Moose Fleet Rally MPG Results

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As promised, when we posted about the 31MPG on the Night Moose, I said I would back up that claim with evidence. Feast your eyes then on my $1600 Pacific Pride bill from last month.

You must be registered for see images

Turns out we were being conservative. It was actually 32.7 MPG :D

Analysis:
Disregard the third section, as that is for the Moose Wagon, which is just part of my commuter fleet (and not doing to bad for an 8000lb truck at almost 20MPG)

You'll notice that each of the 3 trucks all made the same fuel stops at the same locations with the exception of the Night Moose which had not used enough fuel by Bradford to warrant a refuel. By the time we got to our refuel site in Columbus OH, the scores were Lady Moose 10.25 MPG, Moose Truck 16.25 MPG and Night Moose 32.67 MPG. Keep in mind the Lady Moose is grossing over 16,000lbs, and the Moose Truck probably is around 9000lb. The Night Moose is under 3500lb. Between Columbus and Bowling Green there is a non-Pacific Pride refuel. Consequently the next number circled in Red must be thrown out. The Louisville refuel is now on the return home leg. Between Lousiville, KY., and Zanesville, OH., Moose Truck (now a little lighter) is up to 17.69 MPG, Lady Moose 12.37 (no influence of PA/WV hills) and Night Moose is down a tad at 31.5 MPG. Maybe because Graham rode with him, or because he now has new slightly larger tires on the rear at this point. :dunno From there, his figures continue to decline as he enters PA and runs into the mountains and gets back home. Lady Moose took on a tank of fuel from the Moose Tail in Minerva OH, so her figures are scued again by Clearfield PA, so that number must be discounted again. Moose Truck is at 16.86 thanks to the Alleghenies. So the adjusted summary trip averages were....

Moose Truck - 16.93 (towing the Moose Tail)
Lady Moose - 11.32 (towing the Moose Lodge 30' 5th wheel camper)
Night Moose - 29.71 (running light)

So take a 15 year old 2WD F-150, stick a 25 year old 6.9 with 300,000 original miles on it, a ZF 5 speed and 3.54 rear, and you get a truck that gets 15 to 20 MPG better than what detroit can offer you today. I think Obama should give Matthias $4500 just to keep what he has. LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel.. All this information should be sent to Jason or Mike at Diesel Power magazine and all the other diesel truck magazines. This is all very good information showing what a creative thinker can build thats way better than whats coming of the Detroit line these days.... :sly

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, this is basically what our diesel 4wd ranger will do on a good day. This is insane.;Sweet

EDIT: I just wanted to add that you have officially busted the myth that only a cummins or 6.2 chevy can reach the high 20s. Something I've been saying for a long time.

I think its time I started shoping for some timing equipment....

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel.. All this information should be sent to Jason or Mike at Diesel Power magazine and all the other diesel truck magazines. This is all very good information showing what a creative thinker can build thats way better than whats coming of the Detroit line these days.... :sly

x2

That is very impressive to say the least. Congrats Matthais and Mel!;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had mentioned to Matthias that he should do an article on the Night Moose. I think not only would it be noteworthy because of the technical achievement, but I think the magazine would enjoy hearing from a young person who is a very good writer, clear thinker, and not just another dummy with a video game controller in their hand. On second thought... that may represent a large majority of their subscriber base. Hmmm.... LOL

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Wow that truck is definatly worthy of recognition! For a motor with that large of displacement to get those numbers is just crazy. Great job you guys ;Sweet

DragRag

Reaction score
So this 94' 2wd has an 85' 6.9 in it? The mileage is fabulous with it for sure. What have you done to that engine exactly?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um... nothing. LOL

Seriously. I'm even ashamed to say that I have not even checked the timing on it. The injectors and pump are not fresh, although I have reason to believe that I put the pump in this truck for the previous owner, probably about 5 years ago. I don't know how many miles he put on it. All we did to this motor really is put a new oil pan on it, and new return lines. That's it. Oh, and it went home with one injector that was not the same injector as it went down on. We killed one on the dyno run. I'd love to know what this truck would do with a fresh motor and a turbo.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
As promised, when we posted about the 31MPG on the Night Moose, I said I would back up that claim with evidence. Feast your eyes then on my $1600 Pacific Pride bill from last month.

You must be registered for see images

Turns out we were being conservative. It was actually 32.7 MPG :D

Analysis:
Disregard the third section, as that is for the Moose Wagon, which is just part of my commuter fleet (and not doing to bad for an 8000lb truck at almost 20MPG)

You'll notice that each of the 3 trucks all made the same fuel stops at the same locations with the exception of the Night Moose which had not used enough fuel by Bradford to warrant a refuel. By the time we got to our refuel site in Columbus OH, the scores were Lady Moose 10.25 MPG, Moose Truck 16.25 MPG and Night Moose 32.67 MPG. Keep in mind the Lady Moose is grossing over 16,000lbs, and the Moose Truck probably is around 9000lb. The Night Moose is under 3500lb. Between Columbus and Bowling Green there is a non-Pacific Pride refuel. Consequently the next number circled in Red must be thrown out. The Louisville refuel is now on the return home leg. Between Lousiville, KY., and Zanesville, OH., Moose Truck (now a little lighter) is up to 17.69 MPG, Lady Moose 12.37 (no influence of PA/WV hills) and Night Moose is down a tad at 31.5 MPG. Maybe because Graham rode with him, or because he now has new slightly larger tires on the rear at this point. :dunno From there, his figures continue to decline as he enters PA and runs into the mountains and gets back home. Lady Moose took on a tank of fuel from the Moose Tail in Minerva OH, so her figures are scued again by Clearfield PA, so that number must be discounted again. Moose Truck is at 16.86 thanks to the Alleghenies. So the adjusted summary trip averages were....

Moose Truck - 16.93 (towing the Moose Tail)
Lady Moose - 11.32 (towing the Moose Lodge 30' 5th wheel camper)
Night Moose - 29.71 (running light)

So take a 15 year old 2WD F-150, stick a 25 year old 6.9 with 300,000 original miles on it, a ZF 5 speed and 3.54 rear, and you get a truck that gets 15 to 20 MPG better than what detroit can offer you today. I think Obama should give Matthias $4500 just to keep what he has. LOL

Cash for clunkers is a joke, and after hearing what they do to the vehicles afterwards only proves beaurecrats are clueless. We have had the ability to do what the Night Moose does for a long time, and Ford did it already with the Brazil market F series. Congrats on the big mpg numbers, you put compact cars to shame.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good. As soon as funds allow I'm going to get serious about making my truck get 15-16 around town and 20 ish on the highway. It needs an aux. overdrive and at least setting the timing right plus fix the return leaks. Still pulled down almost 17mpg going to see DeepRoots in GA on Wed so not TOO bad as it is.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, guys I feel really bad to even ask this but who was in front of the convoy? I don't think that even if the night moose was 6" from the bumper of the vehicle in front that it would make a 10 MPG difference, but if that vehicle was following most of the time it would make some differnce....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I wonder also if driving style was a big factor-Slow accerlation because he was staying behind heavier slower to accelerate vehicles? May be slower braking was also a fuel saver? I would be curious to see what happened on a trip alone.
Good job!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well I can say that taking a ride with Matthias at the rally he was shifting gears around 1700 rpms IIRC.
That truck is so light that the motor wasn't really even working to move it forward.

Now when Matthias took a ride in Golide and I was hitting the gears at 3k. I thought he was gonna pass out.:rotflmao

I was making sure I didn't have any oil leaks and I sure love the sound of the turbo spooling up.:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Following close wouldn't change the mpg enough for any measureable differance... I don't care what Mith Busters did with a car following a semi... Sure... It cut down on the drag but try to maintain the distance can cause you to use more fuel.... Constant on and off the throttle will kill fuel mileage....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online