Moose Fleet Rally MPG Results

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my Bronc got about 10 or 11 MPG with it's native 302 in place, and the AOD transmission.

Wow, thats crazy low even for a 302. My F150 with a mechanical propane carb (only manual mixture control) will get 12-13 empty and 10 towing. Propane usually is lower than gas by 5-15% depending on how well the conversion is done.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Get an E40D for it then. Or get bigger tires. I have 33s and a NP435. 4th is supposed to be 1:1, but with the larger tires, it is a little higher. Not sure how much but it is obvious while you are cruising a 65 (no tach yet).

SWS

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the AOD behind a higher revving engine like a 5.0 gasser, but the gear spread is horrible and my F150 will fall on its face rather easily at medium throttle. The main problem with the old AOD (non PCM controlled from 1980-1993) is you can't unlock the torque converter in 3rd gear or overdrive. So 1-2 is ok, but 2-3 is a pit with 3-4 being about as bad. Its ok for WOT shifting, but thats with a "breathy" windsor small block engine. A diesel would struggle to make up the RPM difference between the higher gears because the power band is much narrower.

At least the E4OD has a torque converter that stays unlocked during shifting to keep the RPMs more consistent. The later AOD does have a clutch style converter thats PCM controlled, but they also cut down the overdrive ratio (I think).

But since you can't bolt an AOD up to a diesel anyway, this is all hypothetical. I still think that its a great transmission for what it was because its a fully auto overdrive that needs no computer to run.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hat is off! (a few numbers from VO)

These numbers are great and my hat is off to Angem.

I can't believe no guys running vegetable oil have offered their numbers. For instance my truck has run the last 100,000 miles on WVO (waste vegetable oil) SAVING me $7,200, and counting, in diesel cost, over and above all expenses to do a cadillac conversion, outfit a very nice filtration room... My MPG and power are identical to running on diesel only.

The WVO is free, therefore, when I only consider the stuff I have to pay money for, the diesel, I get these results:

Drive to work, 50 miles round trip mostly Interstate: 70MPG
KY - Denver - KY, 2800 miles, Truck & Trailer 14,000 lbs, on 6.7 gal diesel: ~400 MPG
KY - NC 300 miles on 2/100 of a gallon = ~15,000 MPG
Comprable numbers have been repeated again and again on multiple trips.

Few people are going to go through what a VOer does to get these results. It can be messy, there are issues to overcome, but just like running your diesel truck, once the issues have been overcome, it is a very routine and easy to get these results.

BigRedWeather

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats crazy low even for a 302. My F150 with a mechanical propane carb (only manual mixture control) will get 12-13 empty and 10 towing. Propane usually is lower than gas by 5-15% depending on how well the conversion is done.

Man, my 302 (stock 2 barrell carb) F250 with a C6 gets at best 10mpg, but usually it ran in the 8 range.:puke: I'm really glad to have my IDI for my daily driver.

Heath

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't complain about my 302 anymore thenLOL

In truth, its been more reliable than my diesel over the years (and thats saying something!). Its also simpler with only a duraspark2 ignition. Can't bring myself to sell the ol' "150" so its just parked for now.

Mine has an IMPCO 425 propan carb and a 4 bbl spread bore intake with roller cam. The factory EFI intake and most electronics were ripped out a long time ago even before my Dad bought it used. Its probably spent most of its life on LPG now.

Mine is geared a too tall with the 3.55s and AOD. 3.73 or even 4.10 would probably be better. 302s seem to like 2400 RPM or higher for towing conditions. To think some came with 3.08s and AOD:eek:

Even I have to say thats unreasonable (for a 3" stroke gasser);Really

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't complain about the reliability of the 'ol 302 either. 340,000 plus miles with one cheap bearing and re-ring only rebuild thrown in along the line. I ate a head gasket once, but I drove it that way for over 150 miles without issue.

Heath

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just recently also did a long trip, not quite as long as some here, but 1064 miles, total trip average was 18.03mpg. Down through the Appalachian Mountains, into and around Gastonia NC for a day, and back to Pittsburgh. The around town driving, as well as some of the long grades through the mountains hurt it some. First fuel stop we had gotten 18.94mpg. Trip down was loaded lightly, 1500 lbs give or take, didn't weigh it officially, but it rode nicer LOL. Trip back was empty, but I won't complain too much about a 6000lb 4 speed 4x4 truck getting 18 average combined mpg.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, the old 302 is something else. My dad has a 94 E-150 Customized Van. Has all the big Captains chairs, TV/VCR console..... etc. so it is not light. It has towed most of its life, a utility traile with a 1k+ on it normally and a couple of boats, one 2500lbs and the other 5000. It has 236000+ on it now, has not been apart, just a water pump and a fuel pump. It is still going and is driven several days a week....... I think the 302 was made buy the same group that made the 300 I-6..... can't kill one of those either.....

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
One guy that was a co worker had a delivery van with a 302 that was rolling strong at 400+ thousand with just regular maintenance and a timing chain set every now and then.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The WVO is free, therefore, when I only consider the stuff I have to pay money for, the diesel, I get these results:

BigRedWeather

It's only free if you don't think your time is worth anything. It might be ok if you don't mind the "process" of getting "free" fuel. Do you file and pay your road taxes?

On another note, I saw the weight of this truck is around 3200lbs. How did he get it that light? I have a hard time believing an F150 shortbed with a diesel weighs that little. Hell, my 71 Dodge D100 weighs over 4k and it is a 318, 4 spd, 2wd, with no extra anything.
Travis..

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only free if you don't think your time is worth anything. It might be ok if you don't mind the "process" of getting "free" fuel. Do you file and pay your road taxes?

On another note, I saw the weight of this truck is around 3200lbs. How did he get it that light? I have a hard time believing an F150 shortbed with a diesel weighs that little. Hell, my 71 Dodge D100 weighs over 4k and it is a 318, 4 spd, 2wd, with no extra anything.
Travis..

The few hours a month I put into getting the "free" fuel is fun, that fun is my cost. The other fuel, I actually pay cash for. Yes, I pay my road taxes.

I'm not sure if the 3200 lbs you mentioned referred to my truck, if so, it actually weighs 8800 dry. The rig, with trailer, horse, 250 gal of VA people and luggage was 14000 lbs.

BigRedWeather

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, I saw the weight of this truck is around 3200lbs. How did he get it that light? ..

Didn't have to work very hard at it. Standard cab, short step side bed. The nature of the beast. An F-150 standard cab shortbed stepside has frame commonality with a Bronco. This one, being 2WD, and without the second seat, all that carpet, that massive Bronco tailgate, interior trim and fiberglass cap, and it weighs a good bit LESS than a Bronco. Undoubtedly the lightest conversion in the Ford F-series that you could possibly do. I have half a mind to build a dozen of these with fresh reman engines, Do frame-off paint jobs, fix any rust and sell them for 20K a piece. People would kill for a domestic truck that gets this kind of milage.