Moose Fleet Rally MPG Results

DragRag

Reaction score
Um... nothing. LOL

Seriously. I'm even ashamed to say that I have not even checked the timing on it. The injectors and pump are not fresh, although I have reason to believe that I put the pump in this truck for the previous owner, probably about 5 years ago. I don't know how many miles he put on it. All we did to this motor really is put a new oil pan on it, and new return lines. That's it. Oh, and it went home with one injector that was not the same injector as it went down on. We killed one on the dyno run. I'd love to know what this truck would do with a fresh motor and a turbo.

If you are going to do a magazine spread on the truck you really should try and get as much out of this truck as you ca. It may be possible that you coule get 35 mpg after you fine tune it and throw on the turb, and intercooler of course. This has the making to be a front cover deal IMO.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already obtained 19MPG with my truck and it weighs 10K empty. It was because a broken belt I kept it under 45 and when I was on the highway I sloed down to a crawl if I seen a red light ahead. This way 9 times out of 10 I did not have to step on the brakes because the vacum pump belt was not turning. So just about doubling the mileage in a lighter truck is possible because the motor is not working hard. Now could you imagine the night moose and what kind of mileage it could get with a 4 or six cylinder diesel. The gearing might have to be changed but I think it would be possible to get 40 or better.

Right now I get 14Mpg towing or not. I don't think it matters on mine towing or not because of the 9 foot tall box if I am towing a TT the truck is just as high as the TT so there is no extra drag from the wind. Also you will notice that my roof of the van slopes upward also reducing wind drag. The box is not being hit directly with the wind as most ambulances are.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following close wouldn't change the mpg enough for any measureable differance... I don't care what Mith Busters did with a car following a semi... Sure... It cut down on the drag but try to maintain the distance can cause you to use more fuel.... Constant on and off the throttle will kill fuel mileage....

Not really going by mythbusters, but I have noticed my truck respond slightly to even a small tailwind or following behind a relatively large vehicle. With the cruise set, I can watch the EGTs drop a good 50 degrees and boost drop by about 1 psi (out of an average of 2 psi total when in overdrive).

Its not gonna make a big difference though. In my case 2 MPG is about all I get.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
John and David bring up good points, what was the average speed on the trip? Master Moose has some impressive numbers for sure, but if he was driving 55 mph the whole way, and running behind the Moose lodge letting her "brake wind"(sorry had too) his numbers would not represent a true average. I'd like to see what he could pull down running alone.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
John and David bring up good points, what was the average speed on the trip? Master Moose has some impressive numbers for sure, but if he was driving 55 mph the whole way, and running behind the Moose lodge letting her "brake wind"(sorry had too) his numbers would not represent a true average. I'd like to see what he could pull down running alone.

yeah...but when I drive nice and easy, I've been getting 17.5. Which is great for me. If he was driving nice and easy, or if he was driving hard, It's not going to matter a lot. You wont see him down here with us under 20 no matter what he did to it. It really makes all of us think what we can do to our trucks to achieve that kind of mileage doesn't it!

I think broncos are an awesome vehicle and if given the chance, I would like to dump my engine and trans in one just for that kind of mileage. 20's would be a great improvement.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
crazy question Mel.....
the lil moose is a f150 with a zf5 correct?
What size are the tires on the truck?
The speedo would be for 235/85/16's with 3.55 gears. What are the engine rpms @60mph?

I'm going to go re-read the thread on that truck build.
Drew

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer these questions, yes the cruising speed was generally the speed limit at 65 MPH in most places. Going downhill, anything in Lady Moose's way better get the heck out of it, cause the wife lets er' fly especially if there is another hill ahead. It all averages out I suppose. As for the convoy order, it was a pretty good mix. In general, Lady Moose sets the pace, since if we get ahead of her we tend to need to watch the rear veiw on hills pretty good. Not so convienent. So most of the time it was either the Moose Truck behind her, or the Night Moose. We also keep a 2 second rule or better between us, as I'm always worried about that phone call to the insurance company that sounds like "yes, and the other vehicle was also one of mine... :rolleyes: " In fact, we generally like it best when a nice soft Subaru gets between the Moose Truck and that solid steel bumper I welded up for the back of the Moose Lodge. I pitty anybody that hits that thing. Yes, it looks like the standard crap 16 gauge square tube the trailer came with, but it most definitely is not. During the convoy we often leap frog each other, doing roll-by's to check tires, running gear and look for any fluids, so Matthias was never drafting in any way. His rear tires are 31" diameter on the return leg and probably were 29" on the way out. The ZF was formerly under Exiekiel's F-350 dually, and seems to be in great shape. The flywheel is a lucky mod running Motorcraft clutch and presure plate. His cruising RPM's are comprable to what the Moose Truck and Lady Moose turn as posted in my sig.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So...I see that you are only getting 15mpg on the MooseStang. Your boy's vehicle gets TWICE the milage. What can I do to get my milage to that...seriously.

SWS

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I see that you are only getting 15mpg on the MooseStang. Your boy's vehicle gets TWICE the milage. What can I do to get my milage to that...seriously.

SWS

You may not be able to get your mileage to 30 but you can improve the mileage by changing your driving style.

Following are some links on what I am referring to of changing driving style.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Hyper-Miling-Driving-Differently-Can-Cost-Less/Y73oiOCQdkOWiRUD8QtVdg.cspx

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/01/guy-can-get-59-mpg-plain-old-accord-beat-punk

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2008/10/01/hmn_feature10.html

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big difference between the Moosestang and the Night Moose is the transmissions. A ZF-5 is a whole hell of a lot more fuel efficient than a C6. Something I am about to correct. :sly Gotta keep those cruising RPM's under 2K if you want any real milage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I will add this information just for a comparison.... I got 18.9 mpg traveling home from the rally. That was 2100 miles traveling around 75 to 80 mph. My rpms were around 1700 to 1750 and I was in double overdrive using the Gear Vendors. My tires are the stock height and width and my gears are 3.55. Had I been driving 65mph maybe I could have gotten 20 mpg... I just don't drive down that area much and the rpms would probably been around 1400.. Kinda turning the motor a bit too slowly for me. P.S... This was with the Moose pump and its not turned up or down. Itsjust the way Mel sold it to me...:sly

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big difference between the Moosestang and the Night Moose is the transmissions. A ZF-5 is a whole hell of a lot more fuel efficient than a C6.

Amen to that! It is amazing to see the difference between the two. When I drive my T19 F250 after driving the C6 F350, it feels so much better. The C6 seems to waste so much of the engine's power/fuel to get it moving compaired to the T19. With the manual tranny, it's like my right foot is directly connected to the rear wheels.:sly With the C6.............not so much.LOL I'm likely going to add a ZF to it in the future, that way I have an underdrive and an overdrive.;Sweet

Heath

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to check what my mileage was, total trip was a little over 900miles for me. I only used about 30gal or less of diesel. So I got over 30MPG on Diesel....

Dont ask how much WMO I used!!! LOL

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big difference between the Moosestang and the Night Moose is the transmissions. A ZF-5 is a whole hell of a lot more fuel efficient than a C6. Something I am about to correct. :sly Gotta keep those cruising RPM's under 2K if you want any real milage.
so.. if a guy/gal were to consider an IDI swap for mpg gain, s/he would want A: manual trans, for less parasitic loss; B: long legs; C: Tires within reasonable consideration, so as to not create unnecessary parasitic loss.

My Bronc on 33/9.50/15's with a ZF and its 3.54 gears, would be ideal.

But if your average out the moosestang is 15... and my avg is almost that with a 302/AOD... (been 12 ish, but it was more of a v-5 than an 8, tuned it had to remeber what sparkplugs were, and have put 40 miles on it since, so hard to gauge yet what avg. becomes with the tune)what would the mileage driven have to be to recoup the cost fo the swap, I wonder.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my Bronc got about 10 or 11 MPG with it's native 302 in place, and the AOD transmission. When the conversion was first done, I was getting 17-18 with it. Then the ULSD hit, and it went down. :dunno It spins around 2400 to do 55mph, and that's like 1K more than what the overdrive equipped trucks have to turn.