an old Bronco is quite an accomplishment and a vehicle that could prove to be very useful. Heck, I had a beater old Pontiac 6000 with a 4 banger and it only hustled 24mpg. Considering most Jeeps, Explorers, Trailblazers and such only achieve mid to upper teens for mileage, a diesel retrofit in a Bronco or even a K5 Blazer with good gears and a modern overdrive is a very feasable alternative. I don't think this accomplishment should be undermined just because the most modern 1/2 ton trucks are in the same ballpark mileage wise.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking outloud here....

swap in 2wd 1/2 ton front end into a bronco, get zf and another od or e4od and double od like gary..and see if you can get more mileage out of it by loosing front diff and tcase.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any time you reduce weight, your going to get a milage increase, no matter what it is, so from that stand point, any vehicle can benefit from loosing 4X4. Keep in mind that the Moosestang is now riding on 8 lug wheels, and has a Dana 61 in the back (full floater, much like a Dana 70) and that is one hell of a heavy axle. I could have kept the 5 lug 1/2 ton axle under it (like what is on the Night Moose), but didn't want to, because I pull a 4000lb boat with it. It is essentially now a very short F-350 with a cap. I know a new Nissan SUV only gets about 17mpg, at least according to the owner of the last new one I saw purchased. I'd love to see how that Nissan pulls my boat, compared to the now very stout Bronco. I can idle up a very steep boat ramp, pulling the boat out of the water, without giving it any throttle, and without stalling (with 3.08 gears!). Let's see the Nissan do that. And I don't care WHAT motor they put in it.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really wish once I could take a road trip and drive at 65, and not 75-80. I know I could knock off 20 mpg. I blame the moose pump for the excessive speed.