makeing the speedo work????????

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok once again here i go with my cab swap.92 cab with 94 diesel automatic wireing harnesses.this is going on an 88 with a 5 speed.i hope the following post isnt too confuseing:confused:

how can i get a speedo to work with out swapping rear ends?the new cab has the E4OD wireing and PCM in it.the 88 had a cable driven speedo.

can i use the speedo gear that is for the cable drive with the electronic sensor on it?when i replaced the VSS in my superduty the parts store sold me the sensor that goe in the tranny for the cable driven speedo but it also had an electrical sensor on it.can i use the electrical part of that VSS to run the speedo?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact this guy, good people to talk to. He has the ford electronic speed sensors that are gear driven by the tranny for $29, You'll need the correct gear that goes on the end and a clip too if you don't have one from the doner tranny or if the trucks had different gear ratios.

The Adapter is about 3/4ths the way down the page and his number is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

I think this is what you need, he should be able to tell you. Good luck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not clear which cluster you would like to use?

Adrianspeeder

im useing the 92-97 electronic speedo.only thing on this truck that will be from the 88 is the chassis,tranny and wrecker body.the cab,nose,interior,wireing and motor are gonna be 94

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im useing the 92-97 electronic speedo.only thing on this truck that will be from the 88 is the chassis,tranny and wrecker body.the cab,nose,interior,wireing and motor are gonna be 94

If you still have the tranny from the '94 you should be able to pull the speed sensor out of the tailshaft, put the speedo gear and clip from the 88's manual tranny and boogie...Otherwise you need the sensor I mentioned above, just make sure you put the manual tranny gear on it and not the AT gears ........#8SS. Ford speed sensor for the above driven speedometer gears. Will not work with a speedometer cable. $29.00

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 94 uses the VSS on the rear axle for the ABS system, and the speedometer, Your 88 already has the exact same sensor, but, it was only used to run the ABS. Basically, so long as you use the 94 chassis harness, it will all plug and play, and the speedometer will function when you drive it.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
The 94 uses the VSS on the rear axle for the ABS system, and the speedometer, Your 88 already has the exact same sensor, but, it was only used to run the ABS. Basically, so long as you use the 94 chassis harness, it will all plug and play, and the speedometer will function when you drive it.

Correct. You won't use the speedo cable for anything using a 92+ cluster.

Adrianspeeder

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
do you need one of these?
no gear on it but i pulled it from a 5 speed in a 88 t-bird. its yours if you can use it in your tranny.

Attachments

• senser.JPG
    senser.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7