Moose Fleet Rally MPG Results

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have half a mind to build a dozen of these with fresh reman engines, Do frame-off paint jobs, fix any rust and sell them for 20K a piece.

And Eugena(@PADOT)would make sure you lost the other half.cookoo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Notice I said "build" them. LOL

Yea. What a pipe dream huh?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mel,

Your could build them....... just move to another state that doesn't care like PENDOT does.... Indiana I.E. as long as you can show receipts and that you built it...... they will give you a title..... like what MIDOT did for Mater...... or.... there again it doesn't matter because we dont smog here.........

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we've all had that pipe dream at one time or another. If you were to use the 1974-1979 bodystyle, then fiberglass reproduction bodies become possible. That would make a sweet cruser that will never rust and shed even more weight.

I'm still planning on making composite panels for my truck eventially (we have the CNC machine now, but still have to set up the software). Once you have the ability to make bodies, the chassis becomes a much smaller problem.

A few years ago I actually tried to design from scratch a full size pickup. Never finished the design, but did get the outer skin and most of the structure figured out.

I have since found out that AutoCad is quite possibly the worst possible program for such design prototyping:rotflmao:rolleyes:

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't have to work very hard at it. Standard cab, short step side bed. The nature of the beast. An F-150 standard cab shortbed stepside has frame commonality with a Bronco. This one, being 2WD, and without the second seat, all that carpet, that massive Bronco tailgate, interior trim and fiberglass cap, and it weighs a good bit LESS than a Bronco. Undoubtedly the lightest conversion in the Ford F-series that you could possibly do. I have half a mind to build a dozen of these with fresh reman engines, Do frame-off paint jobs, fix any rust and sell them for 20K a piece. People would kill for a domestic truck that gets this kind of milage.

Alrighty then, it just sounds kinda low to me. No matter, the MPGs are where the story is anyway.
Travis..

joemac

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this thread just because it is so interesting.

Is the general consensus that a turbo will increase mileage even more? Doesn't more air require more fuel though?

Really how much different is a 3/4 ton long bed to the 1/2 ton short bed? 2 extra bed feet and the bigger rear? I'm not aware the frames or running gear are substantially different.

Has anyone regeared their Sterling to 3.55 or even 3.08? How does the E4od compare to the zf5? I think I'm getting ready to pick up an '89 with an idi and e4od.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
More air doesn't require more fuel, its the other way around. more air just gives the potential to burn more fuel if one decides hes wants to do so. I prefer not to in hopes of gaining MPG.

I just quickly looked over this thread about the 32mpg on the night moose. I may have missed it somewhere but what IP is on it?? Baby moose?

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does the night moose weigh? I'm curious because I still need to weigh my bronco. It just seems like it would take more then an f150 to get those numbers. He must be light on the throttle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the IP and injectors are the one that were on that 6.9 when Mel got it. Timed by Mel of course. The short wheelbase Flareside 2x4 F150, the tall gearing in the rear axle, the ZF5, and a careful use of throttle all add up to those great MPG numbers. Neat truck for sure. If you guys can make it to a Rally, you can see it for yourself.

Heath

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be fun to see it for myself. Makes me wish I could get my GV overdrive to fit. Shows what the right gearing and a light foot can do for mileage. What size tires did he have? Maybe I missed that somewhere.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Heath is correct. The IP and injectors are of unknown age and origin, and came with the motor. This thread was thick with irony, considering this was when "cash for clunkers" was all the rage, and we could have traded this in on a Nissan SUV that got 17MPG, and the government would have called it good and gave me a pat on the back. I did at one time have the exact weight memorized, but can't recall the number exactly. I believe it is in the neighborhood of 3000 pounds.

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3000..... Yeah, that explains it. Maybe I should have kept mine light. You guys should get another overdrive and put a turbo on that thing. I would like to see those numbers ;Sweet. Wouldn't that truck be a good test subject for your injectors to see if there is a change in mileage Mel? or have you already done such a test? With a staring platform like that it seems like you might do even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online