Missing fuel screw

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yup you read that right. The truck has been running a bit on the wimpy side lately and we took the 5er out this weekend and I couldnt get but 5 lbs boost so I figure it was time to tickle the fuel screw a bit one last time before replacing the pump, but I get to digging around in there and I'm not finding a fuel screw, and yes, I cranked the engine over another full revoloution just to make sure it was in the right spot.

I know that there WAS one in there, and Gary can back me up on this, we played with it while I was out in CA on my long trip out west .
When I pulled the cover off and all the fuel came out,I didnt hear anything go *tink* on the valley pan cover

Right now i'm a bit stumped, should I just throw the cover back on and run it like it has been or swap a spare pump with questionable origin that came with a used engine a few years ago on till funds for a fresh pump become available

Thanks----Robert

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the fuel screw is the leaf spring screw shown in the attached service manual scan. If it is missing, then the leaf spring is also going to be churning around in there between the rollers and the cam ring. I can't imagine that it would still run (at least for very long) with the screw and the spring on the loose, but maybe I am overlooking something....

I would check and double check again for the screw.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Robert. I can't see where that screw could hideout in that area. I know these pumps have two differant locations and one of them looks like its not holding the adjusting screw. Maybe you have been looking at that location. I know this is a tuff area to acess even with a mirroe and flashlite but gees.. How could is get out and not jam up the workes.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez; it's gotta be there or it's gonna trash the pump. Like said, the screw holds the C ring in position.

SEE IT

Attachments

• DVC01460.JPG
    DVC01460.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DVC01458.JPG
    DVC01458.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 15

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Found it . Basically suffering from heat stroke and got wobble headed ( heat index in full direct sunlight yesterday was 159 deg :eek: not those mamby pamby shade figures they spoon feed folks on the news, doesnt do you much good if you are going to be out working in the sun cookoo someone in my condition shouldnt even be outside in that kind of heat let alone fooling with trying to fix things :rolleyes:
I was looking in the wrong place. I shouldnt have even been outside yesterday it was so friggen hot, but we just got back from a trip and I wanted to see why it was so gutless and only gtting 5 lbs boost under load ( still found out the pump is on its last legs, only got one flat out of it before bottoming out, granted, I think I have the record for a diesel careless rebuild staying on the road but I knew this day was coming.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a LOT of light down in there to see it, and doing it in the truck is a ****** at best, even under the best conditions. I was gonna say, if you managed to have that screw come out and not snap the input shaft, you would be in posession of a miracle.