Radiator mounting screws spinning in place

87F-250HD

Reaction score
I’m trying to remove my old radiator, but 3 of the four mounting screws are spinning in place. It looks like there is a bracket on the back of each one which is supposed to be immobile but which has broken, so that the screws just spin and do not loosen. How can I remove these screws?
Here is a picture from the top (you can’t see the bracket in this one):
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the bracket from the front, through the grille:

Any suggestions?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I encountered that I was already fed up with that parts truck so I gas axed it clean off

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that you used genuine vise grips...you know, Irwin-Peterson or maybe an earlier style...

You can recognize them by the badge that shows two businesses handshaking...

These trucks deserve better than chinese knock-offs...please tell us that you did not desecrate your 'Baby' with inferior tools...

What I like to do when I know I need to take something apart that might give me trouble is to hit the fasteners with WD-40 or PB Blaster and let it soak...maybe a little heat first...

Anyway...ya 'goterdun' and all went well....isn't this group helpful as all-get-out...?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@XOLATEM you mean these ones?
They are old as dirt, but holy cow they work better than any other locking pliers I've ever used. I keep them at work and use them all the time.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep,,,do`s one`s.....

I have several set of the original Vice Grips.
Also they make the little 6" ones regular and needle nose, and picked up one that is made to clamp around a nut.

Hit garage sales and auto/car show swap meets etc... for good quality old tools.
I found an old Snap On 3/8" ratchet with a date code of 1945. Worked sort of, took it to a Good Guys Cars show, and the Snap On guy put new parts in it for free. I didn`t know they did that, Not bad for a $5 tool.

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Snap on has lifetime warranty on all sockets and ratchets, part of the reason why I get their stuff, and always keep an eye out for older tools.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are old as dirt, but holy cow they work better than any other locking pliers I've ever used.

Yeah...ain't it just a beautiful thing..?

Handshake depiction and all....you seem to have kept them in really good shape...

You see...vise grips were invented by a Danish blacksmith named Peterson...musta been a pretty bright guy...and sometimes an invention like that is dreamed up outta sheer desperation for a suitable tool for a specific task...

along those lines...

My Girl informed me one day a few years ago that the Swedes claim to have invented the adjustable wrench...according to a repesentative at the embassy...

I use vise grips so much with welding...I probably like them almost as much as my truck...

Used a huge adjustable wrench, too....

'Ol One-Ton just silently looked on...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@XOLATEM Here is a really old skool pair of original vice grips. Notice the lack of a release handle. I have a couple of these really old ones.

James

Attachments

• 20240205_175514.jpg
    20240205_175514.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 8

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Golly day...now THAT reminds me of a hand bang-up or two....

Those things are still in reasonably good shape...

I believe I used to have a pair of those 'way back....lost 'em when my car got broke into and my craftsman lunchbox full of most of my early tools got stolen...

I remember an ad for vise grips in a motorcycle magazine...the testimonial said that vise grips held a trailer ball in place in an emergency...musta been around early 1970's...

I hate to see what the threads on that trailer ball looked like after the emergency had passed....

I'm wondering if we should all have a vise grip exhibition...you know...show off our collection and maybe have a pin-up issue..??

As an aside....@Rdnck84_03...how thick is the metal on your welding table...? I am building one now and need to choose a sheet of steel to top it with...what has worked well for you..?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online